Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Dual Boot Setup

This is a discussion on Dual Boot Setup within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I want to create a dual boot setup with Windows 10 and Windows 7. I have some older video processing

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I want to create a dual boot setup with Windows 10 and Windows 7. I have some older video processing applications which will not run with Windows 10. One, in particular, is no longer produced, but does an excellent job.

I read a lot of articles on the web and browsed hundreds of posts here. Nearly all are about adding Windows 10 after Windows 7. I want to do the reverse. I want to make that clear, to avoid any confusion.

Here, I have my quandary. I have a single 1TB HD which I can split into two volumes. I also have a separate 500 GB drive in the system. I am leaning towards using the separate drive because if Windows 10 goes haywire, as it has done before, the chances of it affecting a separate drive would be less, I would think. Also, Acronis TrueImage may not let me restore one partition, or the other, individually.

In either case the Secure Boot Manager will not let the system boot with Windows 7 DVD, even when it is not at the top of the list in the BIOS. I suppose I could simply disable it, but then, the system might not be aware of the changes being made.

So, I am needing some guidance. I've never done anything like this before, and I want to get it right on the first try.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Have you first tried to run your video editing software in Windows 7 compatibility mode?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Have you first tried to run your video editing software in Windows 7 compatibility mode?
Tried and failed multiple times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Personally, I've never been a fan of keeping everything on one drive, you lose the primary advantage of having multiple operating systems.
I prefer installing each OS on it's own drive while the other drive is unplugged.
The advantage is that if one drive fails you can always boot into the second drive and commence rescue/recovery operations. With a typical boot manager, the boot info for both operating systems is all on the primary drive.

You have to use F12 to select the boot drive/OS instead of a boot manager and set your primary OS as the default drive for convenience. (My grand kids use mine sometimes, so I have default set to a fully locked down drive with their stuff on it)
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I found a work-around for my video software issue, for now. I'll just have to replace all my applications. Pricy!
Closed Thread