Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

Access denied on critical functions

This is a discussion on Access denied on critical functions within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. 2 days ago I started having issues where I get "you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #1
Registered Member

2 days ago I started having issues where I get "you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item, access denied" when trying to change owners or edit groups in properties of files, then I couldn't open task manager/cmd prompt/regedit/msconfig/UAC.

However these all work in Safe mode so i don't know whats running that's blocking access. sfc gives nothig. How to fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 12:21 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Try disabling the AV/Internet Security software and check if you're able to access the items.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:33 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Settings/Accounts/Family and Other Users/Add Someone else to this PC. Choose I don't have this users info. The Add a user without a Microsoft Account. Change it to an Admin account. Sign out as you, and sign in as the new user. If that works and you can get to everything, then your old account is corrupted.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 06:23 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team

My System

And if account profile corruption does not seem to be the root cause, then see: Britechguy’s Standard “Windows 10 Revival Script” at the top of this very forum.
Old 03-06-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristar View Post
Try disabling the AV/Internet Security software and check if you're able to access the items.
Only have defender, deleted rest. problem still prevalent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Go to Settings/Accounts/Family and Other Users/Add Someone else to this PC. Choose I don't have this users info. The Add a user without a Microsoft Account. Change it to an Admin account. Sign out as you, and sign in as the new user. If that works and you can get to everything, then your old account is corrupted.
I tried this except got error "something went wrong"
Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
And if account profile corruption does not seem to be the root cause, then see: Britechguy’s Standard “Windows 10 Revival Script” at the top of this very forum.
I cant run anything downloaded because it gives permission denied error and don't have an 8gb USB.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
Can this be done on another acc/hidden admin, will recovery apply to whole system or just the account it was downloaded from?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, this is not a fix just tells us what the current situation is, from this we may be able to apply a fix.

Open a cmd prompt as admin and copy paste these two cmds:-

net user %USERNAME% > 0 & notepad 0

icacls c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc > 0 & notepad 0

Please copy paste the notepad outputs here.