Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Backup and Restore

This is a discussion on Backup and Restore within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. "Backup and Restore" makes a reference to "Windows 7." This suggests there is a different way to make drive backups.

Like Tree7Likes

Old 05-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

"Backup and Restore" makes a reference to "Windows 7." This suggests there is a different way to make drive backups. Is there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w10_backup.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	325858  
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

My System

Of course there is, third party backup and restore suites, and that's what Microsoft has been officially recommending you use since Version 1709, when they deprecated the core component of their very old (hence the Windows 7 designation) built-in utility, which was never the best option to begin with:

Microsoft Announcement of Deprecated Features, including SIB [Backup and Restore (Windows 7)]

I certainly wouldn't want to wake up one morning after a Windows Update to find that the utility I'd been using to take backups no longer exists, and eventually that will happen.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

I never used it until I had more than one system to back up. I have a lifetime license for Acronis TrueImage 2018. This is only for one machine. I have a support account with them. I think I will contact them about adding on. I have used it, in several forms, since 2009. It has always done an excellent job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

Acronis is an excellent product but, as you noted, it does not have a free version.

If they will not allow you to get a multi-machine license extension, or the cost is too high, there are scads of alternatives that can be had at no cost provided one is backing up a personal (as in non-business-use) computer.

EaseUS To Do Backup, Paragon, and Macrium Reflect (and plenty of others) have free backup and recovery suites for non-commercial use.

My personal experience is that once you've used one, using any other is pretty much a piece of cake.
storm5510 likes this.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 AM   #5
Registered Member

FYI.
The most current production version on True Image is 2020. A beta test is currently ongoing for TI 2021.
thomasjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Acronis is an excellent product but, as you noted, it does not have a free version.
Acronis has a 30 day trial version you can download for free https://www.acronis.com/en-us/homeco...ue-image-2020/
When you buy a new SSD drive, it usually comes with a link to Acronis True Image version for that manufacturer like the WD Free Edition These versions are limited to one machine use and other restrictions that the paid version does not have.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Acronis has a 30 day trial version you can download for free https://www.acronis.com/en-us/homeco...ue-image-2020/
When you buy a new SSD drive, it usually comes with a link to Acronis True Image version for that manufacturer like the WD Free Edition These versions are limited to one machine use and other restrictions that the paid version does not have.
The Acronis versions that come with various hard drives are also usually several versions down level from the current full version.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

I am just pointing out that there are free versions. To do what the OP wants, he will need to get the most recent paid version.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasjk View Post
The Acronis versions that come with various hard drives are also usually several versions down level from the current full version.
You mean SSDs, not hard drives, right?
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:14 AM   #10
Registered Member

I totally disagree! System Image is the BEST backup in my book. I've been using it for YEARS every week or ten days. I've had to restore an image 4 times in the last 20 years!
PERFECT! I don't care what the "doom and gloom" people say! I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64bit and wouldn't use any thing else!!!!
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:25 AM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I totally disagree! System Image is the BEST backup in my book. I've been using it for YEARS every week or ten days. I've had to restore an image 4 times in the last 20 years!
PERFECT! I don't care what the "doom and gloom" people say! I'm on Windows 10 Pro 64bit and wouldn't use any thing else!!!!
What exactly are you disagreeing with?
Old 05-26-2020, 07:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
You mean SSDs, not hard drives, right?
Acronis has been included with both Hdd's and SSD's. Since the discussion is about an SSD I should have said SSD.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:30 AM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
I think he's saying he believes in the built in Backup & Restore (Windows7) and doesn't need Acronis or others.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
All the comments saying the System Image is inferior to Acronis and every other expensive backup App?
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

I contacted a rep on Acronis' support forum. There is a feature in TrueImage which can be used to create a bootable rescue media on a compact disc. The rep basically said I could use this CD on any machine I wanted to. The OS on the disc is Windows PE. Since I made the one I have on my Windows 10 desktop, it takes on that appearance. On the CD is the backup and restore utilities. I have used it in the past to create hard drive images of other machines on an external USB hard drive. TrueImage is not very good at creating file names so I change them to be unique to each system.

I replied to the rep that there are times when the media CD fails to start properly. They track usage by private IP addresses. It also could be that if it is unable to make an internet connection, it might or would refuse to start. I seem to remember a set of generic network drivers being a part of creating the backup CD, but I am not sure.

