Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

CMD appear and disappear when booting Win10 USB

This is a discussion on CMD appear and disappear when booting Win10 USB within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It seems normal that a CMD appear and disappear when booting from a Win10 DVD made by Microsoft and sold

Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

It seems normal that a CMD appear and disappear when booting from a Win10 DVD made by Microsoft and sold on a DVD media.

But it doesnít seem normal that a CMD appears and disappears when booting from a Win10 USB or burned DVD created by downloaded files from Microsoft.

In the beginning there didnít appeared and disappeared any CMD when I booted from a Win10 USB. But after checking my outlook mail, it suddenly appeared. And I expect it to be caused by a rootkit or other type of malicious code. But Iím not totally sure.

I have tried to use PartedMagic NVME Secure Erase to delete all data on my SSD, but the CMD still appears when booting from USB.

If I go to the next page of the installation program and then abort the installation of Win10, the CMD doesnít appear the next time I boot from the USB. But if I then continue the installation or abort the installation, the CMD appears again the next time I boot from the USB.

I therefore expect the appearance to be caused by a rootkit or other kind of malicious code either on the SSD or on the motherboard. If it was on the USB or other place, I would expect it to appear every time the pc booted from the Win10 USB.

If Iím right in the cause of the appearance of the CMD, I really hope someone can help me get rid of it as I havenít got any luck with it in about half a year now.
MyTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If you're talking about a 1 second flash, I wouldn't worry about it. If you feel you're infected because of other strange behavior then we recommend that you read this articleÖ
https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/new-instructions-read-this-before-posting-for-malware-removal-help-305963.html
follow the instructions very carefully; then, post all the requested logs and information; as instructed, in the https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/ section of the forum.
(Simply, click on the colored links to be re-directed.)

Please ensure that you create a new thread in the https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/Forum; not back here in this one.

When carrying out The Malware Removal Steps, if you cannot complete any of them for whatever reason, just continue on with the next one until they are all completed.
However,it is extremely important to make mention of the fact that you could not complete any of the steps in your post to the https://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/ Forum; where an Analyst will assist you with other workarounds.

Once done, please be patient, as the Security Team Analysts are usually very busy; one of them will answer your request as soon as they can.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Why shouldnít I be worried about a 1 second flash of a CMD when booting Win10 from a USB when it never did that before I checked my webmail account (Outlook) ?

I mean I would be very happy if youíre right, but as I earlier got my router and working pc hacked and also lost the control of my mobile phone, facebook account, mail account, etc. I wonder that this is caused by the same people. Although it might just be some kind of spyware.
MyTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

A lot of computers I've seen have the 1 second Command Prompt flash even from the HD. If you're really worried, let our security team look at it by following the instructions in Post #2

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, these can be difficult to pin down, main causes are scheduled tasks (usually associated with MS office), A poor quality AV (ie:- anything other then windows defender). If it was malicious you would typically have other symptoms such as pop up's or browsing problems.

Go to start search and type :- cmd next press ctrl+ shift+ enter an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy ALL of the below cmd and right click in the CMD prompt window select "paste" press enter.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & wmic logicaldisk where drivetype=3 get Name, Compressed, Description, FreeSpace /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Please attach the notepad output here.

Also from an another elevated cmd prompt, copy this cmd, paste into cmd prompt , press enter.

schtasks /query >$homepath\Tasks.txt > 0 & notepad 0

Please also attach the notepad output here in your response.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
Windows Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
A lot of computers I've seen have the 1 second Command Prompt flash even from the HD.
I can confirm that having command prompt windows appear and then close during the boot process is very common. It's also very common for it to be inconsistent. There are so many factors that influence what's getting CPU cycles depending on exactly what gets kicked off when, that things do not always start up in precisely the same order or with precisely the same timing.

If Windows Security (or your third-party security suite) gives your machine a clean bill of health I would not worry.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote