Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

AMD Graphics Drive and Windows 10 causing freezing

This is a discussion on AMD Graphics Drive and Windows 10 causing freezing within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My old laptop has been consistently freezing every 2-3 seconds. I have updated windows fully, done rescue scans for malware,

Old 04-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pin

My old laptop has been consistently freezing every 2-3 seconds. I have updated windows fully, done rescue scans for malware, and driver updates. None of those have prevented the freezing. I found a post on a Microsoft forum that freezing can happen between Windows 10 and Raedon Drivers, so I disabled my graphics driver (AMD Raedon R4 graphics) and the freezing stopped! But, now I can't play games like Minecraft, it says I need a graphics driver, so I went to the AMD website and downloaded the most recent graphics driver update and it brought back the freezing! I also tried downloading the oldest version for the graphics driver on windows 10 and it did the same thing! I also tried a graphics driver version between the two. I need help, I need the freezing to stop and I also need a graphics driver.

It's driving me mad
brady925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 02:27 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model # of your laptop?
You can go to the Manufacturers Download Drivers site, and type in your Make and Model# If it is an Old laptop as you say, it probably only has drivers for Windows 8 or 7. You can download the older OS driver, extract the driver to your C: drive, open the driver folder, right click Setup.exe and choose Properties/Compatibility. Make the driver compatible with that version of Windows. Put a check in the box to Run As Administrator, Apply and OK, double click Setup.exe to run the driver. Good Luck
Old 04-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Flex 2-15D Laptop (Lenovo) - Type 80EF
Machine Type Model:80EF59441903

I will try what you suggested and get back to you before the end of the day, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to the Lenovo site for your model and download the AMD VGA driver
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/p...deo%20Graphics
Old 04-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
And if that doesn't fix the issue, I suggest you go to AMD's Support Page, look toward the bottom left for the section entitled, Auto-Detect and Install Radeon™ Graphics Drivers for Windows, and download and run said software.

I have yet to experience it selecting an incompatible driver under Windows 7 or Windows 10 for any Radeon Graphics version. If you are still having issues with freezing after that, I recommend looking at Britechguy’s Standard “Windows 10 Revival Script”, and starting at the step numbered one that talks about using SFC & DISM to repair Windows 10. If that doesn't work then I would move on to a Repair Install using the ISO, which is step number two. And I'd do these things in the order I've mentioned them. I'd want the latest AMD driver before doing any of the repair steps.
britechguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
I don't understand how, but it's fixed it! I cant believe it. I can't thank you enough! It's been a little while but if anything changes or if it comes back I will come straight to you. Thanks so much SpunkFunk.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Great why not mark this solved in the first post under "Thread Tools" in the first post.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You are most welcome! I'm glad you got it sorted!
Downloading the original driver that was specifically written for the device from the computer manufacturer is always the best decision.