Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Copying Win10 to new m.2 NVME SSD from HDD caused boot issues

This is a discussion on Copying Win10 to new m.2 NVME SSD from HDD caused boot issues within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I think this is the right place for this, please help me place it if I'm wrong! I installed a

Old 06-02-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I think this is the right place for this, please help me place it if I'm wrong!

I installed a new m.2 NVME SSD in my gf's older Alienware 15R2 to help with speed, and ran the utilities to clone the HDD to the SSD. I had some issues convincing the computer to boot Windows off the SSD instead of her existing HDD however - the only way I was able to solve this was by wiping the HDD entirely, so that it had no choice of where to boot. There doesn't seem to be a way in a BIOS to simply select the boot drive like I'm used to from pre-UEFI days - it says 'os select', or something along those lines.

However, now it sometimes has issues when booting, and in some other minor ways. It'll hang somewhere in the boot sequence for a while, give a black screen for like 5 minutes before finally booting - like it's trying to figure out why the HDD isn't letting it boot from there. When it does everything right, it's much faster... But between the boot issue and other minor issues, I'm thinking I need to wipe the machine and reinstall fresh to eliminate the bugs that came from giving it a new drive.

Can anyone offer any assistance in what would be the CORRECT way to swap windows from a SATA HDD to an m.2 NVME SSD in the future? Perhaps some way to correct the issue that I've caused without resorting to a full reinstall? Anything else I did wrong?
PhoenixCodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 02:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Press F2 at bootup to boot into Setup (Bios) By default the internal SSD/HDD is considered Disk 0 and will try to bot from it first unless you go to the Boot tab and move the M.2 to First boot device.
If you didn't clone the whole Disk including the Hidden System partition which holds the Boot file, then Windows was using the boot file from the HDD. Now that you have erased it, Windows is having a problem booting.
Get a Windows installer USB Flash drive, boot off of the at and choose your Language, then Repair Your Computer. That will give you the Troubleshooting menu, Choose Advanced then try a Startup Repair.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote