Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

How Off Auto Update in Windows 10 OS ?

This is a discussion on How Off Auto Update in Windows 10 OS ? within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How Off Auto Update in Windows 10 OS ?

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

How Off Auto Update in Windows 10 OS ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 07:37 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Is there a reason why you would want to?

You could follow this: How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates
Old 11-29-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Troubled

Source: Disable / Turn Off Automatic Updates In Windows 10, Here's How | Redmond Pie
Quote:
An initial note; this method only applies to Windows 10 Pro edition. Given the nature of this edition of Windows 10, it’s probably advisable to leave updates turned on for security reasons. Step 1: PressWindows key + Rto gain access to the Run dialog. Step 2: To gain access to the Group Policy Editor, type the following command into the Run dialog box:gpedit.mscand press Enter. Step 3: Navigate to the following directory:Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update. Step 4: Locate and highlight theConfigure Automatic Updatessetting in the right hand panel. Double-click to enter. Step 5: Set the configuration toEnabledon the left-hand side and then choose your own options from the drop-down list under theOptionsheader. For example you can instruct Windows 10 to“Notify for download and notify for install” when dealing with updates. Step 6: To disable this policy, and revert back to the default state, simply go back into theConfigure Automatic Updatesselection (as shown from Step 1 till 5), and make sureNot Configuredis selected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wu3.png
Views:	25
Size:	992.3 KB
ID:	296866   Click image for larger version

Name:	wu4.png
Views:	20
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	296874  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #4
Registered Member

OS: Desktop- Windows 10 (1607), Laptop-Windows 10 (1607)

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Is there a reason why you would want to?

You could follow this: How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates
In this step ^ it says, "This option only affects the Wi-Fi network you’re currently editing, but Windows will remember this setting for each individual Wi-Fi network on which you change it. (If you haven’t gotten the Anniversary Update yet, this option will be in Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced Options.)"

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't have a clue what this means. When it says, "This option only affects the Wi-Fi network you're currently editing,..." what does "currently editing" mean?

Also, it says, "...but Windows will remember this setting for each individual Wi-Fi network on which you change it." Does this mean if I go into a coffee shop and get on that open network the change in the Update settings will be remembered?

I need to shut off this Update setting because I use Notepad extensively in my computer work with some groups I'm in online and I'll turn on my laptop and out of nowhere the darn thing will start downloading/installing the latest update and I haven't yet saved the Notepads at the bottom of the screen. And, of course, they've disappeared and are lost forever.

I know, I know, I need to "save" every Notepad every time I make one but sometimes I don't. I'm human, after all. So, I want Windows to stop doing all this automatic updating until I can get the Notepads saved. It was easy in earlier versions of Windows, you could just tell it to Notify you of pending Updates and then install then at your convenience, but this new Win10 doesn't have this option in plain sight.....

EDIT: I did change the setting to metered as the steps instructed.

My laptop PC info is at the right << in My Systems....
Old 12-10-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, there are ways to control windows updates with registry modifications, unfortunately they reveal methods that could be misused. A simple way is to create two .bat files, one turns on the other turns off. Run the attached .zip files they produce a .bat file, place on desktop and run the stop (disables) WU, then when you wish run start (enables) WU.

NOTE:- you need to do this manually and you must right click on the .bat file and select "run as administrator" a quick flash of cmd prompt will happen in the background.The change takes place immediately so no need to restart.

Stop Update.zip

Start update.zip
Old 12-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, there are ways to control windows updates with registry modifications, unfortunately they reveal methods that could be misused. A simple way is to create two .bat files, one turns on the other turns off. Run the attached .zip files they produce a .bat file, place on desktop and run the stop (disables) WU, then when you wish run start (enables) WU.

NOTE:- you need to do this manually and you must right click on the .bat file and select "run as administrator" a quick flash of cmd prompt will happen in the background.The change takes place immediately so no need to restart.

Attachment 297338

Attachment 297346
Just my opinion, mind you, but recommending average, every day people, who aren't coders or PC geeks and who only have a basic understanding of PCs and how they work, to start messing in the registry isn't realistic. I know that's not a place I want to be because I don't know the first thing about it.

What I do know is every since I got online (in 1999) everywhere you looked Microsoft said, Don't mess with the registry, and if it's ok with everyone, I really don't want to get in there fooling around with things.

If this is your only solution, janae, thank you very much for your time and trouble, but I'll pass.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, they are sc config cmds seperate from the registry and perfectly safe, regardless of what you might want, the outcome will always effect the registry. Running these cmds place a 4 as startup type for windows update (disabled) in the registry and a start up type 2 (enabled).

