Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Microsoft now offering Windows 10 upgrade during Windows 8.1 setup process

This is a discussion on Microsoft now offering Windows 10 upgrade during Windows 8.1 setup process within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Over the last couple of weeks, Microsoft began advertising Windows 10 to existing Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. Those

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Over the last couple of weeks, Microsoft began advertising Windows 10 to existing Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. Those who are regularly up to date via Windows Update should now have the option to reserve a copy of Windows 10 via the system tray, which will put you in for pre-downloading Windows 10 before July 29th. Earlier this week, Microsoft released another update for Windows 8.1 users, which puts reserving Windows 10 at the forefront of Windows, literally during the Windows 8.1 setup process and even before reaching the desktop.

This new update allows users to reserve Windows 10 within the OOBE (out of box experience) when first booting a new install or setting up a newly purchased PC. The ability to reserve comes after you setup your account, but before you even reach the desktop. This means that new users who recently purchased a Windows 8.1 device simply can't miss the chance to reserve Windows 10. This also appears if you clean install Windows 8.1 with November Update roll-up and are connected to the internet.
Microsoft now offering Windows 10 upgrade during Windows 8.1 setup process

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 03:46 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Microsoft really wants to make sure people are aware of win10. I guess they need something to brag about when win10 is finally released.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:52 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Nagware is getting serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Troubled

Personally I don't view it as nagware, I think it's pretty cool that we are getting windows 10 for free, and I think the way they are trying to deliver it is also pretty cool.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

It is considering you don't have to worry about downloading a 4+ GB ISO.

Microsoft says the files for Windows 10 are being downloaded over x-period of time, which the user won't even notice.

That of course will allow more people to install Windows 10 on D-day than were able to install W8.1 because they were unable to download it due to very heavy traffic.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'm on satellite with limited bandwidth per month, waiting to learn more about the 'forced' updates on windows 10 before I even consider it.

Edit: And I really want to know what they mean by 'free for life'.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
I'm on satellite with limited bandwidth per month, waiting to learn more about the 'forced' updates on windows 10 before I even consider it.

Edit: And I really want to know what they mean by 'free for life'.

there won't be any forced updates unless you reserved it and your settings allow auto updates.

win10 is just an upgrade. The eula has not been released for it yet but based on past versions, it would be no different than any other past versions of microsoft windows. As long as you have a legit windows version installed to justify the upgrade, you can continue to use it as long as you want. And since it is a download, if the computer crash, you should be able to download it again if needed for free.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'm talking about the weekly updates/fixes etc, everything I read says it will not be adjustable. I set all my software to notify only, then install/download them on my 'free' time
Old 06-17-2015, 02:40 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
I'm talking about the weekly updates/fixes etc, everything I read says it will not be adjustable. I set all my software to notify only, then install/download them on my 'free' time
since the current released is just a technical preview for testing, any feature is subject to change. Also some features are turned off for testing purposes. Until it is released in July, do not put much stock in what you read about features or the lack of features. Nobody really knows.