Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Driver update

This is a discussion on Driver update within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. What DRIVERS UPDATE free program do you recommend? Using Winnows 10. Thank you, edddie460

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

What DRIVERS UPDATE free program do you recommend? Using Winnows 10.
Thank you, edddie460
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
Game Team Tech

most updates come from microsoft anyway, any other apps programmes should update when a newer version is available.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
Windows Tech Team

My System

None other than your computer OEM's "service station/system monitor" type program and/or the driver updater from your equipment OEM's site, e.g., Intel's Driver & Support Assistant if your system has an Intel WiFi card.

Third party driver update programs are notorious for causing way more issues than they solve.

And as @steve32mids has noted, Microsoft's own Windows Update looks in the massive library compiled by Microsoft, with drivers supplied by a wide range of makers, to select a best fit for any hardware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Press the Windows Key +X. Choose Device Manager. If thee are no devices with Yellow Flags, you do not Need ANY drivers. Unless a device is not working correctly.
All drivers are supplied by the Computer/Motherboard Manufacturer for free. You do not need any 3rd party apps to download them.
Some drivers may be older, but they were written specifically for this computer by the manufacturer. Newer drivers will be offered by Windows Update, but may not be compatible with your computer.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:07 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, well this is a misunderstood area , firstly most OEM's try to effect a marketing advantage, so drivers are developed for specific hardware they do not always convey these changes to MS (has been a problem unsolved for years ) called commercial imperative.

No third party driver utils should ever be used, MS driver updates should be disabled (not MS's fault despite years of discussion commercial imperative ( in other words marketing advantage rules).

You should disable windows driver updates as a result to do this follow these instructions :-Press the win + r keys together, copy the below text into the run dialogue box:-

Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL Sysdm.cpl,,2 (press enter)

The "System properties Hardware Tab" will open

Select "Device installation settings"

Put a check in box NO and save settings.(ignore the warning it is meaningless, needs to be done after every CU (quality update)

Now you should only get your driver updates from the OEM's site or from the hardware manufacture, this is the only way to ensure you are getting the right driver, if in doubt post here we can query the drivers required for you.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team

My System

Far be it from me to disagree with jenae as a general rule, but I have not had a problem with Windows Update fetching a "bad driver" under Windows 10 for at least a couple of years now, and I leave the driver update feature on.

That being said, his advice with to NEVER use third party driver updaters cannot be stressed enough. They are an almost sure route to madness.

Use only the driver updater utilities that come with your OEM's "service station" type programs, e.g., HP Support Assistant or Toshiba Service Station, or the driver updater for a specific piece of hardware from that hardware's manufacturer, e.g., Intel Driver & Support Assistant, if your machine has, for example, an Intel WiFi card.

In recent years, Intel has been churning out driver update after driver update for its components at an unbelievable rate - I've never seen anything like this in terms of frequency in the past - and they are either not supplying the drivers to Microsoft and the computer OEMs or MS and the OEMs are not integrating these changes into their own "Driver Libraries in the Cloud" in a timely manner. On the machines I maintain that have Intel components I routinely use the Driver & Support Assistant and let it do its thing.
Closed Thread