Modifying the registry is warned against to prevent unsafe practices, however the registry is altered by every program you run and by many other utils, the trick is to do it safely, I probably know more about the registry then anyone you are likely to encounter(I worked on developing the first one), please be assured NO registry mod I recommend will do any harm, if there was a problem I would mention it.. as I said if you want to control windows updates you will have to have the registry modified regardless, better to do it safely or not at all.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Hi, they are sc config cmds seperate from the registry and perfectly safe, regardless of what you might want, the outcome will always effect the registry. Running these cmds place a 4 as startup type for windows update (disabled) in the registry and a start up type 2 (enabled).

Modifying the registry is warned against to prevent unsafe practices, however the registry is altered by every program you run and by many other utils, the trick is to do it safely, I probably know more about the registry then anyone you are likely to encounter(I worked on developing the first one), please be assured NO registry mod I recommend will do any harm, if there was a problem I would mention it.. as I said if you want to control windows updates you will have to have the registry modified regardless, better to do it safely or not at all.
I'm so sorry, Janae, I don't understand much of the above reply other than a couple comments. If the registry is affected by every program run on my PC, then, ok, that's exactly how the program was designed and I don't have a hand in that.

But expecting me to fool with the registry when I don't understand the instructions is folly. I mean, it's good you understand the registry and were once involved with the construction of it, but I don't have a clue how it works, or why it works. Which is why I never mess with it.

Quote:

Attachment 297338

Attachment 297346
So, the above instructions on how to go into the registry and make changes are instructions I really don't know how to implement.

This sentence in particular.....A simple way is to create two .bat files, one turns on the other turns off. Run the attached .zip files they produce a .bat file, place on desktop and run the stop (disables) WU, then when you wish run start (enables) WU. You might as well have been speaking German for all the sense it makes to me.

I have no idea what a .bat file is, or how to make one. I have never learned how to make a .zip file or even how to open one.

So, if you want to break down these complicated instructions you've offered me to the very basic beginnings, like how to create these .bat files you've spoken of, ok. I'll listen and hope I can follow along.

But, if that's not in your playbook, that's ok, too. I'll just go to alternate plan B.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Off Topic: I was bombed with updates in Windows 7. Hundreds of them. This was after SP1. The OS became so fouled that it could barely function. So, I wiped it, and reloaded. I set the updates so I could pick and choose.

So far, 10 has not behaved this way, and I hope it does not. It has installed 13 updates so far. This was on the 23rd, three days after the install. Nothing since. If 10 goes wild, like 7 did, then I will have to take action.

I read a lot of what is above and all this seems like a long way around. There is a single "service" entry that can shut down the entire process. I disabled it in 7, and had no further issues. Note: This was my choice and I am not encouraging anyone to do this! I trust my 29 years of experience as a user.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Off Topic: I was bombed with updates in Windows 7. Hundreds of them. This was after SP1. The OS became so fouled that it could barely function. So, I wiped it, and reloaded. I set the updates so I could pick and choose.

So far, 10 has not behaved this way, and I hope it does not. It has installed 13 updates so far. This was on the 23rd, three days after the install. Nothing since. If 10 goes wild, like 7 did, then I will have to take action.

I read a lot of what is above and all this seems like a long way around. There is a single "service" entry that can shut down the entire process. I disabled it in 7, and had no further issues. Note: This was my choice and I am not encouraging anyone to do this! I trust my 29 years of experience as a user.
You're absolutely correct, Storm5510, Windows XP, didn't have Vista so don't know if it had it, Windows 7, and I believe Windows 8, had a way to tell the Windows Update system not to automatically install our new updates. We had the option of telling Windows Update to just download the updates and, then, we would install them when it was convenient for us. I turned on that feature almost as soon as I got every new Microsoft OS.

However, that is not the case with Windows 10. They've eliminated that feature that allowed us to install updates on our schedule. It just isn't as easy as it was in previous OSs. There's not even a Windows Update section in the Control Panel. I swear, it takes a coder to understand how to shut of this automatic update. Just look at all the instructions I was given in Posts 3 & 5. Not as simple as it was.

One of the reasons there are so many features missing from Windows 10, and this is something I read just today on How-to-Geek's website (and I consider this site fairly reliable).....Microsoft tried to keep Windows 10 coding size at about 16Gbs. I think they're looking to create an OS for mobiles.

And, in my opinion, that's why Windows 10 was free. This was Microsoft's first attempt at writing an OS which was really small, and everyone who got Windows 10 for free really, in actuality, was a beta user.....

So, again, in my humble opinion, I think Microsoft has decided to join the band wagon of smaller is better, and leave those of us who prefer larger PCs by the wayside. I feel they're looking at moving into the mobile OS market. And, of course, why wouldn't they? That's the trend.....smaller is better.

