Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

long delay for right click in explorer after update to 1909.

This is a discussion on long delay for right click in explorer after update to 1909. within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Updated to v1909 this morning, since then when I use right click on a folder in explorer, there is a

Old 02-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Updated to v1909 this morning, since then when I use right click on a folder in explorer, there is a delay of several minutes before the context menu shows up.
When it does pop up, it will often pop up while in firefox. (which leaves me trying to remember what I was trying to do!)

It only happens when right clicking a folder or a disk, clicking a file works normally.

After the update, my mouse was listed as a generic hid compliant device, with microsoft driver so I reinstalled the correct driver, but problem remains.

Also had openshell installed, thought that may have caused an issue, but it remained after uninstalling it.

(the update also messed with a lot of my settings.)

Any ideas?

thanks!
kendallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

After looking through my system, the only real difference I see is an autorun/startup named "winlogon" with a command for 'explorer.exe' type 'log on shell' (winpatrol)

This is win 10 pro, v1909 build 18363,418

edit:
uninstall, test and reinstall open start did nothing to change the behavior.
(yeah, I still don't care for the w10 start menu!)
Old 02-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Winlogon is the process that logs you into Windows. Do you have any 3rd party Anti-Virus software? if so, you don't need it. Windows Security (Defender) works great.
Press the Windows key+X and choose Apps and Features. Do you have Winpatrol installed on your system? If so, Uninstall it.
If you don't like the Windows Start Menu (tiles) then download OpenShell (previously ClassicSell) if gives you the Start menu of Windows 7/
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2020, 04:24 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I just uninstalled win patrol, it it didn't make any difference.
I installed openshell a couple days ago after running the standard w10 start menu for a while to see if I could get comfortable with or used to it.

Still takes a few minutes to open the right click/context menu. It works fine in everything else though which is confusing.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

After spending some time editing the registry, updating drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling nearly every program, I've come to the conclusion that it's time for a fresh install of w10, or a switch to linux full time and rolling back w7 for games.

I really hate w10, Never had so many problems with an OS since dos 2.0 when I kept trying to see how much I could delete and still have a functioning OS.