Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Missing Wifi Network Adaptor

This is a discussion on Missing Wifi Network Adaptor within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop came with Windows 7, which I upgraded to 8.1 2 years ago, and then to Windows 10 a

Old 05-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop came with Windows 7, which I upgraded to 8.1 2 years ago, and then to Windows 10 a year ago. The wireless connection worked fine as recently as early March 2020 when I used it in the hotel we stayed at. Then 2 weeks ago, I tried to connect to our wifi, but I received the message that I had access only through Ethernet connection.

I did a troubleshoot, but still the same result. So I did a factory reset, hoping that this would solve the problem. When I finished reconfiguring the Windows 10 (which took another couple of hours), I again tried connecting via wifi, only to get the same outcome. I then went into the Device Manager, and checked for the wireless network adapter, only to find it missing. After checking support sites for both Windows 10, and HP, I've come up empty handed. I need help. Not sure but it may also require a wireless driver.

Here are my laptop specs ... I have an HP Pavilion dv7 - 6165us, with the latest version of Windows 10, with Firefox as browser. Does anyone know a site where I can download the wireless network adapter compatible with my system?
Wisdomwithage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

In the Device Manager: View>Show Hidden Devices. If it's there, Update Driver

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

It appears that the last set of Windows driver's HP created for your laptop was for Windows 7 (64-bit): https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers.../model/5128852

If Windows Update does not supply a suitable generic replacement, you may have to use a little less-than-$10 USB-to-WiFi adapter, like one of these: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers.../model/5128852

Note: You may want to get one that has a Mbps faster than or equal to your WiFi router's maximum speed.
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

You do not say what brand and model of WiFi card you have, but HP has a long track record of using Intel cards.

Intel has been pushing out update after update after update to their drivers for WiFi and Bluetooth during the Windows 10 era. The machine I'm typing from has an Intel 3165 card, and it got its most recent update several days ago.

I strongly recommend that anyone who's got Intel hardware components install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant and let it do the updating for the drivers for its devices it states need to be updated. I do not know whether it's because Intel is not supplying these updates to Microsoft and computer OEMs, or whether those entities are "sitting on" those updates, but the updates are coming out from Intel at a pace that far outstrips what's showing up either in Microsoft's Great Driver Library in the Cloud or on computer OEM support pages. I have had zero issues on machines where I have the Driver & Support assistant installed and handling the driver updates for any Intel components.

And I'll note that there are only two sources for driver updater software that are safe to use: the one supplied by your computer's OEM or the ones supplied by the hardware OEM for hardware components on your system.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdomwithage View Post
My laptop came with Windows 7, which I upgraded to 8.1 2 years ago, and then to Windows 10 a year ago. The wireless connection worked fine as recently as early March 2020 when I used it in the hotel we stayed at. Then 2 weeks ago, I tried to connect to our wifi, but I received the message that I had access only through Ethernet connection.

I did a troubleshoot, but still the same result. So I did a factory reset, hoping that this would solve the problem. When I finished reconfiguring the Windows 10 (which took another couple of hours), I again tried connecting via wifi, only to get the same outcome. I then went into the Device Manager, and checked for the wireless network adapter, only to find it missing. After checking support sites for both Windows 10, and HP, I've come up empty handed. I need help. Not sure but it may also require a wireless driver.

Here are my laptop specs ... I have an HP Pavilion dv7 - 6165us, with the latest version of Windows 10, with Firefox as browser. Does anyone know a site where I can download the wireless network adapter compatible with my system?
Do you have an unknown device in Device Manager? Any driver download/update won't help if the hardware is not even detected in the first place. The card is most likely dead, or could simply need reseating to be detected again.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I have encountered a few HP laptops that the WiFi card failed but it was the controller and not the card, replacing the card did not fix it. Something to do with the laptops heat overtime and failing the WiFi controller chip.
First boot into Setup (Bios) under System Information say anything about a WiFi adapter? If it is disabled using your Enter and Arrow key Enable it.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote