Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

i Have problem with my windows 10 Explorere.exe Crash

This is a discussion on i Have problem with my windows 10 Explorere.exe Crash within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Originally Posted by britechguy I have yet, in recent years, to see Microsoft not select a generic driver that would

Old 04-03-2020, 01:13 PM   #21
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
I have yet, in recent years, to see Microsoft not select a generic driver that would keep a system functional on a clean install.
It is a clean install with generic drivers, UNTIL it automatically searches for a befitting driver online, drivers which in many cases over the years have proven to be more trouble than it is worth. OP's case is a perfect example. Why is Windows Update hosting a 2017 driver for the GTX 980M when there is a March 2020 driver available? They've had how many years to correct this? It's even worse for my ProBook with a 3rd gen Intel cpu. The camera, fingerprint, accelerometer, AMD GPU, i-gpu and touchpad have very old and buggy (accelerometer) "befitting" drivers ready for install from Windows Update upon a clean install, unless I stop it! One of the reasons why I never complete the OOBE stage while online. OP's system has already been tainted by an old, non-generic graphics driver, so it's no longer a clean installation with a functional generic driver.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #22
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Why is Windows Update hosting a 2017 driver for the GTX 980M when there is a March 2020 driver available? They've had how many years to correct this?
You have no idea of whether they've had any opportunity to correct this or not.

The equipment makers have historically been expected to contribute the latest drivers to both computer OEMs and Microsoft, as they're the ones that actually generate them. It has become abundantly clear that many simply do not do this, period.

This is one of the reasons I have begun using, and encouraging others to use, the hardware OEM monitoring and updating utilities for their machines. I cannot count, literally, how many driver updates Intel has put out over the last three years for the WiFi/Bluetooth card in my machine. HP, my computer OEM, is nowhere near to the latest on their support pages for my machine. Though it's less true for the AMD Radeon Graphics, they've also churned out driver updates that have never made it to HP or to Microsoft as far as I can determine.

Now, I could be entirely wrong and you could be entirely right as to where the fault lies, as the hardware OEMs could very well be supplying the computer OEMs and Microsoft with these drivers and neither of the the two are integrating them into their libraries in a timely manner, but that seems very doubtful to me.

But with this, I'm done. As I doubt that this issue is driver related in any way.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:35 AM   #23
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoreeves.788 View Post
i do step by step

i will report again
Awaiting your report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 03:27 AM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Awaiting your report.
It happen again

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.18362.693, time stamp: 0x587c1978
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.719, time stamp: 0x64d10ee0
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f92a9
Faulting process id: 0x7e4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d60a427c46cb88
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: d0eb2bb9-1781-446e-bc07-9da5dd198f06
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Santoreeves.788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:45 AM   #25
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Download ShellExView for x64 from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexvi...#DownloadLinks and extract the zip file. Open the shexview application then go to the Edit menu and select Find. Inside the Find dialog, type NVIDIA CPL and press enter to find it. Once you've located it in the list, right-click on it and select disable selected items. Click Yes in the confirmation dialog then go to the Options menu and select Restart Explorer. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and confirm that the Nvidia Control Panel option is no longer listed in the context menu. Observe if the crashes still occur and report back. My basis for suspecting the Nvidia CPL shell extension is here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...nu-extension-/

Other third-party shell extensions may be responsible, but we'll get to those later. For now, let's disable the Nvidia one first and see.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:49 AM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Download ShellExView for x64 from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexvi...#DownloadLinks and extract the zip file. Open the shexview application then go to the Edit menu and select Find. Inside the Find dialog, type NVIDIA CPL and press enter to find it. Once you've located it in the list, right-click on it and select disable selected items. Click Yes in the confirmation dialog then go to the Options menu and select Restart Explorer. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and confirm that the Nvidia Control Panel option is no longer listed in the context menu. Observe if the crashes still occur and report back. My basis for suspecting the Nvidia CPL shell extension is here https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...nu-extension-/

Other third-party shell extensions may be responsible, but we'll get to those later. For now, let's disable the Nvidia one first and see.
NVIDIA CPL context menu Extension ?
ok its done ... i will report
Old 04-04-2020, 03:52 AM   #27
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
NVIDIA CPL context menu Extension ?
ok its done ... i will report
Yes, that's the one. Multiple reports dating several years confirm it is a cause of similar Explorer crashes.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #28
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, that's the one. Multiple reports dating several years confirm it is a cause of similar Explorer crashes.
Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.18362.693, time stamp: 0x587c1978
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.719, time stamp: 0x64d10ee0
Faulting process id: 0x156c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d60a920584aabe
Report Id: f3b82e78-abe8-4854-8d30-79a1b778b86c

i stil got crashing
time 10:44
Old 04-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #29
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You might have a failing HD.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #30
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Disable all third-party (non-Microsoft) shell extensions as follows:

Open shexview then go to Options > Hide All Microsoft Extensions to view third-party extensions. Next, go to Edit > Select All then File > Disable Selected Items. Restart explorer or reboot and observe. Also, explain when explorer crashes. Is it when you try to do something specific, like viewing a folder containing video files for example, or is it totally random?
Old 04-04-2020, 10:16 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:

Open shexview then go to Options > Hide All Microsoft Extensions to view third-party extensions. Next, go to Edit > Select All then File > Disable Selected Items. Restart explorer or reboot and observe. Also, explain when explorer crashes. Is it when you try to do something specific, like viewing a folder containing video files for example, or is it totally random?
random, sometimes I'm playing a game, sometimes I'm opening youtube ... it suddenly happens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAA.png
Views:	9
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	325454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DISABLE.png
Views:	8
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	325456   Click image for larger version

Name:	ERROR.png
Views:	5
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	325458  

Old 04-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:

its happen again

Faulting process id: 0x1bcc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d60b4141f0d76b
Report Id: 93438f7a-9b72-479e-b354-d9e1db730b9e
Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #33
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Let's see if we can rule out the Nvidia gpu. Go into BIOS and disable discreet graphics. This means Intel HD integrated graphics will be the only gpu in use and you may not be able to run your games smoothly. This is just a temporary configuration.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Let's see if we can rule out the Nvidia gpu. Go into BIOS and disable discreet graphics. This means Intel HD integrated graphics will be the only gpu in use and you may not be able to run your games smoothly. This is just a temporary configuration.
can u teach me how disable ?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #35
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Restart and press the f2 key repeatedly (once every second) when the Asus logo is displayed on screen. The BIOS setup utility will open. Refer to the manual here https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-...lpDesk_Manual/ for a reference image of what the BIOS setup utility looks like.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:55 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Restart and press the f2 key repeatedly (once every second) when the Asus logo is displayed on screen. The BIOS setup utility will open. Refer to the manual here https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-...lpDesk_Manual/ for a reference image of what the BIOS setup utility looks like.
Explorer.exe is gone but i have new problem ...

My desktop crash like exploer.exe crashloop
i try turn disable use gpedit.msc but its not working

do u think my hardware broken ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ERROR.png
Views:	9
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	325488  
Old 04-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #37
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:

I do not understand your last reply. Please try and be as detailed in your responses/feedback as possible. Take your time and write complete sentences. Give feedback about any suggestions/directions that you've been given in previous replies. For example, were you able to perform the given instructions? If so, how does your system behave? If you weren't able to perform those instructions, what exactly did you do instead? If you followed instructions that are different from what was offered here, explain what you did in such a case or provide a link to the exact webpage on which you found those instructions. What I see in that screenshot are just warnings, not application errors.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #38
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

There seems to be no correlation between instructions given and actual performance. Is the Explorer problem gone or is explorer.exe gone? If you really wanted to disable Group Policy (for local use) it would have to be done in the Registry although I don't know your reasoning. To reiterate what Stan said, please write complete sentences. It's very hard to know what you mean. Finally, are you using Handicapped features of Windows 10?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:34 AM   #39
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:

I understand that communicating in English could be a challenge to you, so I suggest you try to use Google Translate here https://translate.google.com/#view=h...&sl=auto&tl=en to write in your preferred language then copy the translated text into your replies.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:47 AM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
I understand that communicating in English could be a challenge to you, so I suggest you try to use Google Translate here https://translate.google.com/#view=h...&sl=auto&tl=en to write in your preferred language then copy the translated text into your replies.
The explorer.exe crash problem has disappeared, but a new problem arises with the same symptoms, my desktop crashes suddenly like the explorer.exe problem

when I open this event viewer that reads:
Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched.
Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested
User has logged on with AAD credentials: No
Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested
Windows Hello for Business post-logon provisioning is enabled: Not Tested
Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested
User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes
User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested
Machine is governed by none policy.
See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=832647 for more details.

Do you think my hardware is damaged?
I've tried setting gpedit.msc to turn off the Windows Hello feature, but the problem keeps happening