Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Font and app size suddenly too small

This is a discussion on Font and app size suddenly too small within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am using Windows 10 and routinely change the Display setting 'Change the size of text, apps, and other

Old 04-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I am using Windows 10 and routinely change the Display setting 'Change the size of text, apps, and other items' to 125% and back to 100% to type while using the Notepad app.

Over the last day or two I have noticed that the shortcut (and other) icons and font on my desktop, as well as on my internet [Firefox] tabs, have all become a lot smaller, too small to read comfortably, for a reason that I can't figure out.

My display resolution is unchanged at 1920x1080 (Recommended), and the 'Change size of text, apps, and other items' is set to 100% as normal, so I don't know what has happened to minimise the text and shortcut icons.

Changing the settings to 125% and back to 100% doesn't solve the problem, neither does changing the font size bar underneath the 'Make text bigger' option. As far as I can see, everything is as it should be, yet the text and icons remain mysteriously shrank.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

My computer has the following specifications:

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-M: MICRO-ATX, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT) Graphics / Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
Sky999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

Serious first question, with no snark intended: Have you tried a Restart?
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have, I found that I wasn't on Windows 10 1909 and so I restarted about half an hour ago after updating to it, but the problem remains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Run Windows Update again and even if something is optional, download and install it. Also, in Advanced Display settings, turn on the "blurring prevent" feature. Finally using your mouse scroll, get everything the way you want in the default resolution, shutdown (completely, not restart) and restart as a cold boot.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Run Windows Update again and even if something is optional, download and install it. Also, in Advanced Display settings, turn on the "blurring prevent" feature. Finally using your mouse scroll, get everything the way you want in the default resolution, shutdown (completely, not restart) and restart as a cold boot.
Thanks for your help Corday and Britechguy. I tried everything that you just suggested, Corday, but I have just figured out the solution and I am afraid that it was as simple as adjusting the text size option, which I thought that I had tried but apparently I hadn't done it correctly.

Please accept my apologies for wasting your time through my own silly mistake! I shall mark this as solved and my mistake can serve as an example of the necessity of paying more attention to things.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

And I thank you, very much, for reporting back that the problem was solved and it was the result of user error.

We all make mistakes, but it's what we do afterward that makes all the difference.

In a case like this, identifying the mistake is something that could prove useful to later readers as something they need to double check, as you did.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote