Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Computer stutters and becomes unresponsive until Windows key is pressed on keyboard

This is a discussion on Computer stutters and becomes unresponsive until Windows key is pressed on keyboard within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all. I've had this weird problem ever since I got my computer where my computer will lock up randomly

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all. I've had this weird problem ever since I got my computer where my computer will lock up randomly and the only way to unfreeze it is to press the the Windows button on my keyboard. That brings up the start menu and then I'm able to move my mouse again and use my computer. At that point I just press the windows key again to close the start menu and resume what I was doing. Sometimes I can tell the computer is about to lock up because my mouse cursor will start blinking rapidly.

I've had this happen since I built my computer two or three years ago. It hasn't been much more than a nuisance until recently when I started playing a certain video game. Mind you, this lock up happens when I watch youtube videos or play games or anything. For some reason, this game I started playing recently called Heroes of the Storm causes the freeze thing once every few minutes. It makes the game basically unplayable since I have to press ctrl alt delete and then the windows key to regain control of my computer.

I've tried reinstalling Windows 10 and updating my graphics drivers and all other drivers on my computer. It even happens after a fresh Windows 10 install with no other programs or anything else installed.

My computer specs are:
Intel i5 4590
Gigabyte GA-H81M-H
Team Elite Plus 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Gigabyte gtx 780

Windows is running off a 64 GB ssd and storage is on a 1TB WD blue.

Let me know if I've forgotten something or if there are more details I can provide to help diagnose this problem. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

This is a real head scratcher. The PC instantly becomes unfrozen when the Windows key is pressed? Am I understanding that right?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
Hi and Welcome to TSF!

This is a real head scratcher. The PC instantly becomes unfrozen when the Windows key is pressed? Am I understanding that right?
That's right. As soon as the Windows key on the keyboard is pressed, the start menu pops up and the screen unfreezes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, you say this has been happening for a long time, prior, I take it to win 10 being installed. Could you open event viewer expand the windows logs and tell us if anything related to this shows up... Like Chief I have never come across this before.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, you say this has been happening for a long time, prior, I take it to win 10 being installed. Could you open event viewer expand the windows logs and tell us if anything related to this shows up... Like Chief I have never come across this before.
Sorry for the delayed response. I checked event viewer and there's nothing related to the freezing on there.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, well from what you say, this happens at random times, not on any time schedule? Odd that event viewer does not record any instances, there are other analysis utils we can use, for the moment though it does not appear to be a lock screen issue. In play then are the win key, keyboard, and mouse. Open regedit and navigate to:- (We could do a reg query cmd for this, although we will get a lot of data and we need only a little of it, besides you will get used to going into the registry).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} Look in the right payne for Upper or lower filters, note down what appears, we need you to show us

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} same deal as above, let us know.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

Look in the right payne with this key only (not interested in sub keys), should only show a null default entry.. tell us what you see.

Maybe Chief has some idea?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

What are your Power Options settings in Control Panel for Power managment?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Registered Member

ok I managed to fix it. The solution was so simple it's almost embarrassing. So yesterday I went into my pictures folder and noticed that it was filled with screenshots. Odd since I don't take many with windows + print screen. Then the realization hit me. Maybe my keyboard has been acting up and spamming the print screen button extremely fast and that's why my cursor would blink and my screen would freeze up and it would only stop after I pressed windows and it saved a screenshot. I plugged the keyboard into a different USB port and it hasn't happened in 24 hours. I can't believe I let this happen for a year or two. It really boggles my mind that I never thought to change ports.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Way to go!!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread