Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER?

This is a discussion on How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER? within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm setting up Win 10 for the 1st time on a Lenovo Win 10 laptop. It had to do a

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm setting up Win 10 for the 1st time on a Lenovo Win 10 laptop. It had to do a ton of upgrades before all the features would work like the touch screen & task bar. Once all the updates were completed I started to set it up. Somehow I missed the part where you put a name to the "USER" in the C; drive. On my Asus it says: This PC> C > user > johnf. But on the Lenovo is says: This PC> C: > user > USER. I went in & changed the Local Account Admin to a Name I wanted hoping that would change "USER" to "rocco" but it didn't. I know that all programs installed in the future will have a path that looks like: This PC> C: > user > USER > Dropbox unless I can change it. I'm not very far into setting the laptop up so I want to make sure I don't keep moving forward in case I have to reset or roll back anything. How can I fix this problem?
**Also why do I have a C: drive = 885GB & a D: drive = 24.9GB after I did the Win 10 update. (it had Win 10 on it but needed to upgrade to a newer version & now I have a D: drive that i did not create.)
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

The process to convert a name is a little complex. The easiest way is to create a new User with your name with Admin rights. Log out as User and login as you. Now you can remove the User profile. copy any files you want to keep and paste them into your named profile first
As for the D: drive, what is on it? If it doesn't have any files, you can go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc, right click the diskmgmt results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Disk Management window right click the D: drive and Delete Volume. Now right click the C: drive and Extend Volume into the Unallocated Space.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, as stated by Spunk there is a little more to this, I agree the best way is to create your new preferred user account. You can then copy the data from the "user" account to your new account, then deleting the old "user" account.

To copy files to the new user profile
After you create the profile, you can copy the files from the existing profile. You must have at least three user accounts on the computer to complete these steps, including the new account you just created.

1. Log on as a user other than the new user you just created or the user that you want to copy files from.

2. Open the My Documents folder by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer. Double-click the hard disk drive that Windows is installed on (it's usually your C: drive), double-click Users, double-click the folder with the name of your account, and then double-click My Documents.

3. Click the Tools menu, and then click Folder Options.
If you don't see the Tools menu, press Alt.

4. Click the View tab, and then click Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

5. Clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, click Yes to confirm, and then click OK.

6. Locate the C:\Users\Old_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and Old_Username is the name of the profile you want to copy files from.

7. Select all of the files and folders in this folder, except the following files:
Ntuser.dat
Ntuser.dat.log
Ntuser.ini

8. Click the Edit menu, and then click Copy.
If you don't see the Edit menu, press Alt.

9. Locate the C:\Users\New_Username folder, where C is the drive that Windows is installed on, and New_Username is the name of the new user profile you created.

10. Click the Edit menu, and then click Paste.
If you don't see the Edit menu, press Alt.

11. Log off, and then log back on as the new user.

If you have e mail messages in an e mail program, you must import your e mail messages and addresses to the new user profile before you delete the old profile. If everything is working properly, you can delete the old profile.

Once you have done this the "user" account created at install will still be the main default, to fix this you need to alter the registry.

Press the win + r key together in the run dialogue box type:- regedit navigate to:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion, in the right payne look for the key "Registered owner" this will say "User" right click this and select modify, in the value data box type :- Rocco , if this is the new user name you have created. Restart computer.