Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

How to disable adaptive brightness?

This is a discussion on How to disable adaptive brightness? within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Gotta Dell Latitude 7300. Checked so many things on how to turn it off and no options anywhere. Even went

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Gotta Dell Latitude 7300. Checked so many things on how to turn it off and no options anywhere. Even went into BIOS and nothing there especially in the video section. Any hope?
citycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

This is generally handled in the display settings of whatever operating system you may be using. That, or if Dell has a dedicated utility, and very often the OEMs do for this sort of thing.

Without additional information it's difficult to be any more specific.

Also, there's scads of information available from Dell on this:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Dell+Latit...ive+brightness
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

I'm using windows 10 and went through all the display settings possible and no options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by citycowboy View Post
I'm using windows 10 and went through all the display settings possible and no options.
Then review the material from Dell.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Not much in the Dell manuals unfortuntanely as you all may know lol
Old 06-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Not much in the Dell manuals unfortuntanely as you all may know lol
Au contraire.

The very first thing returned by that DuckDuckGo search:

https://www.dell.com/support/article...licker?lang=en

Gives the step-by-step instructions, as does the entry entitled, Panel brightness cannot be adjusted by Fn+F6 or Fn+F7 on the latest generation of Latitude notebooks, on this page, https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...top/docs,which is the second or third item returned.

It is appalling that you could not be bothered to click through on that search and consult anything, which you obviously did not.

You can lead a horse to water . . .
Old 06-03-2020, 01:07 PM   #7
Registered Member

I can use the FN & F Keys just fine.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

i went through all of your articles. they don't do what i want to fix. i can adjust brightness just fine. what i can't adjust is the adoptive brightness. you know where the screen goes to bright to dark and vice and versa.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
Windows Tech Team

My System

First, it is ADAPTive brightness, the brightness is adapted to the amount of ambient light in the room, using a light sensor.

If you cannot read the very first reference, I'll post it here so others can. Straight from Dell's mouth, and though written for Windows 8.1 the same things apply, exactly, in Windows 10:

The steps to disable the ambient light sensor in Windows 8.1 are listed below:
  1. Press the Windows + X key to open the quick jump menu. Click or tap Power Options.
  2. In Power Options, Click or tap Change plan settings (hyperlink on the right side) for whatever plan you are using.
  3. Click or tap Change advanced power settings.
  4. Scroll down to the Display section, click or tap the + in front of Display and Enable adaptive brightness.
  5. Choose Off for whichever power situation the you desire to control manually, (battery or AC), or both.
  6. Click or tap and OK to save and close. Then close any remaining open windows.
On systems equipped with Intel Display Power Saving Technology (DPST) you may also need to complete these additional steps:
  1. Right click on the battery icon in the systray.
  2. Click Dell Extended Battery Options from the menu.
  3. Under Dell Intelligent Display, click on Configuration and turn this feature off.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

I'm well aware you trying to help but I have no such options. I posted a pic to prove it to you. And I have no dell extended battery options either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200603_163910.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	325916  
Old 06-03-2020, 01:42 PM   #11
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
i went through all of your articles.
No, quite clearly you did not. Period. Or at least not thoroughly. Have you checked the Intel specific steps.

If all else fails go to Device Manager. I will not venture to guess exactly what the light sensor would be called or classified under, but it is a device and it's got to be somewhere. Disable it.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
No, quite clearly you did not. Period.
And I goggled firsthand everything before coming to this forum. If you don't believe me then fine.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #13
Registered Member

And also no Intel settings whatsoever.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #14
Windows Tech Team

My System

It is not a matter of belief. Getting help is a two-way street, and you are making assertions about content at said references that is not correct, whether they match your system or not. That would suggest to virtually anyone that you have not read same.

I have no idea if this system may have been tweaked at some point, whether by yourself or a previous custodian, but the things that are generally present for direct control of the very thing you're seeking to control appear to be missing. That generally does not happen by itself.

Check the Dell Support Page for your model, specifically Downloads & Drivers, and see if there is anything specifically listed there that either directly references this feature, or that's for Display in general.

Other than disabling the actual ambient light sensing device, which should work, I have absolutely no other options to offer you.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #15
Registered Member

I have formatted the laptop so no tweaks. Also my inspiron 7791 had the same issue but in the bios there was something called ecopower i disabled and it disabled the adoptive brightness. And i thought the latitude will have the same thing going after all the options were missing as well but no ecopower.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Post #9 has the answer. You have the settings. Give it another go.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
Windows Tech Team

My System

And by the way, and I shouldn't have to quote it since it is in an emphasis block in the Dell Support Page, How to turn of the the automatic brightness control on systems that shipped or upgraded to Windows 8.1 to address screen flicker, which I gave the link to, and where the instructions in #9 come from as well:

NOTE: Updating to the current system BIOS on some system models may allow this issue to be addressed from the BIOS (EG: Vostro 5470 BIOS version A06 added an ON OFF feature for automatic brightness.)

You also need to check on the Dell Support Page for your specific model whether your installed BIOS/UEFI is older than the most recent update supplied by Dell.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:43 PM   #18
Registered Member

I did update the bios it didn't help. Like I said my inspiron 7791 also had the same issue but turning off ecopower in bios helped but the latitude has no ecopower in bios. And no settings anywhere to turn it off just like in the inspiron. Everything you guys posted to me I found in google before coming here. Thought maybe there is some hidden way to fix this.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Post #9 has the answer. You have the settings. Give it another go.
Checked like 10x already dunno how many more will help.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:24 PM   #20
Registered Member

Ok i installed some graphics driver from dell and it installed the graphics command center. Going through the settings there i found adoptive brightness but it was off both for plugged in or off. But there was another option turned on called display power savings maybe that was it i turned it off. We will see. Man this is complicated. I guess it's a similar feature to the Intel Display Power Saving Technology you been talking about.