Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Audio crackles when volume changes

This is a discussion on Audio crackles when volume changes within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The audio on my computer crackles when ever the volume changes. I was hearing popping sometimes and I tested this

Old 05-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

The audio on my computer crackles when ever the volume changes. I was hearing popping sometimes and I tested this problem by playing a youtube video that played a constant pitch and moving the volume up and down. This would cause constant crackling. So whenever audio changes volume normally (which is pretty much all the time), a popping sound is heard. My operating system is Windows 10.

I have attempted the following solutions with no change:
  • I played audio from multiple sources such as browsers, games, iTunes and raw audio files
  • I plugged in different types of headphones (wired over ear headphones, normal ear buds, wireless headphones)
  • I tried different input types (auxiliary, usb)
  • I tried multiple input ports on my computer (aux and usb on my case, aux and usb on my motherboard)
  • I plugged in all of my headphones to other sources and the problem was not present
  • I reinstalled my drivers for all audio devices
  • I disabled all enhancements on my headphones
  • I tried different sample rates and bit depths
  • I unchecked "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"
  • I lowered the master volume
  • I ran Windows in safe mode
source256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

What is the make and model number of the computer?
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
What is the make and model number of the computer?
I built it myself. Here are the specs:

Case: Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming PC Computer Case
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.20GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB)
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME Z270-A (LGA1151)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Storage: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

<puzzled> What are you using to increase and decrease the volume? Is it a hardware knob/slider or software?
Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
<puzzled> What are you using to increase and decrease the volume? Is it a hardware knob/slider or software?
Ok by "increase and decrease volume" I mean whenever a sound increases and decreases naturally which is pretty much all the time because that's how sound works. I tested this by playing a constant pitch like the one in this video
and moving the youtube volume slider up and down. When I change the volume like that, it causes constant crackling. When I listen to audio normally, it crackles variably.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Same problem when booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?
A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.
Now open Youtube in a browser and do some testing.

When you're done, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is probably hardware related, (certainly not Windows or software running within Windows).
Old 05-20-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Same problem when booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB?
A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or Rufus to burn to a USB flash drive/key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.
Now open Youtube in a browser and do some testing.

When you're done, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive/SSD like you do now.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is probably hardware related, (certainly not Windows or software running within Windows).
I tried it on a virtual machine and usb os and the problem was still present. It is not related to the OS but what I don't understand is that the problem persists no matter what input I use or device. If I use the aux ports or usb microphone the problem still remains. I don't know why it would happen on all ports.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Sounds like flaky/failing integrated audio, (or audio adapter if applicable). You could test that theory a little external USB-to-Audio sound card, like one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=usb+to+...b_sb_ss_i_5_12 If the problem goes away, you'd know for sure.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like flaky/failing integrated audio, (or audio adapter if applicable). You could test that theory a little external USB-to-Audio sound card, like one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=usb+to+...b_sb_ss_i_5_12 If the problem goes away, you'd know for sure.
I have one of those and used one in my testing and the problem was still present. That is why I am so confused I don't understand the source of the issue. It could be hardware related but having an external sound card not work as well as usb and aux connections doesn't make sense.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

That would lead one to believe the problem might be the device you are using to hear the sound. Does that device that you are using to hear the sound, produce the same static issue when plugged into a different source?