Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Edge not working but other browsers ok

This is a discussion on Edge not working but other browsers ok within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Windows 10 laptop, Avast free wasn't working so I removed it and ran a Malwarebytes scan followed by a

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to cdpaul

Hi,
Windows 10 laptop, Avast free wasn't working so I removed it and ran a Malwarebytes scan followed by a Sophos online scan. When I opened Edge (To download Avast again) I got the Hmm we couldn't find that page message.

When I do ipconfig it shows an ip that isn't in the range 192.168 for IPv4 and nothing for default gateway (Don't know if this is relevant).

One last thing, when I look in services at DNS Client, it shows as Automatic and running but the start/stop are greyed out.

Any ideas please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, well your sig shows windows seven, yet you have posted in the win 10 forum?

DNS service is a system service and as such you are meant to leave it alone, unlike win 7 though, in win 10 if DNS client is disabled, it won't effect internet connectivity. I fail to see how other browsers work if ipconfig doesn't show the default gateway that is the handshake to your router, and effects internet connectivity (ie none).

Looks like removing third party AV utils has messed up your computer, in win 10 you really only need windows defender and windows defender firewall. Did you use the avast uninstall util to remove it, programs and features is not sufficient to remove an AV.

You most likely need to repair your winsock and for good measure ipv 4.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open.

At the prompt copy paste:-

netsh int ip reset (press enter) Do not worry if some of these fail in your case this should be OK. Do not restart computer when asked. Next still at the command prompt copy paste:-

netsh winsock reset (press enter) This time restart computer when prompted.

Next turn off your computer and disconnect the power completely(if a laptop take out the battery as well). Leave the computer off.

Turn off your router and remove all power to it. leave for at least 20 secs then restart the router, wait until all the connection led lights on the router show.

next restart your computer. Check your internet now. let us know how you get on, before doing anything I would use the Avast uninstaller first:-

https://www.avast.com/en-au/uninstall-utility
Old 02-07-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Can you get to any other web site with Edge?
Press the Win key+S in search box type Control Panel. Click Internet Options/Connections tab/Lan Settings. Make sure all boxes are Unchecked.
Press the Win key+S to open search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator. In the Elevated Command Prompt type or paste this command into it
Ipconfig /all> 0 & notepad 0
and press Enter. Copy the Notepad results and Paste them into your next post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi spunk might be best if we wait until the OP comes back, if there is no default gateway (OP says they ran ipconfig "nothing for default gateway) so no connection.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

If you look at the Time Stamp Jenae, you will see I was typing the same time you were, you just beat me to it.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

My PC is Windows 7 but this is a mates laptop who isn't very tech savvy and asked me to look for him.

I've followed your instructions and now my gateway is showing correctly but I still can't view ANY webpages in Edge but can in Chrome and Internet Explorer.

I have run Avast removal tool.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:55 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

Hi, open pc settings and select "Apps" scroll to you find microsoft edge, then select advanced options, next, select the repair option. Restart computer.

If this fails we can reinstall edge, let us know how you get on.

Personally I would never use edge, I have removed it from my computer and prefer Chrome...up to you.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

I told my mate, I had sorted the Avast (it wouldn't open so he couldn't scan) but I was concerned that Edge not working might mean an infection. Otherwise he is happy to use Chrome :)
Old 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
Registered Member

I followed your last instructions but it's still the same. Looks like just Chrome from now on
Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thank you for looking at this for me :)
Closed Thread