Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Confused about zip folders

This is a discussion on Confused about zip folders within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How do these work? After I download one, I can't open it to see the contents. If I move the

Old 02-11-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

How do these work? After I download one, I can't open it to see the contents. If I move the folder to my desktop I can open it. Why? And sometimes it will visibly extract that way. But when I move the folder to my Google Drive from the download window, it won't go in unless I first drop it onto my desktop, though it doesn't seem to extract there. Then when I move it from desktop to Google Drive I can open it. What's going on?
usingpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

there are Zip files and there are RAR files, which are a different breed of a compressed file. You usually need 7 Zip or WINRAR to unzip these files.
When you click on a Zip or RAR file, it will open to show the contents, but you must Extract the Contents to your Desktop or download location, before using the contents, you can create a folder to unzip it to. Then you can move the Extracted folder to where ever you want to move it to.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
there are Zip files and there are RAR files, which are a different breed of a compressed file. You usually need 7 Zip or WINRAR to unzip these files.
When you click on a Zip or RAR file, it will open to show the contents, but you must Extract the Contents to your Desktop or download location, before using the contents, you can create a folder to unzip it to. Then you can move the Extracted folder to where ever you want to move it to.
Did you understand the process I described and what may be happening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2020, 02:57 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
After I download one, I can't open it to see the contents.
If, when you download a file, it goes to a Temporary folder, you would need to move it to the Desktop or Download folder to Extract it. Unless you change the download location (ie) save to desktop or Downloads folder.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:34 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

Are you trying to drag a file from your browser 'Downloads' and and drop it in your Online google drive window ?

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

When I download it I see it, I assume in my downloads folder. Why do I have to drag it to desktop to open the files? If this is because it magically unzips (which happens with some folders) I am not seeing it happen when I drag it there. And yet, files will then open from the zipped folder once it's on my desktop.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
Windows Tech Team Moderator
Hardware Tech Team Moderator

Read what spunky said, that will explain the difference between 'open' and 'save' typically users don't pay a lot of attention to them because they usually set a default action during the initial customization.

tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:39 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What browser are you using? (ie) IE, Chrome Firefox.
When you download a file, you have the option to Run the program or to Save it. If you run it, a Zip file may be downloading to a Temp file, a Zip file cannot be Extracted in the Temp file. When you view a Zip file, you have to go to the top of the tool bar of the Unzipping program and choose Extract. It will ask where do you want to extract the file to. Here you can choose Desktop, C:\Users\[UserName]\Downloads or wherever. Then you can view the Extracted files in a folder and run the program or whatever.
If you want to Keep the Zip file, the choose to Save it to the fore mentioned folders or wherever. You then can Extract the files to the same folder the Zip file was saved it. Then you can drag the Extracted files in their folder to Google Drive.