Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Microphone echo and buzzing

This is a discussion on Microphone echo and buzzing within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've had this microphone issue for the past 3 years, have made multiple forum posts about it and nothing, no

Old 02-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've had this microphone issue for the past 3 years, have made multiple forum posts about it and nothing, no replies nothing so I'm testing my luck again. My microphone has a constant buzzing noise and echoes everything like gameplay music and everything. All my online partners complain about it and I complain about it when I need to record my voice for whatever reason. To conclude, get me out of this 3-year hell hole once in for all.
YungHype is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

Much more information is needed. The easiest way to give any potential assistants all of it:
---------------------------------
Using Piriform’s Speccy to Collect Your Computer’s Hardware & Software Specifications
1. Go to the Piriform Speccy Download Page and download the program.
2. Run the installer you’ve just downloaded.
a. Note: The Speccy free installer may now come with Avast and the Google Chrome browser bundled with it (or something else, what’s bundled has changed over time). Make sure that you UNCHECK the options to install any bundled software when you see the checkboxes during the Speccy install sequence. When you reach the end, uncheck the View Release Notes checkbox, then activate the Run Speccy button.
You will then be presented the Speccy Main Window:

3. From the File Menu, activate the “Publish Snapshot” item [or press ALT+F,B]:

4. You will now be presented with the Publish Snapshot Dialog:

You will, of course, activate the Yes button.

5. Finally, you will be presented with the Snapshot URL Dialog:

on which you will activate the Copy to Clipboard button so that you will have the snapshot web address to paste into your message.

Note: If you want to save your system specs to a text file, at step 3 choose the Save as Text File option at step 3. This can be handy if you need to e-mail your specs.
--------------------------------

Please also include the make and model of your computer and the microphone if it is not built in to the machine itself.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry for the late response.

https://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...j7SezKdURH6HLe

im using the mic of a Razer Kraken X plugged into the 3.5 mm jacks using a splitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

Before we go any further, have you followed the suggestions from Razer, here:
https://support.razer.com/gaming-hea...azer-kraken-x/
Old 02-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Tried everything on it and no difference as stated by my friend in a discord call.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

Have you checked your cables? Used another microphone?

Any situation like this requires the process of elimination to figure out where the root of the problem lies. You could have a bad headset, bad splitter cable, bad sound card, out of date drivers, and the list goes on and on.

The first thing to try is a different headset or to plug the headset directly into the microphone jack just to see if the mic behaves any differently. If it behaves differently, suspect the splitter, if not, try a different mic to see if it's OK in that jack as the starting point.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

I’ve had this problem with my past 2 headsets, I’ve tried 2 different cable splitters and still have this problem. I’ve noticed that when my mic is muted they can still hear my computers sound.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team

My System

Then all indications are that it's something with the computer itself.

What you describe can be indicative of problems with grounding, particularly for things like the fans, which can cause exactly this sort of buzzing.

You would need someone skilled at going through the system hardware to determine what the actual issue is. This is not likely something for which anyone, on any forum, is going to have a magic bullet.

You've clearly done a lot of the preliminary diagnostic steps already and every last thing you keep adding points to a hardware issue. The only DIY things I can think of is checking the connections of the various components to the mobo and power rail as well as pulling and reseating the sound card.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:23 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Buy a cheap USB sound card (with a mic jack port), go into BIOS and disable the on-board audio (realtek) and try the USB one.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

Don't know about Windows 10 (or off hand where the setting is), but a while back in Windows 7, I had this problem and found advice about lowering the bitrate of playback. It worked for me. In control panel in W7 the option was in "Speakers" or in the Realtek or whatever sound driver software. I think the replay rate was set to 96k, and I changed it to 48k. Worked that time for me.

Attached shows the Realtek adjustment on this PC. Don't recall changing it on this PC.

I see something similar was mentioned in the Razr instructions, but that is for the microphone. I changed the bitrate for playback...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Realtek.png
Views:	4
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	325274  
AtlBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
Registered Member

Greetings YungHype

May I request more details? It is very difficult to diagnose at a distance and lots of detail paints a fuller picture in the mind of the reader.

Without knowing more, I would recommend turning everything off. That is, find all the controls of every audio device that is attached to the computer and switch it off. Then bring everything back up to a reasonable level, one at a time. If you make more than one change at a time it makes diagnosis more difficult.

I remember hearing an "echo" on my laptop. It was because the level of the internal microphone had been turned up. I did not know that and the sound from the loudspeakers was feeding back to the microphone. Turning the internal microphone control down to minimum stopped the feedback and eliminated the problem.

In another situation, a friend was trying to make a recording on her laptop from an external source. The incoming signal was free of noise and there was no incoming hum. Her resulting recording had loud hum, persistent buzz and the audio signal was soft. It turned out that she had plugged the incoming signal into the headphone output. Because the computer did not seem to be recording, she turned the microphone control to full on. The result was that some of the sound came from the headphone connector along with hum and buzz. Hum from the mains and buzz from the computer.

I am not saying that this is what your problem is. I just hope to trigger a thought. So, move slowly, test repeatedly, make one change at a time.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards

Tuxtype
tuxtype is offline   Reply With Quote