Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Adding a new sound card in place of onboard

This is a discussion on Adding a new sound card in place of onboard within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Go into the TV's Menu. There is a setting for Audio. (check your manual) See if that has a setting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #21
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 40,641
OS: Windows 10 64 bit

My System


Go into the TV's Menu. There is a setting for Audio. (check your manual) See if that has a setting for sound from HDMI or some such.
Ordering a Sound Card for your computer is a good idea, but you need a set of powered speakers to play sound out of your computer unless you are using an HDMI to TV setup, Which will not go thru your new Sound Card
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-24-2020, 05:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



I went into the TV Menu then to Sound.... There are options for Bass, Balance, PCM, SPDIF etc but nothing for HDMI etc. There was a section for HDMI but it only had CEC and 4K settings. But remember, worked for 5 years then slowly DIED - not changes were made to settings etc....
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 28
OS: Win 10 pro



Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
I went into the TV Menu then to Sound.... There are options for Bass, Balance, PCM, SPDIF etc but nothing for HDMI etc. There was a section for HDMI but it only had CEC and 4K settings. But remember, worked for 5 years then slowly DIED - not changes were made to settings etc....
Hello louwin, I may be able to help.
Since you have already purchased a sound card which one did you get? Does it have SPDIF out? If it doesn't let me know the make and model of your TV along with your sound card and I can tell if it will work and what is your best option.

As far as not installing the sound card and trying to get the onboard sound to work.
First, have you tried the "troubleshoot sound problems"? If not right click on your speaker icon on the toolbar and select that option and follow the prompts.
You might also check to ensure all the cables inside the computer are connected properly. This also includes checking to make sure your video card is properly connected (unless you are using video directly from the MB). Also check your HDMI cable and make sure that it's connected properly on both ends. One thing is your HDMI cable may only be bad enough to where it transmits video just fine but not audio, I'd try replacing that with a new one cause you never know.
Madmaxneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



Hi Madmaxneo, Thanks for your reply.
Just a cheap one off Amazon and no it doesn't have SPDIF. This is it....
"A ADWITS PCIe 3D Stereo Sound Card with CMedia CMI8738 Audio Chip,PCI Expresss 1x to 5.1CH Internal Sound Card for Windows XP Vista 7/8 / 10/2000, Black"
Yes, I've tried EVERYTHING. And I have also tried a different HDMI cable to a different port on the TV.... HDMI1 to HDMI3 and back to HDMI1. Onboard graphics AND sound.....
I'm fairly resigned to using external speaker(s?) when the sound card comes.... I will try my Bluetooth earphones and speakers as I am attracted to the wireless facility. Hopefully I will just upgrade to a new desktop in the future. My current 6 year old desktop was top of the range and things haven't got much better or faster so I hesitate. Especially since the modern cases (and motherboards) don't support all the HDDs (internal and external) I have. :)
And yes i've done all the tests etc with no success. My sound processor is DEAD! :(
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:40 AM   #25
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 28
OS: Win 10 pro



Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
Hi Madmaxneo, Thanks for your reply.
Just a cheap one off Amazon and no it doesn't have SPDIF. This is it....
"A ADWITS PCIe 3D Stereo Sound Card with CMedia CMI8738 Audio Chip,PCI Expresss 1x to 5.1CH Internal Sound Card for Windows XP Vista 7/8 / 10/2000, Black"
Yes, I've tried EVERYTHING. And I have also tried a different HDMI cable to a different port on the TV.... HDMI1 to HDMI3 and back to HDMI1. Onboard graphics AND sound.....
I'm fairly resigned to using external speaker(s?) when the sound card comes.... I will try my Bluetooth earphones and speakers as I am attracted to the wireless facility. Hopefully I will just upgrade to a new desktop in the future. My current 6 year old desktop was top of the range and things haven't got much better or faster so I hesitate. Especially since the modern cases (and motherboards) don't support all the HDDs (internal and external) I have. :)
And yes i've done all the tests etc with no success. My sound processor is DEAD! :(
My current system was top of the line in 2014. I built it and it is an i7 4930k on an Asus Rampage IV Black Ed MB. It still kicks some serious *** today but I am upgrading here soon. Everything on it works pretty decently (except for one minor issue which is why I am upgrading).

A couple of things it looks like you missed:

1. What TV make and model do you have?

2. Did you try the "troubleshoot sound problems"? If not right click on your speaker icon on the toolbar and select that option and follow the prompts. If there is an issue within the software or hardware the troubleshooter will find it. If it doesn't find an issue then it is probably not the sound device itself or the driver.

I had an issue a while back that is somewhat similar to yours, but I also have a sound card installed so my troubleshooting and resolution was completely different.

