Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key on login

This is a discussion on Asking for BitLocker Recovery Key on login within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Here are instructions on how to turn Bit Locker off, scroll down near the bottom. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html

Boot into Setup (Bios) Turn off Secure Boot. Under the Security tab, You should see UEFI Bios, change it or Add Legacy Boot. Put your USB Flash Windows Installer drive in Save and Exit. Boot Back into the Bios. Go to the Boot Tab. Your USB Flash drive should now be one of the Legacy Boot devices. Move this to First Boot Device. Save and Exit.
The Windows installer should now start Choose your Language then Custom Install. Delete all partitions so the whole drive is Unallocated Space and go Next. Windows will create partitions and format them during the install.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

The problem is that I can't disable Bitlocker because I can't login into my PC now. Bitlocker is preventing me from accessing without recovery key.

Now, I want to install Windows/Ubuntu using a bootable USB drive, but it's not letting me do that. I turned off the Secure boot as you suggested. But I don't see UEFI Bios or Legacy boot. A snapshot of Security tab is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	security.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	319050   Click image for larger version

Name:	sbd.jpeg
Views:	87
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	319054  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to the Boot tab in the Bios, what does it say?
If you need to, you can turn Bit Locker off in the Command Prompt if you read the link in Post #2.
You need to Boot off of the Windows installer Choose your Language, and then press Shift+F10 to enter the Command Prompt.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you so much for helping me figure this out.

The actual issue was that I was using 64-bit installer, whereas my laptop only supports 32-bit. That's why I was not able to get past BIOS and it was always landing me on bitlocker screen.

With 32-bit installer, I am now able to install Windows. Thank you so much!

BTW I tried to disable bitlocker from command prompt but it didn't work :-(. Although it's not an issue now, since I'm cleaning the existing windows and installing new one.

Thanks again :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cmdbl.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	319074  
Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

All computers motherboards and processors built since the mid 2000's supports 64Bit Windows OS. If you have less the 4GB of RAM it is suggested to install Windows 32bit.
You might have a problem with the 64bit installer. Or your motherboard is way older.