Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Available disk space is incorrect

This is a discussion on Available disk space is incorrect within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an issue I canít get to the bottom of. I have a 256gb ssd that has just my

Like Tree2Likes

Old 05-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an issue I canít get to the bottom of. I have a 256gb ssd that has just my OS files and a 1 TB HDD for my personal files. Each month, I do a full backup with Macrium on both drives. I always do cleanup before each backup so as not to backup any junk.
Today, I noticed that the used space on my ssd (C:) had doubled since my last backup although I have made few changes since the last backup. I have no window.old, ~BT, or ~WS folders on my c: drive. I ran disk cleanup as admin and there was very little there to cleanup.
To try to find what is causing this issue I opened up the Macrium backup side by side with my C: drive in explorer and compared the sizes of the folders with no marginal difference in size. Therefore, I have surmised that somehow disk space is being shown as used even though it is not. What can cause this and what can I do about it? Or, if Iím thinking wrong here, someone straighten me out. I know this sounds crazy.
glasskuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Try running Disc Cleanup again, this time "Cleanup System Files". Choose all you think are safe.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try WinDirStat to see where the all the space is going and use the CleanUp option.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

I've been trying for days to get to the bottom of this and finally found the solution. Somehow system restore had changed from 10% of disk usage to 100%. As restore points were being made it was eating my disk up. Since I never have been able to get system restore to work in Windows 10 anyway, I turned it off and all is well. Thanks for your responses.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You can turn it back on and limit the disc space used.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:53 AM   #6
Registered Member

Yes, Corday I know. But ever time I have needed system restore on any of the 6 systems I maintain, it never worked right anyway. It has always been hit or miss in Windows 10. I rely on my backups. I was a windows insider for several years and constantly left feedback about it but it's still flaky. I'll probably turn it back on allotting just enough space for a restore point or three, but I don't count on SR like most people do. I feel much safer with my network drive and Macrium backups.

My concern now is how that amount of allotted space got changed to 100% in the first place. One of the first things I do every time I install windows is to make sure it is on and a proper amount of space allotted so I know it has not always been at 100%. But I have found Big Daddy MS is always throwing in such quirks at us.

Thanks for responding. You've helped me more than once since I've been on this board. Wherever you are, stay safe.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

You back up your stuff only once a month? That blows my mind!

Maybe Iím nuts, but I let my backup package start doing its work* every 15 minutes and it bothers me to know that Iím giving the system 14 minutes to make an error that could require a restart and the system would never know about that error. You are giving your system 29 days to make that undetected error!

*I say "start doing its work" because I think what it does at that point is scoot around -- thatís a technical term -- looking for any changes made to the stuff for which itís responsible, and when it finds a change it records it in a to-do list to be acted upon later. Note that the change is recorded, so it will survive a crash that occurs later.
BudVitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudVitoff View Post
Why? I only do full system image backups once per month, with "off cycle" ones if I have generated enough new user data content to justify one, which can happen. If I upload a ton of photos, rip a ton of music and post-process it, etc.

I don't install and uninstall software on a constant basis, and the only thing I'd generally lose is user data. There are months where I just don't create many (if any) new Word Documents, Excel Spreadsheets, or similar.

Backups are necessary only when you have had enough activity since the last one taken where you would not want to, or possibly be able to, generate the work product from that activity again.

Even for most office settings a monthly full system image backup, with incrementals taken nightly until the next full system image is taken, is generally way more than sufficient.

If I were on a system processing hundreds to hundreds of thousands of transactions per hour, I'd consider incrementals every hour, and full system images based on what the processing cycle for transactions is.

Backups are a tool, and one chooses a tool that fits the task. There are widely varying tasks that need to be backed up, and doing unnecessary ones overly frequently serves no one.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasskuter View Post
...My concern now is how that amount of allotted space got changed to 100% in the first place.....
I've found Microsoft is incredibly arrogant, thinking it knows what you REALLY want instead of the setting you input. You humans and your control issues. I say Hah! on your petty requirements.

