Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Inconsistent error warnings: Errors detected, yet no errors detected

This is a discussion on Inconsistent error warnings: Errors detected, yet no errors detected within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop has suddenly started running CHKDSK during startup. After it completes and finishes booting I go to Properties >

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop has suddenly started running CHKDSK during startup. After it completes and finishes booting I go to Properties > Tools > Error Checking of my C drive and click “Check”. It says errors were found on this drive and to repair drive now to prevent data loss. I click to run it, the system reboots, I see the prompt to cancel CHKDSK by pressing any key, let it run, the screen remains blank with just the little spinning dots. It finishes (in less than a minute, which is faster than it usually takes) and loads to desktop. I check the C drive properties again and it still says there are errors and to repair.

Running CHKDSK from CMD prompt I get “Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required.” Running a 3rd-party disk checker (Disk Doctor, Tune-Up Utilities) also reports no errors. Yet the properties dialog continues to warn that there are errors.

I can’t be certain when this started. Just noticed this yesterday when I booted up (I don’t usually stick around and watch the computer boot). Windows has all the latest updates/patches. This is an HP ENVY laptop that came with Windows 10 pre-installed.

Anyone have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Please preform a hard drive test using this guide here:

How to perform a Seagate's Seatools Test - Tech Support Forum
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If the disc comes up OK in "Chiefs" suggestion, Run chkntfs /X C: assuming that's your drive format. Although this will prevent the chkdsk recurrence, it prevents it from happening period (even if there's a problem) so you should run it manually from time to time.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

I ran both the short test and long test and it reports that the drive passed all tests.

Corday: I don't necessarily want to prevent CHKDSK from running at bootup if it needs to. The issue specifically is a lack of coordination of info between the CHKDSK results and the drive properties. The post-scan log says "no issues" the drive properties say "yes there is". And it seems that as long as the drive properties says there's an issue CHKDSK will run during every boot.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Go into scheduled tasks and see how often chkdsk is scheduled. The problem could be right there.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

CHKDSK isn't scheduled at all.

Again, it's not CHKDSK running at startup that's annoying me, but the fact that the C drive Properties/Tools/Error Checking tab keeps telling me there's an issue even after running CHKDSK and the CHKDSK log reporting no errors.
Old 11-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I'll give this a little more thought. The Seagate test you ran should be conclusive so don't download any other 3rd party "garbage" test.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

I believe I solved it.

I booted into the recovery menu and then advanced options. I chose Command Prompt then ran the command CHKDSK C: /F

At Stage 3 it found errors and repaired them:
Errors in MFT bitmap attribute
Errors in volume bitmap

Afterwards, booting up and checking the drive status it now reports no errors finally. I guess the CHKDSK procedure didn't detect these errors when running during bootup. The other disk scanners I tried didn't pick them up either. This seems to have fixed it.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

My bad. I thought you had already done that. Hope all stays good.

Old 11-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #10
Registered Member

Corday: There may have been some confusion as I mentioned in the first post that I ran CHKDSK from a command prompt in Windows to see if it would tell me what the issues were and it kept coming up clean. I know that it won't fix problems while Windows is running but I thought it could at least give me a clue as to what was wrong. Then there was the added confusion of CHKDSK not fixing the problem while running during bootup (before Windows loads).

I appreciate your help.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:11 AM   #11
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, windows will schedule a chkdsk at boot if it flags your drive as dirty, to see if windows has flagged your drive, we run at a elevated cmd prompt the cmd fsutil dirty query c: (press enter) this will return Volume - c: is not dirty OR is dirty.

A registry change is made to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

If it is flagged as dirty (as yours would have been) the subkey BootExecute has a value data change from, autocheck autochk * to autocheck autochk * / windows will then run a CHKDSK on the drive at boot.

Cordays post chkntfs /x c: will prevent chkdsk running on the c drive this lets you get into windows, open an elevated cmd prompt and type chkdsk/f running this (or if you are concerned about your drive run /r parameter not /f). This will remove the dirty bit flag, running chkntfs /d c: will remove the stop on chkdsk C:

There are many other cmd's available here ... this might just give you a better idea.