Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Can't play games on Steam, then Steam won't launch, then restarting causes errors

This is a discussion on Can't play games on Steam, then Steam won't launch, then restarting causes errors within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It happens once every few days or so. I, like most people, always have my PC on. I usually have

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It happens once every few days or so. I, like most people, always have my PC on. I usually have Steam running also. But not always. Every once in a while, I cannot launch a game, for whatever reason. A window will open up saying "Not responding" or something. So I will attempt to restart Steam, and then Steam will not launch. That little window pops up saying "Updating Steam..." then the window goes away, and nothing. I check Task Manager, and there is a process running called "Steam Client Bootstrapper (32bit)" I'll end the process, try to relaunch, same thing happens.

Then, and this is the worst part, I'll go to restart. When attempting to restart, I'll get this screen for about 5 minutes:

https://imgur.com/a/7S1tlFr

Then, after waiting 5 minutes, I get this:

https://imgur.com/a/JWqvazJ

And then the PC restarts. Steam will launch, and I can play my games. No problems for a day or two, I can relaunch Steam, update Steam, restart PC. no issues.... then the problems happen all over again. Been happening for months. A week ago I tried to just reinstall Windows hoping that would help. It didn't. Exact same issue as before.

So my question is, what the heck is going on here? What sort of things can I do to troubleshoot/fix this, because it's getting to be WAY too much of a nuisance. Thank you

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4
Windows 10 Home 64bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What happens if after your done playing your games, that you shut Steam down. Then, much later, without restarting, start Steam again? There just may be something running in the background that doesn't like Steam running.
As a precaution. Download HD Tune, in my signature, not Pro. Go to the Error Scan tab. Run a Full Error Scan on the drive that has Steam. If all of the blocks are Green, the HDD is healthy. If any of the blocks are RED, the HDD is beginning to Fail and should be replaced.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:57 PM   #3
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Try updating the Display Adapter, Network and Sound/Audio driver.

The error indicates an issue with the a driver that interacts with the Power state, typically the Network and the Display adapter drivers are the ones which interact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
What happens if after your done playing your games, that you shut Steam down. Then, much later, without restarting, start Steam again? There just may be something running in the background that doesn't like Steam running.
As a precaution. Download HD Tune, in my signature, not Pro. Go to the Error Scan tab. Run a Full Error Scan on the drive that has Steam. If all of the blocks are Green, the HDD is healthy. If any of the blocks are RED, the HDD is beginning to Fail and should be replaced.
This is an intermittent issue. It just happens... whenever it decides to happen. For example, since I've made this post, it hasn't happened until right now. Every night, I've exited Steam entirely, and then the next day I started Steam. It worked. (NOT Always though, sometimes Steam will not launch at all.) Right now, I'm having the issue where Steam HAS started, and I was playing a game for a while, and now I can't start that same game again. And if I try to restart steam right now, it won't launch.

It's almost like everything works on my PC for a day/two days/three days and then something happens (I have no idea what) and things fail. Causing me to have to restart, and get that DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE error

It's interesting you say having something running in the background. I really don't think it's the root cause, but the only thing I have running in the background is a process called SCPServer which is a program/driver designed to trick your computer into thinking your ps3 controller is an xbox controller. I have this running 24/7 as I always leave my ps3 controller connected. The memory this program uses is next to nothing, the same as having a USB Flash Drive connected and not doing any activity. I really don't think this is the cause, but I just tried something new by trying to "Remove Device" using Settings and it's now stuck on "Removing Device..."

It seems as though when this error happens... All things seem to fail and not want to start/run/work. Not just steam not being able to launch.

I downloaded HD Tune from your link and ran the scan you said to. Every single bar turned green. I actually do not have an HDD installed at the moment. I'm currently using only a Kingston A400 240 GB 2.5" SSD. Got a 1TB HDD for Xmas and haven't installed it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
Try updating the Display Adapter, Network and Sound/Audio driver.

The error indicates an issue with the a driver that interacts with the Power state, typically the Network and the Display adapter drivers are the ones which interact.
I always make sure to go to the ASRock website to update my Network/Sound drivers for my specific motherboard (ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4) here:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Pro4/#Download

And I go to the AMD website to download my drivers/program for my specific Graphics Card / CPU (Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 / AMD Ryzen 3 2200G) here:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graph.../radeon-rx-570

Are these all the drivers I need? Do I need to install something else?
Old 02-10-2020, 04:01 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yep, they should do... I'd recommend to post in the BSOD forums to see if you can grab logs for the BSOD team to analyze and point specifically at the driver file.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

OP did that 2/26/20. Closing this thread.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Closed Thread