Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Mapped Network Drive slow/not automatically connecting

This is a discussion on Mapped Network Drive slow/not automatically connecting within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My desktop PC and HTPC have both been running Windows 10 32-bit without a problem for atleast two weeks now.

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

My desktop PC and HTPC have both been running Windows 10 32-bit without a problem for atleast two weeks now. Today I started having problems. I have media drive that's stored on my desktop PC that is being shared over the network so I can view my movies and TV shows on my HTPC. Today, the files stopped opening. If I double-click the videos, it takes an unusually 10-15 seconds for the file to open in VLC but then VLC doesn't play it. When I click "Play" nothing happens. The odd thing is that all the movies and tv shows from the mapped network drive play fine when I'm accessing them from the computer that the drive is directly connected to. I tried copying some photos to the mapped network drive to see if those will be able to be opened on the HTPC but it takes a very long time to open a photo and it freezes up when I'm moving back and forth between photos in the folder. Something here is making my files very slow to access. The HTPC is connected via an Ethernet cable to my router. Has been that way for ages, never had any issues. The mapped HD always connected on startup upon turning on the HTPC. Now, 50% of the time, it doesn't manage to automatically connect on startup.
Is the 'freedom of choice and action' that is offered to the individual, freedom to decide for himself what is moral or immoral, society remaining neutral; or is it freedom to be immoral if he wants to be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would also like to add that I have no issues browsing videos, photos and documents from other mapped network drives such as those from my family members' laptops.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Go to Start/Search and type the server (remote computer) name the movies are on (eg) \\ComputerName and press enter. Can you access it now? If so, then disconnect the mapped drive and then re-Map it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I had already tried re-mapping the drive with no success.

This has now been resolved. It had something to do with the Oracle VM VirtualBox application that I had running on my desktop PC. I'm not sure how that was interfering with my mapped drive but it was. As soon as I uninstalled the software from my desktop PC, the issue resolved itself.
Is the 'freedom of choice and action' that is offered to the individual, freedom to decide for himself what is moral or immoral, society remaining neutral; or is it freedom to be immoral if he wants to be?
Old 09-18-2015, 02:07 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Glad to hear you got it sorted. Please Mark this thread Solved in the thread tools at the top.
Attached Images

Closed Thread