However, I'll never be a "smaller" mobile user for all the work I want to do online. My laptop and my desktop absolutely need a bigger OS than 16 Gbs, because of all the features I want when working online. Also, I don't use my phone, or my tablet, to do much online work simply because the screens and keyboards are just soooo abso--freakin--lutely bloody tiny. I want a larger screen to see what I'm doing and a larger keyboard to see what I'm typing. My phone and tablet just don't work well in that way.

So, us older folx are becoming dinosaurs to Microsoft and they just figure, like the T.Rex, we won't be here that much longer, and the world belongs to the pocket-sized-mobile-preferring Millennial generation.

Although, this does have me wondering what the accountants of the world are going to do. Kinda hard to keep all the records of your business customers on a tablet.....

Just my opinion, nothing more.........
Old 12-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #11
- Microsoft Support

hi, I am sorry that my attempts to assist have caused such offence, however if you do not like blue sky, then that is tough since there is nothing you can do about it. The same applies here, you asked (well in fact you didn't you just hijacked BeingChinmay's post), " I need to shut off this Update setting".

The method I gave you was as simplified as possible and involves doing what Storm did in windows Seven, modify a service setting. In order for windows to update it needs a windows service this service has a common name of "Windows update" and a service name of "wuauserv".

Using a service control cmd sc (service control) and since we want to change something "config" the cmd is sc config. Now we want to be able to stop and start windows updates whenever we want to. The easiest way is to create a .bat file to do this, now since .bat files are script files and can be used to do nasty things this forum (and all others) do not allow them. So we create the file and then as this forum allows .zip files we create a .zip file that when run produces the .bat file, this is stuff that any basic computer user should know, just ask any primary school kid.

You are NOT going anywhere near the registry, the result of running the .bat file will as I pointed out make a change to the registry, any attempt to control windows updates will involve a registry change regardless, my way is perfectly safe.. and should, I believed, be very easy for anyone with basic computing skills to follow.

If you wanted to do this manually press the win + r key together in the run dialogue box type:-

services.msc (press ok) windows services will open, navigate to windows update and right click select properties, next, set startup type to disabled. To enable updates repeat the process and this time set startup type to automatic. It is necessary to restart computer (not shutdown) to effect changes.

MS have a very large and growing corporate base it is by far the largest segment of the computer market, windows ten has more features and interoperability then any previous operating system, to suggest they are on a self defining road to ruin by destroying this is ridiculous.

Perhaps if you spent more time on educating yourself regarding basic skills such as .bat and .zip files it would be more benificial for you then some of the rubbish on the net.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
...Perhaps if you spent more time on educating yourself regarding basic skills such as .bat and .zip files it would be more beneficial for you then some of the rubbish on the net.
Agreed! I would recommend a short course at your local community college. If this is not available, join a computer user group. 99% of what I have learned in my 29 years of using computers I learned on my own. It just takes some basic knowledge to get started.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:21 AM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
hi, I am sorry that my attempts to assist have caused such offence,
Offended? This surprises me. I wasn't offended over the instructions I was given by you. No tech support agent in this Forum has ever offended me. I have always been appreciative and supportive of everything the tech support people do on this website for those of us out here who don't know the first things about the workings of a PC.

I wrote my replies to you as politely as I could, using the terms "I'm sorry" and "thank you" in several posts.

In post #6 my reply to you was, "....janae, thank you very much for your time and trouble, but I'll pass."

In post #8 I replied to you, "I'm so sorry, Janae, I don't understand much of the above reply...."

I don't understand how these words are being interpreted as me being offended. I assure I wasn't. I was thanking you for your time and trouble, and apologizing for not understanding what I was being instructed to do.

How I read my comments, and what I was coveying, was my disappointment and sadness about not knowing enough about the process being explained to me to the point where I couldn't carry out the instructions. They were just so far over my head.

[quote=jenae;7319257]however if you do not like blue sky, then that is tough since there is nothing you can do about it. [QUOTE]

OK....

Quote:
the same applies here, you asked (well in fact you didn't you just hijacked BeingChinmay's post), " I need to shut off this Update setting".
On Nov 29, '16, 5:26am, BeingChinMay (registered member) posted, starting off the thread, "How Off Auto Update in Windows 10 OS ?"

On Nov 29, '16, 9:37am MasterChiefxx17 (Microsoft MVP & Team Moderator) posted, "Is there a reason why you would want to?" along with a link, "How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates."

On Nov 29, '16, 10:28am, Shaagul (under his name is Troubled) posted a link, "Disable / Turn Off Automatic Updates In Windows 10, Here's How | Redmond Pie" and a quote box with a quote from the link along with a couple of screenshots.