An Example:
The many years persistent issue of "Turn screen off after XX minutes" is an example. No matter WHAT you set it to, Windows 10 will set it back to 20 minutes. It may do it within seconds or hours of your setting the parameter. I've seen it change the setting from 3 hours to 20 minutes literally in front of my eyes within 60 seconds after I had set it to turn off the display after 3 hours of inactivity. A lot of users have complained as this is a critical setting to those of us who use our computers in lab data acquisition and Microsoft just doesn't care that we select "Never" turn off the display as OUR choice. Behind our backs and without notifying us Windows happily changes it to 20 minutes and goes on about its business.
Sophus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:33 AM   #10
Registered Member

Sophus, I entirely agree with you. It wasn't so bad back in the Windows 7 days but Windows 10 does strange things especially to user settings. I just figure they consider me a dumb chick from the backwoods that needs Big Brother MS to make my decisions for me. Since I have lived to be of a certain age, all the changes has been a tough pill to take, especially not having complete control in how I use my computers. I'm not complaining about Windows 10 per se. I love it. It just irks me that since Windows 10 is now a "service" I sometimes think that my computers aren't mine anymore. It applies to some of the software I use, too. Changes come down the pike to things what weren't broken in the first place. Then, other things that have needed changing for a long time never get any attention. Go figure.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:01 AM   #11
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...edback-hub-app

Old 05-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #12
Windows Tech Team

My System

If you are having settings like those described "automagically" change, it isn't Windows that's changing them. Period, end of sentence.

I maintain a lot of machines, now under Windows 10, and previously under Windows 7, and once screen timeout, for instance, is set it stays. It has stayed through multiple Feature Updates.

One of the worst things about the early versions of Windows 10 were that they would, almost invariably, reset a number of user selectable settings back to MS's defaults at each and every Feature Update, sometimes at cumulative updates. I haven't had that happening in several years.

One good example of this is that I turned Cortana off (personal digital assistant functions, not the part that did Windows Search) and Fast Startup both years ago, along with changing my screen timeouts. I've done this on virtually every machine I touch, unless someone wants Cortana (and before it became necessary to do a registry hack to do it), and to a machine these have stuck.

I won't say that a setting getting changed back never happens, because there's virtually nothing that truly never happens. But it is not a common occurrence, and hasn't been under Windows 10 for a long time now.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #13
Registered Member

Come to think of it, you are exactly right Brian. I used to change the device installation

settings to off, i.e., Windows Update downloading and installing drivers. In the past it

would revert back to on every time Windows did a feature update but now, I can't recall

the last time I've had to turn it off it's been so long.
xrobwx71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:

Maybe Iím nuts, but I let my backup package start doing its work* every 15 minutes and it bothers me to know that Iím giving the system 14 minutes to make an error that could require a restart and the system would never know about that error. You are giving your system 29 days to make that undetected error!

*I say "start doing its work" because I think what it does at that point is scoot around -- thatís a technical term -- looking for any changes made to the stuff for which itís responsible, and when it finds a change it records it in a to-do list to be acted upon later. Note that the change is recorded, so it will survive a crash that occurs later.
What?????????
jonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:29 AM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
What?????????
Exactly! It is nuts!
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Exactly! It is nuts!
I have had friends over the years ask me computer questions that I am not sure how they even thought up these ideas. Almost as bad as just a "word salad" that was thrown together for me to answer.

As a matter of fact, I still get those word salad questions.
jonnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:35 PM   #17
Registered Member

Were those "nuts" and "what" posts directed to me?

Was it something I said?
BudVitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:10 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Were those "nuts" and "what" posts directed to me?

Was it something I said?
Just read all replies after your previous one, you'll get the answer.
BudVitoff likes this.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:36 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What everyone is amazed about is that you are backing up every 15 minutes.
Your computer doesn't change that much in 15 minutes, it may not even change that much in 8 hour day or a week.
Every 15 minutes all that has changed on your computer are a couple of cookies from web sites you visited. Doing an incremental backup at this point is a waste of disk space and time. Unless you are installing new Programs, Software, Hardware or Major Windows Updates, there is no need to backup. unless one or all of those things just happened
But if you got the time patience and the disk space, have at it.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:00 AM   #20
Registered Member

I do a system image every week or 10 days. I have considered other backups but, for me, System Image is the bees knees.... I've had to restore an Image 4 times in my forty years of using Desktop PCs.... I turn off ALL System restores! :)
Oh! I do delete my Images regularly - I have about 60 terrabytes of RAIDed HDDs :)
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote