Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

I can't make my SSD as my boot drive

This is a discussion on I can't make my SSD as my boot drive within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, i'm frustrated as you can get right now, i've been trying to search for a solution for 6 hours

Old 05-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, i'm frustrated as you can get right now, i've been trying to search for a solution for 6 hours now with no luck!

So I bought a new SSD, Samsung Evo Plus 500gb m.2.

I cloned my old SSD which had the OS on it to my HDD as I did not have an USB to reinstall windows 10 from scratch, so after I cloned it, my HDD became "C Drive" and main boot system in the bios system.

I installed my new 500gb SSD and I made it into "F drive". I tried to clone my HDD drive now with the OS to my SSD drive which it did, but now in my bios system i have two booting systems, my HDD and my new SSD but I can't seem to disable my HDD or select my SSD as my #1 boot system! I tried to change drive letters in disk management, i've tried softwares, i'm running out of options and don't know what else I can do. Please help..

Click image for larger version

Name:	wlTgHWn - Imgur.png
Views:	14
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	325890
bobbysama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 12:56 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Lets try this first.....power down and open case, disconnect the sata data/power cables. Now power up. Then new M.2 drive should now be the C drive. If that checks out..power down and reattach cables to old HDD and power up. That drive should now have a new drive letter.

Personally, I would use the MS MCT assiant and create a USB ISO and keep it on hand for such things like....a new drive or system repair.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah I couldn't fix it. I borrowed a Windows 10 installation on an USB from my cousin. Its working now and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
bobbysama is offline   Reply With Quote