On Dec 10, '16, 5:02pm, I posted a question to MasterChiefxx17 about the link he posted:

In this step ^ it says, "This option only affects the Wi-Fi network you’re currently editing, but Windows will remember this setting for each individual Wi-Fi network on which you change it. (If you haven’t gotten the Anniversary Update yet, this option will be in Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced Options.)"

Then, I said, "Forgive my ignorance, but I don't have a clue what this means. When it says, "This option only affects the Wi-Fi network you're currently editing,..." what does "currently editing" mean?

1. My first post in this thread was a full 17 days after the last post to this thread was made. These 17 days makes it difficult for me to understand how I was hijacking this thread. The thread lie dormant for 2 1/2 weeks, my post was on topic and it was in reply to MasterChiefxx17's link to solving the thread's topic. It's entirely possible I don't fully understand Microsoft's Tech Support Forum's definition of the term "hijacked," and, if so, I apologize for my lack.

2. I apologized to MasterChiefxx17 for my ignorance of not understanding what the link was trying to explain. I'm always trying to be polite and courteous to the techs here when I don't understand what's being explained to me.

Quote:
The method I gave you was as simplified as possible and involves doing what Storm did in windows Seven, modify a service setting. In order for windows to update it needs a windows service this service has a common name of "Windows update" and a service name of "wuauserv".

Using a service control cmd sc (service control) and since we want to change something "config" the cmd is sc config. Now we want to be able to stop and start windows updates whenever we want to. The easiest way is to create a .bat file to do this, now since .bat files are script files and can be used to do nasty things this forum (and all others) do not allow them. So we create the file and then as this forum allows .zip files we create a .zip file that when run produces the .bat file, this is stuff that any basic computer user should know, just ask any primary school kid.

You are NOT going anywhere near the registry, the result of running the .bat file will as I pointed out make a change to the registry, any attempt to control windows updates will involve a registry change regardless, my way is perfectly safe.. and should, I believed, be very easy for anyone with basic computing skills to follow.

If you wanted to do this manually press the win + r key together in the run dialogue box type:-

services.msc (press ok) windows services will open, navigate to windows update and right click select properties, next, set startup type to disabled. To enable updates repeat the process and this time set startup type to automatic. It is necessary to restart computer (not shutdown) to effect changes.
I'll try to read through these instructions and figure them out as I see they've been expanded and added to. Again, thank you for your time and trouble.

Quote:
MS have a very large and growing corporate base it is by far the largest segment of the computer market, windows ten has more features and interoperability then any previous operating system, to suggest they are on a self defining road to ruin by destroying this is ridiculous.

Perhaps if you spent more time on educating yourself regarding basic skills such as .bat and .zip files it would be more benificial for you then some of the rubbish on the net.

This is rude.

Number one, you ***+u+me I haven't thought of this.

I am a bit slow where computers are concerned, but I'm not stupid. If there was any way on this green earth where I could get out and about to some kind of computer class to learn what it is I don't know, don't you think I would have done that already?

You're rude because you're assuming I'm a normal able-bodied person, who has all the abilities necessary to get out and about to attend classes on computers.

Well, I can't. I've been disabled since 1988.

You're also assuming I have the financial ability to attend computer classes at the local community college.

Well, I can't. I've been disabled since a car accident in 1988, and this is where my career stopped. I couldn't work, so I wasn't able to continue to put away a decent retirement savings. I'm living on what Social Security gives me....$1205 per month. YOU try living on that. Even if I wasn't disabled, I can't afford any kind of class fees.

You're also assuming there are adult educational classes available in my area.

Well, you're wrong. This area I live in has a scattered, unorganized system of adult education classes. You have to call every High School, and there are few of them around, and ask if they offer night classes and what the subjects are.

And even if this place had the best adult educational classes in the country, it wouldn't matter.......I'm disabled and not able to get out.

Why in heaven's name do you think I come here??? I've been coming to this forum since 2007 because it doesn't require me to get out, and the cost works for me.

OK, Janae, NOW you can say I'm offended. AND insulted. And disappointed. And saddened.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:25 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

This thread is Solved.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
- Microsoft Support

Hi, if you concentrate on your abilities I am sure you could find many ways to improve your computer skills.Just being here has helped you I am sure, you can use the internet to educate yourself , you don't need to physically attend a college.

I will always offer the most simple solution to a problem if I can, it was not me that misunderstood, and it was not me that offered that MS have a ridiculous agenda. If you wish to avoid doing this in the future, take my advice. And the person who started this thread has the right to call it solved not you.