Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

I am receiving security updates for Microsoft Office 2010 that is not on my computer.

This is a discussion on I am receiving security updates for Microsoft Office 2010 that is not on my computer. within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been receiving daily updates to Microsoft Office 2010, that is not on my computer. I had a starter

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have been receiving daily updates to Microsoft Office 2010, that is not on my computer. I had a starter edition of that office when I bought the computer but it was uninstalled many years ago. I am left with "Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010" in my "This PC" which I cannot remove.
The daily updates are KB2553338, received on 10/11, 10/11, 10/12, 10/14, and 10/15. and 10/15 again, 10/16, 10/17, 10/18, and today.
How can I stop these updates and get rid of the Click-to-Run?
I can not find any trace of Office 2010 and, maybe that is why I am receiving so many updates, Microsoft can't find it either?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Uninstall Click to Run in Control Panel>Programs and Features>Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

See if anything on this page helps.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ceVersion=2010

Since you said you can't remove it, I'm assuming its not listed in Programs and Features in which case, a reinstall of the original program may be necessary.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
See if anything on this page helps.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ceVersion=2010

Since you said you can't remove it, I'm assuming its not listed in Programs and Features in which case, a reinstall of the original program may be necessary.
Correct, it was not listed in Programs and Features but your recommended fix worked in that Microsoft Office Click-to-Run has now been uninstalled. We'll see if the updates now stop tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahduncu View Post
Correct, it was not listed in Programs and Features but your recommended fix worked in that Microsoft Office Click-to-Run has now been uninstalled. We'll see if the updates now stop tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Sorry to tell you, it reappeared this morning!!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Try the manual uninstall in Deejays Post #3 .

Old 10-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Have you tried using option number 2 for Office 2010 listed here? > https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ceVersion=2010
Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
Have you tried using option number 2 for Office 2010 listed here? > https://support.office.com/en-us/art...ceVersion=2010
I can't use the manual uninstall option because it seems to be for another version of Windows, not Windows 10 and I am not expert enough to follow the instructions and change them for Windows 10. Also, I hesitate to do anything to the registry because I am afraid I will destroy my computer in the process.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:12 AM   #9
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
I can't use the manual uninstall option because it seems to be for another version of Windows, not Windows 10.
Not sure where you got that idea.

Quote:
Also, I hesitate to do anything to the registry because I am afraid I will destroy my computer in the process.
Its ok to be nervous about registry editing but really, all you need to do is create a system restore point, then, in the unlikely event that something does go wrong, you would have a complete backup of the registry to fall back on.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 10-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Another option to be safe when working on the Registry is to back up the entire registry first. I like to back it up to the desktop and if all goes well, just delete the backup later.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay100six View Post
Not sure where you got that idea.

Its ok to be nervous about registry editing but really, all you need to do is create a system restore point, then, in the unlikely event that something does go wrong, you would have a complete backup of the registry to fall back on.
I got that idea because every procedure requested does not conform to the current version of Windows. For example, Windows Explorer is now File Explorer, which does not have a menu item "tools" that I can find; the start menu does not have any "all Programs", "Accessories". I can find various things but very few of the additional items required, I was twisting myself in knots to follow the further instructions even before I got to the registry part.
I may try again when I have more patience to find things.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Newer versions of Windows, like 10, have renamed and hid some menus. Windows Explorer is now called File Explorer. In File Explorer, at the very top toolbar, you will see the View Tab. Click this and put a check box in Hidden Items.
If you would like to have the Windows 7 type menus back, like All Programs instead of Tiles, download and install the Free Classic Shell. This is the first thing I do when I upgrade or install Windows 10.
As for the Registry, always do a System Restore point and Backup the Registry before making any changes
Old 10-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Registered Member

I have gone through the manual uninstall instructions and have not found any instance of Office 2010 except for Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010 in the installer account. I could not uninstall it from there because it would not let me so I hit "delete" instead. Now it does not show up in there but it's still shown in my drives!
This is the craziest thing I have ever come across!!
Old 10-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

I restarted my computer and the Microsoft Office Click-to-Start is gone! Let's see if it stays gone and if I still receive daily updates to Office 2010?
Old 10-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

As the directions said, Step 6: Restart the computer

Old 10-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #16
Registered Member

It came back!!!
Old 10-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #17
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

This will explain why: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...rce_Protection
In Disc cleanup, delete Previous Windows installation

Old 10-22-2017, 09:38 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
This will explain why: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window...rce_Protection
In Disc cleanup, delete Previous Windows installation
I can't find the Previous Windows installation in Disk Cleanup.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:29 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Disk Cleanup, click the Clean Up System files button at the bottom Put a check in the box for Delete Previous Windows Files
Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Go to Disk Cleanup, click the Clean Up System files button at the bottom Put a check in the box for Delete Previous Windows Files
There was no "Delete Previous Windows Files". I chose to delete old restore points but that made no difference.
Closed Thread