Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Flash player updates

This is a discussion on Flash player updates within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Whenever my laptop starts up I get the Flash player update window. I've read online that there is malware that

Old 01-09-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Whenever my laptop starts up I get the Flash player update window. I've read online that there is malware that disguises itself as this but I don't think that's the case here. It seems to be the real adobe one. It comes up with Chrome, and when I choose update, it opens Edge and does an update. But it still keeps coming up. I do use Flash for certain things. What should I do? Thanks in advance!
usingpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Current Flash version # (from Control Panel)? There are 3 versions of Flash. Depending on what browsers you use, Edge will update Flash automatically with Windows Update. Whether you need the others depends on what browsers you use, therefore you might get more frequent reminders if say you use FF + Opera.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

I don't understand. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 12:57 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

See https://www.lifewire.com/what-versio...i-have-2617986 for ways of checking which version(s) of flash player you have. Also, there is a Control Panel applet for Flash Player, just open Control Panel and search for "flash". You'll see the applet. Open it and set the preferences to automatic update.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
See https://www.lifewire.com/what-versio...i-have-2617986 for ways of checking which version(s) of flash player you have. Also, there is a Control Panel applet for Flash Player, just open Control Panel and search for "flash". You'll see the applet. Open it and set the preferences to automatic update.
I have checked and all is fine. I update anyway and I still get that window upon startup. Also, after updating from Chrome (and then being told to close browser) after the install, Edge automatically opens. I don't understand the relationship. Checked the applet and it is set for automatic updates.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

That's correct. Edge on Step 3. Now if you have another browser besides Chrome, IE and Edge, you have to update from: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ using that browser.

Old 01-12-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
That's correct. Edge on Step 3. Now if you have another browser besides Chrome, IE and Edge, you have to update from: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ using that browser.
So is it updating for Edge and not Chrome? Anyway it keeps asking and I keep updating.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

What other browsers do you have?

Old 01-14-2020, 05:21 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
What other browsers do you have?
All the usual ones. Why?
Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

NPAPI and PPAPI are used in various browsers. If in Your Control Panel>Flash you see both, you need to download each separately with it's appropriate browser. Chrome, Opera, and Vivaldi all use PPAPI.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Hello,

I guess you did not hear that Adobe is "killing" flash this year (2020) and Google has cut off access to flash on its Chrome browser through an update that was already issued. I would not sweat the flash messages; ignore them I get them too (corp level 1 tech suppt w/25 yrs experience) and they are not only limited to Chrome, if you have flash on your computer which most everyone does then you will randomly get the update notifications.

Here are three reputable articles to read about the ending of Flash.

From ADOBE:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/is-there-a-replacement-player-for-the-flash-player/td-p/10040120

From Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520411/adobe-flash-end-of-support

USA TODAY:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2018/09/24/googles-latest-chrome-update-tightens-locks-adobe-flash/1348935002/

Hope you find this info helpful.

Wonder Woman
WndrWmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:50 AM   #12
Registered Member

Sounds like you only have one browser that uses Flash. My advice is to go to Control Panel and uninstall all instances of Flash Player. Restart your computer and go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ USING FIREFOX to make sure you get the correct version. Download the exe, close Firefox and run the Adobe Flash exe.

NEXT... go to Task Scheduler and remove any instances of Adobe Update. You can use the new Windows Search to find and open Task Scheduler. Select the Task Scheduler Library to open up the scheduled tasks.

THEN... set your default browser to your preferred so that Edge does not open web links. Use Windows Search again and type Default Apps. The browser selection is at the bottom.
Sgayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WndrWmn View Post
Hello,

I guess you did not hear that Adobe is "killing" flash this year (2020) and Google has cut off access to flash on its Chrome browser through an update that was already issued. I would not sweat the flash messages; ignore them I get them too (corp level 1 tech suppt w/25 yrs experience) and they are not only limited to Chrome, if you have flash on your computer which most everyone does then you will randomly get the update notifications.

Here are three reputable articles to read about the ending of Flash.

From ADOBE:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/is-there-a-replacement-player-for-the-flash-player/td-p/10040120

From Microsoft:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4520411/adobe-flash-end-of-support

USA TODAY:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2018/09/24/googles-latest-chrome-update-tightens-locks-adobe-flash/1348935002/

Hope you find this info helpful.

Wonder Woman
Flash is good for another year and still works on Chrome, fortunately, because I need it for things I do with my classes.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:38 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Chrome won't allow you to update or download the flash player. When you go to a site that needs flash, you'll have to right click on the little lock in the address bar and then click Allow Flash for that page or right click in the place where flash runs on the page and click Allow from there. You'll also have to do this every single time now. Chrome won't allow Flash to run without permission each time you visit the page. If you need to update hopefully it'll let that happen at that point. So far I haven't had a problem after I click on Allow and I keep getting that update message too.
LivingNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #15
Registered Member

So I see under programs that I have Flash as both an NPAPI and a PPAPI (whatever those are). Which should I delete? I think having them both may be causing the problem.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Having both causes no problems. What you need depends on what browsers you have installed.