Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

My application cannot connect to a USB device.

This is a discussion on My application cannot connect to a USB device. within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This might be in the wrong place, but the 'removable media drives' section of the forum has only 1 entry,

Old 06-30-2020, 02:44 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to XEyedBear Send a message via Skype™ to XEyedBear

This might be in the wrong place, but the 'removable media drives' section of the forum has only 1 entry, so its not heavily subscribed to! And this seems like an operating system probelm:

I'm running the application DigiKam under Win 10, trying to use its function to read images from the SD card in my camera, connected to my PC via USB cable. DigiKam reports is is unable to connect to the camera. At the same time (not concurrently)/same hardware, other applications such as iMatch, LightRoom, FastStone Image Viewer and Windows explorer are able to see and browse the SD card in the camera. And this scenario can be repeated on all 4 of my Windows computers, using the 3 samples of micro-USB 2.0 Type B cables that I have.

General observations from other forums is that the problem is that a an application wishing to read from a camera which uses PTP protocol, (the only option for my camera), requires sole, exclusive 'ownership' of the connection, which is not available because some other process in Windows has already 'grabbed' the connection. On this basis I have tried disabling 'automount' in Windows; the problem remains and has unacceptable side effects too: none of my vital backup external hard drives get mounted either!

There is speculation that the issue is in Gphoto2, which is embedded in DigiKam, to transfer images. Gphoto works well in a Linux environment, but I'm told it is known to have issues in a Windows environment.

What process should I be following to find the real source of this problem, so that I could raise a useful defect report to the DigiKam developers?
XEyedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

This is all happening while camera is connected to PC via USB cable....is this correct?

Do you have a card reader on your PC?

I can remember back in the day having some similar issues with cameras connecting via USB. So I bought a 3.5" bay card reader and installed that on my PC, front panel. I even had a USB card reader. Using both those options I never had an issue since.

I think it was the camera mfg firmware that was causing it but could never prove it.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, there is no problem when using a card reader, aside from additional steps in the workflow (a number of people have observed that it is quite 'fiddly' to get the card out of this design of camera body). But the card reader is a way of avoiding the problem, not solving it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
But the card reader is a way of avoiding the problem, not solving it....
Yes...that is correct. As you stated it seems to be a well known issue which brings my back to my theory of a firmware issue with the camera itself. Until and update is released I doubt it will ever be fixed.

But as I said, as an alternative/work around would be to use a card reader.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Maybe this will help you https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/extra...ng-camera.html
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Sadly not.

This document describes how the application works in the Linux environment; key items are missing/non-functional in the windows version: camera auto-detect is absent entirely; there is no 'list of cameras on the left' as claimed; the USB device is grayed out. The claim that the software will easily connect directly to the camera has proven not to be valid in any of my Windows installation of DigiKam.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

Can you please tell us, what is the Brand and Model # of your camera.
Oh, and on your computer, how many USB ports do you have and their internal color designation (blue, black, red, etc..)
Plus Brand and Model # of the computer you are using.
One more point.. sorry... Version of DigiKam you are using, plus is it the 32bit or 64bit version?

-sapphire
iamsapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsapphire View Post
Can you please tell us, what is the Brand and Model # of your camera.
Oh, and on your computer, how many USB ports do you have and their internal color designation (blue, black, red, etc..)
Plus Brand and Model # of the computer you are using.
One more point.. sorry... Version of DigiKam you are using, plus is it the 32bit or 64bit version?

-sapphire
I can't believe I have been so stupid as to not give this information in my original post, even after carefully reading it. Sorry about that.

Camera: Fujifilm X-T20, body firmware level 2.01

Computer1: Self build, using ASUS Prime H370-A mobo and i3 processor; 16GB DDR4; 8 usb PORTS: 4 BLACK, 2 DARK BLUE; 2 TURQUOISE

Computer2: Dell Alien X51 R1, with WD Green SSD, i5 processor, 8 GB DDR3; 8 usb PORTS: 6 BLACK, 2 DARK BLUE;

Computer3: Dell Studio XPS 8100 with OCZ SSD, i7 processor, 18 GB DDR3; 8 usb PORTS: 8 BLACK

Computer4: IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad 2746-EDG, with Crucial SSD, 4 GB DDR2; 4 usb PORTS: 4 BLACK

DigiKam 6.4.0. 64 bit