3. Another thing you may try is going into the properties where you have the sound card selected as the default device and make sure you have "Use this device" selected.
Madmaxneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 40,641
OS: Windows 10 64 bit

My System


Quote:
I'm fairly resigned to using external speaker(s?)
If you use Speakers, you probably can use your onboard sound. Not for the TV, but for the computer.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #27
Troubled
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mandurah Western Australia
Posts: 18
OS: Win 10 64bit

My System


What about using SPDIF from the computer to a DAC to the TV? You can buy a DAC on the bay for around $30 to $50. The signal from your computer will come out of the DAC as analog stereo on two RCA plugs or 3.5mm plug, some have optical.
Fred Knurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post
Did you try the "troubleshoot sound problems"?
Yes I've tried EVERYTHING 5 or 6 times in all combinations.

I've tried speakers, earphones, USB sound devices into various sound plugs into my desktop. I've tried Bluetooth speakers(4 different ones), earphones(2 sets)... etc I've come to the enescapeable conclusion my onboard sound processor is DEAD!!!! That's why I'm now pursueing the separate sound card solution. I wanted to see if there was anyway I could get the separate sound card to send the audio on the HDMI connection to the 4K 49inch TV that I use as a monitor.... Am now accepting I will have to use external speakers. Am awaiting a sound card from Amazon....
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
If you use Speakers, you probably can use your onboard sound. Not for the TV, but for the computer.
No, I don't use speakers at the moment. I never have except as a test. I wanted to try to use the TV speakers hence the question if I could somehow route the sound card audio to the TV speakers?
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:32 PM   #30
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Knurke View Post
What about using SPDIF from the computer to a DAC to the TV? You can buy a DAC on the bay for around $30 to $50. The signal from your computer will come out of the DAC as analog stereo on two RCA plugs or 3.5mm plug, some have optical.
AFAIK there is NO setting on my TV/monitor to take video from my onboard graphics card through HDMI and sound from another source. I can take video via HDMI and sound to external speaker(s) but not video from graphics and sound from card to TV/monitor....
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:31 PM   #31
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator
 
Stancestans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,285
OS: Windows 10



What's the tv's make and model?
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #32
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 28
OS: Win 10 pro



Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
Yes I've tried EVERYTHING 5 or 6 times in all combinations.

I've tried speakers, earphones, USB sound devices into various sound plugs into my desktop. I've tried Bluetooth speakers(4 different ones), earphones(2 sets)... etc I've come to the enescapeable conclusion my onboard sound processor is DEAD!!!! That's why I'm now pursueing the separate sound card solution. I wanted to see if there was anyway I could get the separate sound card to send the audio on the HDMI connection to the 4K 49inch TV that I use as a monitor.... Am now accepting I will have to use external speakers. Am awaiting a sound card from Amazon....
I didn't ask if you tried different sound devices. I asked if you tried the "sound troubleshooter" option in windows. Trying different sound devices (like you mention above) is not going to help at all if you have an issue in your system. I can only assume you haven't tried this so I will post instructions on how to do it.

Please try the following:
1. Right click on the speaker icon on your toolbar
2. Click on "Troubleshoot sound problems"
3. Click on "Intel Display Audio", or the proper name of the device you are trying to get sound out of.
4. Click "Next" and wait/follow the prompts.
5. Update us on the results.

EDIT: Do you have more than one HDMI output on your computer?
Madmaxneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



Yes, I have done this a number of times but included it FYI....

Audio services not responding...... ALL "Issues not present"

Only one HDMI on desktop - 4 on TV

The TV is a Kogan 49" 4K TV, don't know the model....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Audio services not responding.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	325882  
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
What's the tv's make and model?
Found the model.... :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KALED49UHDUA-A Kogan 49 inch TV.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	325884  
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:24 AM   #35
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 40,641
OS: Windows 10 64 bit

My System


Quote:
Audio services not responding.
Press the Windows key+R in the Run box type
Services.msc and press Enter. Scroll down to the Windows Audio service and double click it. Make sure the service is Started and set to Automatic
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:46 AM   #36
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



Done this a few times before but did it again to conform to your suggestion

The Windows Audio is "Running" & "Automatic".... Is this good enough?

I DID a "Troubleshoot" Before and After still "Audio services not responding" and all details as previous posting....
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:46 AM   #37
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Western Australia 6004
Posts: 48
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit



The sound card arrived! Loaded the driver and powered up - All working so this thread is now moot....
Thanks for your help
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #38
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 40,641
OS: Windows 10 64 bit

My System


Glad you got it sorted! please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top
Attached Images
 
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is on
Smilies are on
[IMG] code is on
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Post a Question


» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
  > 10.0.0.2
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2001 - 2018, Tech Support Forum

Windows 10 - Windows 7 - Windows XP - Windows Vista - Trojan Removal - Spyware Removal - Virus Removal - Networking - Security - Top Web Hosts