Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 10 Support

User Tag List

100% Disk Usage

This is a discussion on 100% Disk Usage within the Windows 10 Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. I upgraded recently to Windows 10. I don't know it this has anything to do with my problem

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there.
I upgraded recently to Windows 10. I don't know it this has anything to do with my problem or not. I hope you folks can tell me.

I run lots of large file for my hobby, Photography, which I've noticed is slowing my PC down to a walking pace.
My photos are one drive E. When I use Task Manager to check, it shows a usage of 100% on drive E while I access my photos.

I've tried compressing and defragging the drive.
Does anyone know why this should happen and what I can do about it?

See attached image
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

What size is your E drive? Is it a physical hard drive or just a partition?

Windows needs at least 15% free space to run efficiently.

Have you tried moving some of your files to another drive/partition and defragging?
Old 01-11-2016, 07:00 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Also - compressing is the last thing you should do - out of desperation! Photo's already use a compressed format. Compression will need to be undone but wait until we've had time to get more details from you.

When a drive is being used, such as when you open/save/paste a file, the Resource Manager in Windows will allow the software to use all the available speed of the drive - this can show as 100%. Check the details of Disk 2 and see what the transfer speed (KB/sec, MB/sec) and Queue length is (~ how many read/write orders are waiting to be executed) at the time you see 100% in TaskMan.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for replying. To answer you guys.
It's a 2Tb physical drive with only 244Gb used.
These file aren't compressed as they are RAW files (.CR2)
When I realised compression wasn't working I undid the compression.

Check the details of Disk 2 and see..................
Don't know how to do that !!
Old 01-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

In task manager under the Performance tab, down the bottom is "Open Resource Monitor"
Under Disk Activity will be a list of processes that are currently using that drive (E:/$This file). Look at the Read/Write column to find out what process is using the HDD.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:30 AM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks Aus.
I've done that and the answer is:
System
Explorer
DDLhost
DDL takes over and by far uses the most.
The que length seems to sit a 5 most of the time, but has hit 10.
I've done this a number of times now. What I've noticed is that more than one DDL can be running. DDLHOST.EXE
Old 01-12-2016, 04:29 AM   #7
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

I think DDLHost is part of, or loads the Thumbnail cache service. As you have quite a few large RAW images windows is generating a low quality jpeg for previewing (located in thumb.db as a hidden file).
This is probably whats taking up so much Disk Access.
I'll have a look on the net to see if theres anyway to control Thumbnail generation by limiting it access to that HDD. As far as i know you can only enable/disable it.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

That would be great thanks. There may be a problem doing that though. You can only see RAW files by using thumbnails, I think.
Closed Thread