Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

IE Explorer

This is a discussion on IE Explorer within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there any advantage to using I.E. 11, have gotten a few programs that stated they would not be upgrading

Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Is there any advantage to using I.E. 11, have gotten a few programs that stated they would not be upgrading I.E. 11. Also it would not open a few programs, had to switch to any of the other browsers and no problem. T.I.A.
durkinjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

No, in fact you should not be using Internet Explorer, at all, unless some website has been so ill-maintained that it forces you to do so.

Microsoft has been advising people to stop using Internet Explorer for years now. I just made a post about this last night on another group I participate in. See: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/73808
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I wish it wasn't so, but MS, although ending support for IE, still has no intention of removing it from Windows. No one should have it as their default. Some Enterprises refuse to convert, so that sticks everyone else with a dangerous (if they use it) browser.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, I would not expect people to know this, however IE is coded into the OS, MS Office uses it as does Icon cache plus other services, so removing it is probably beyond the skill level of the current crop of MS coders. It can be removed using programs and features (it appears under features) however doing this will cause problems especially for earlier versions of office.

I agree with the comments that it should not be used, it does however as britechguy said have some use when it is the only browser to open some web pages, also if an add blocker has coded a problem in say chrome the site will open with IE.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, I would not expect people to know this, however IE is coded into the OS, MS Office uses it as does Icon cache plus other services, so removing it is probably beyond the skill level of the current crop of MS coders. It can be removed using programs and features (it appears under features) however doing this will cause problems especially for earlier versions of office.
And, on top of that, the original Edge HTML rendering engine is in the same position as well.

When you install the new Chromium based Edge it makes original Edge seemingly disappear, and the end user cannot get to it, but its ghost lives very much on.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
Registered Member

I find with using Edge I cannot find an option for making a shortcut to my desktop and have to switch to I.E. Read that edge does not have a create shortcut function, why?
Old 05-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

All apps>drag Edge to desktop.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Your other thread has already dealt with the shortcut question and I gave you a link with lots of information on Edge now is the time to start reading and not rehashing things that you have been answered on.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

None of the answers deal with how to drag and drop in Edge, sorry for being
pain in he butt.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:19 AM   #10
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkinjt View Post
pain in he butt.
Again, I redirect you to the answer you've already been given; here https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ml#post7777136

Read the whole of that post, then follow the link in it. On that page, under the heading How to Create a Shortcut to a Website works for Chrome and Edge as well. If you had actually tried it, you would have noticed that it works for Edge. If the Create Shortcut option in Chrome is too important for you, then just stick to Chrome.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
pain in he butt.
1. That is not true.

2. There are hundreds upon hundreds of YouTube tutorials on dragging shortcuts to your desktop out of any browser you can name. Do a web search on the browser name, YouTube, and "Create desktop shortcut" or just do a search on YouTube for the browser name and "create desktop shortcut."

3. Most don't need drag and drop explained these days, but the information is out there, see #2.

4. You have had the unmitigated gall to ignore copious information given to you by myself and others on multiple topics. You're faux apology rings hollow.

This will be my last post to you on this, or any other, topic. I do not have the time to repeat the same information and, nay, spoon-feed it, only to have it ignored.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #12
Registered Member

I did not mean to be repetitious, I am inexperienced, I did not ignore the info , just did not understand it, and if you remember about three quarters of the quotes were referring to how to download, when I meant create shortcut, I'm 76 years old and a little slower now.Faux apology, really?
Old 05-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I did not mean to be repetitious, I am inexperienced, I did not ignore the info , just did not understand it, and if you remember about three quarters of the quotes were referring to how to download, when I meant create shortcut, I'm 76 years old and a little slower now.Faux apology, really?
Why don't you just keep using Chrome if it has been serving your needs just fine? Since you're having quite a difficult time with drag and drop, why trouble yourself with changing browsers?
Old 05-17-2020, 06:49 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Why don't you just keep using Chrome if it has been serving your needs just fine? Since you're having quite a difficult time with drag and drop, why trouble yourself with changing browsers?
Thanks for the reply, actually many times when I try to create a shortcut with Chrome, I go thru the process and ht the create shortcut and no shortcut I would like to get on Edge as it is the newest browser. I'll keep trying and will figure out the drag and drop.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, actually many times when I try to create a shortcut with Chrome, I go thru the process and ht the create shortcut and no shortcut I would like to get on Edge as it is the newest browser. I'll keep trying and will figure out the drag and drop.
Are you saying the Create Shortcut option in Chrome is no longer working for you?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:13 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Are you saying the Create Shortcut option in Chrome is no longer working for you?
Thanks again. Not on all , just a few, then I have to use I.E.11, that has created shortcuts without fail in the years I used I.E.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:20 AM   #17
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

See if you can use this method https://www.howtogeek.com/237951/how...10-start-menu/

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #18
Registered Member

I am running VB6 on WIN10. I have several VB6 programs that get web info. I don not know if these programs are using IE11. Google Chrome is my default browser. Sometimes I use MS Edge.
I know I am using IE because in one of my anti-virus utilities (Glary), when I run Advanced Tools --> Clean Up & Repair --> Disk Cleanup, I get entries for Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge Cache, and Google Chrome Cache always with number of files and total file sizes.
I don't know how to stop access to IE11 (or whatever version). Maybe I can't and just have to live with it.
**NOTE** This was also posted on a VB6 forum. Sorry for the cross post.
AccessShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:43 AM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccessShell View Post
I am running VB6 on WIN10. I have several VB6 programs that get web info. I don not know if these programs are using IE11. Google Chrome is my default browser. Sometimes I use MS Edge.
I know I am using IE because in one of my anti-virus utilities (Glary), when I run Advanced Tools --> Clean Up & Repair --> Disk Cleanup, I get entries for Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge Cache, and Google Chrome Cache always with number of files and total file sizes.
I don't know how to stop access to IE11 (or whatever version). Maybe I can't and just have to live with it.
**NOTE** This was also posted on a VB6 forum. Sorry for the cross post.
As has been said, IE is an integral part of Windows and a dependency of third-party software too, so while you may not and should not be using it as your browser, it is in use by other software including parts of Windows itself. Don't bother with stopping access to it, and doing so somehow will definitely break something. Let it be. Also, beware of those cleanup and "optimisation" programs like Glary Utilities. Someone in the Support Mozilla community forums lost all their emails because they ran Avast PC cleaner which got rid of "junk" from Thunderbird. They had no backup of their emails or Thunderbird profile. Such utilities in the hands of non-advanced users can cause more harm than good. They are desperate for a recovery solution, but none seems likely to get them out of their predicament. They "thought Thunderbird has automatic backups".