Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

How to Restore Files & Folders Hidden by Malware?

This is a discussion on How to Restore Files & Folders Hidden by Malware? within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I took my laptop out to work remotely using my phone as a tether. The tethered connected worked just fine,

Old 05-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

I took my laptop out to work remotely using my phone as a tether. The tethered connected worked just fine, but my laptop could not pick up the signal for some reason and so my phone was not detected as one of the internet access points. I spent time with it but still could not get my phone to show up as one of the internet access points.

When I got back home, it looked like I lost all of my Word files, downloads, everything. I haven't been able to access these files for over a week now. I think, I hope that it's just a case of malware hiding my files from me. Step by step, can you help me with a reliable, tried and true procedure to recover my files? Thank you.

I had thought that BitDefender protects against all malware. Apparently not.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17R 5737. My OS is Windows 10 with a classic shell.

Gabriel
gabriel51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

We recommend that you read this article…
https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/new-instructions-read-this-before-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html
follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/ section of the forum.
(Simply, click on the colored links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The Malware Removal Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to the https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/ Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

PS: They'll find the lost files after removing Malware or refer you back to here.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Please let me know if I have not complied with your instructions. Thank you. Okay, I copy and pasted the entire FRST Notepad log into this email and then submitted it. Submission failed with this error message, “The text that you have entered is too long (155937 characters). Please shorten it to 100000 characters long.” So I don’t know how to comply with your request and still keep the text to a maximum of 100,000 characters. Would sending that log in two parts work? Let me know

DESCRIBE MY ISSUE IN DETAIL
All of my former Word 2013 docs are missing. The file itself exists on this “shell” of an OS as do the other MS suites. But they’re not populated. All of the documents I’ve accumulated over the last 6 years are missing. Ditto for all of my downloads. The download file exists; it’s just that it’s not populated with the stuff I’ve saved over the same period. It goes without saying that I need both my Word docs and my downloads.

I'VE ONLY ATTACHED THE ADDITION.TXT.

THE FIRST LINK YOU FURNISHED GAVE ME THIS INSTRUCTION, "COPY/PASTE THE CONTENTS OF 'FRST.txt' TO BE POSTED AS TEXT TO YOUR POST." SO HERE IT IS:

The entire text would not fit due to space limits.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Addition.txt (46.6 KB, 2 views)
gabriel51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 11:04 PM   #4
Security Team

Please start a new topic (thread) in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum ... https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/

Give a brief description of your problems, and then attach your FRST.txt and Addition.txt files to your post.

If you have any problems attaching either of those files, then zip it first, and then try attaching it.