I went over everything in the above paragraph in my reply to the rep. Now, I will wait and see what his reply will be.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
All the comments saying the System Image is inferior to Acronis and every other expensive backup App?
Free is not expensive. I've already given a short list of backup and recovery suites that are available at no cost for non-commercial use. There are plenty of others.

Microsoft has deprecated that utility and been advising the use of third party backup and recovery applications since Version 1709. It's not really a suggestion, but a warning.

It is foolish to use a deprecated feature that could be removed at any time. It's not that it doesn't work, it's that it could be removed whenever MS sees fit, and that makes any backups you might have useless since the restore functions will be gone, too.

A word to the wise is sufficient.
xrobwx71 likes this.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #17
Registered Member

My System

The feature in Acronis True Image to make a bootable CD can also make a USB Flash drive. If your CD doesn't work all the time, you will want a USB Flash Drive. Also, most new computers are no longer including CD/DVD drives. CD's can get scratched or other issues. Flash drives can be formatted and re-used.
To best way to create an image file of your system is to do it outside of Windows, so that is why you would want to boot to outside media and not the HDD to run the program to create an image.
Your USB Flash drive or CD can be used on as many computers as you want
Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 AM   #18
Registered Member

My System

After another follow-up message from the Acronis rep, and from my own research, I learned that any Acronis version post-dating the initial release of Windows 10 will not work on a Windows 7 system. End of story. I feel this was a really bad decision on their part. I never had a Windows 10 setup which would run, without issues, until the 19xx series came out. Since, it has been smooth sailing. I completely skipped the 18xx series. I ran Windows 7 Pro x64 on my i7 desktop for 15 months.

I have four computer systems. I have been a contributor to a prime number research project since 2005. This collection consists of three desktops and one laptop. One desktop is the i7 i mentioned which runs Windows 10 Pro x64. The others, two desktops and one laptop, are all older and all run Windows 7 Pro x64. I don't use the laptop much at all. Mostly, it stays in its padded case. I have no backup drivers for this laptop so having a reliable way to restore it, if needed, is important.

With Acronis off-the-table for the Windows 7 systems, I must rely on something else. It has been the built-in backup utility up until now. I had to do a restore on one system several months ago. It worked very well. I tried another backup/restore product called "Paragon" a couple of years ago. It seemed to work alright, but I was not comfortable with it. Currently, they are nearly exclusive to business and database products.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #19
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
After another follow-up message from the Acronis rep, and from my own research, I learned that any Acronis version post-dating the initial release of Windows 10 will not work on a Windows 7 system. End of story. I feel this was a really bad decision on their part. I never had a Windows 10 setup which would run, without issues, until the 19xx series came out. Since, it has been smooth sailing. I completely skipped the 18xx series. I ran Windows 7 Pro x64 on my i7 desktop for 15 months.

I have four computer systems. I have been a contributor to a prime number research project since 2005. This collection consists of three desktops and one laptop. One desktop is the i7 i mentioned which runs Windows 10 Pro x64. The others, two desktops and one laptop, are all older and all run Windows 7 Pro x64. I don't use the laptop much at all. Mostly, it stays in its padded case. I have no backup drivers for this laptop so having a reliable way to restore it, if needed, is important.

With Acronis off-the-table for the Windows 7 systems, I must rely on something else. It has been the built-in backup utility up until now. I had to do a restore on one system several months ago. It worked very well. I tried another backup/restore product called "Paragon" a couple of years ago. It seemed to work alright, but I was not comfortable with it. Currently, they are nearly exclusive to business and database products.
You could try the other free backup utilities on your Windows 7 computers; for example: Macrium Reflect and EaseUs To Do Backup. If the latest versions of those one don't work on Windows 7, you could use their older versions instead, specifically the last versions that supported Windows 7. This is the bane of using an unsupported OS. Over time, more and more software will follow suit and stop supporting abandoned OS.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #20
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I tried another backup/restore product called "Paragon" a couple of years ago. It seemed to work alright, but I was not comfortable with it. Currently, they are nearly exclusive to business and database products.
I can't, and wouldn't, attempt to speak to anyone's comfort level with any given product, as that's entirely a personal thing.

But I will say that you are incorrect about Paragon's target markets. They have produced, and continue to produce, Paragon Backup & Recovery Community Edition, which is free to use for non-commercial use in both Windows and Mac versions.

I like EaseUS To Do Backup best for those who want the simplest user interface (which is a number of my clients), but Paragon Community Edition is up there on my list for those who want more control, along with Macrium Reflect Free.