Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Wuhan Virus

This is a discussion on Wuhan Virus within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have it on good authority that it is NOT a man made virus, or weaponized, its all natural Now

Old 03-23-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
Automotive Team

I have it on good authority that it is NOT a man made virus, or weaponized, its all natural

Now thinking that mother nature can do something like that is scarier than a terrorist attack if you really really think hard about it and understand the implications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

There have been plenty of plagues through out history, the greatest advantage we have now is that we have knowledge and ability to control the spread.
We still have stupid people who spend summer break mingling with crowds, but for the most part people understand the problem and take steps to mitigate it.
kendallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post
Now thinking that mother nature can do something like that is scarier than a terrorist attack if you really really think hard about it and understand the implications
'Twas ever thus!

Novel pathogens can pop-up "out of nowhere" with ease, and we've seen a number of them within all of our lifetimes. Think HIV, Ebola, SARS, and more. Those previously listed did not become pandemics either because of method of transmission being "difficult" compared to something like, say, measles or COVID-19, and/or because prompt containment methods went into effect.

For those who have Netflix, there is a great short documentary series called Explained. One of the episodes is about pandemics, and the risk of same, and was produced at least a year or more before the advent of COVID-19. Those in the know had concerns about the sudden appearance of a highly transmissible novel pathogen created by Mother Nature long before now.
britechguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #4
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by britechguy View Post
'Twas ever thus!

Novel pathogens can pop-up "out of nowhere" with ease, and we've seen a number of them within all of our lifetimes................................ Those in the know had concerns about the sudden appearance of a highly transmissible novel pathogen created by Mother Nature long before now.

Uj huh. we vaccinated cattle against the corona virus back in the 70's I know, I was a teenager handing the syringes full of it to my dad after i filled them out of the bottle, so guess how long I've known about it, I asked my dad once " what would happen if the corona virus crossed from the cattle to humans" He said'....'we'd all die" at school in 10th grade that following Monday I asked Jim Adams, the smartest person (to this day) that I knew the same question HE said " we'd all die" so............................
Old 03-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
Windows Tech Team

My System

"We'd all die," is a gross overstatement, to say the least.

The hard data we already have puts lie to that assertion. Also, coronaviruses as a class are far from novel. There have been a number of them that infect humans. It's that this one is novel, and in the way that it appears the vast majority of human immune systems do not recognize as a threat upon infection. But the vast majority of those infected do not die, even of COVID-19.
Old 03-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Automotive Team

Quote:
"We'd all die," is a gross overstatement, to say the least.

The hard data we already have puts lie to that assertion. Also, coronaviruses as a class are far from novel. There have been a number of them that infect humans. It's that this one is novel, and in the way that it appears the vast majority of human immune systems do not recognize as a threat upon infection. But the vast majority of those infected do not die, even of COVID-19.

Yea, but back then in Arkansas people were scared to death that a virus would cross over to humans
Old 03-24-2020, 01:59 PM   #7
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Yea, but back then in Arkansas people were scared to death that a virus would cross over to humans
And people were just as wrong for jumping to unjustified conclusions "back then" as they are now.

There's plenty of data available on this sort of thing, and a lot of it is not new.

I am just to the point where I think I am going to have an aneurysm if we continue along the path of believing "the truth is what I say it is if I repeat it enough," and formulating public policy on hunches and opinions of those who have absolutely no expertise in the fields that policy is being formulated for.

For any one of us, there are many, many people who "know better than you do" about a wide range of topics. Respect for subject matter expertise, and the realization that common sense very rarely is either, needs to come back into public life. It's been systematically pushed out for approximately 50 years now.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #8
Automotive Team

The truth is the truth, NOT what somebody says, you can however change the truth just as easily as you can change history, start the lie in kindergarten and teach it through college, Kinda like the entire generation we have now that believes all the facebook stuff
Old 03-24-2020, 02:14 PM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Source: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coronavirus
Quote:
Definition of coronavirus

1: any of a family (Coronaviridae) of single-stranded RNA viruses that have a lipid envelope studded with club-shaped projections, infect birds and many mammals including humans, and include the causative agents of MERS, SARS, and COVID-19Coronaviruses can cause a variety of illnesses in animals, but in people coronaviruses cause one-third of common colds and sometimes respiratory infections in premature infants.— Rob Stein… in 2003 a previously unknown coronavirus caused an outbreak of SARS in humans.— Ali Moh Zaki et al.

2: an illness caused by a coronavirusespecially : COVID-19Italy has seen the most coronavirus cases in Europe, with more than 2,000 people ill and 76 deaths associated with COVID-19.Dayton (Ohio) Daily News

...continues...
SpywareDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
Windows Tech Team

My System

Quote:
The truth is the truth, NOT what somebody says, you can however change the truth just as easily as you can change history, start the lie in kindergarten and teach it through college, Kinda like the entire generation we have now that believes all the facebook stuff
You do realize that what you've said is a tautology.

You cannot change the truth. What you can change is public perception and belief, but that is done by distorting or ignoring the truth (at least in this instance).

I get what you're saying, but you can't say it in the way that you did and have it hold water.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
Automotive Team

Quote:
You do realize that what you've said is a tautology.

You cannot change the truth. What you can change is public perception and belief, but that is done by distorting or ignoring the truth (at least in this instance).

I get what you're saying, but you can't say it in the way that you did and have it hold water.

that is what I was referring to, the public perception, BUT teaching a lie from the start makes an entire generation believe it to be true, just as rewriting history and making one section of people bad, and one good where in reality one was good and one was bad, can change the entire way of thinking
It has been proven several times in my lifetime