Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Why Keystone XL pipeline won't buy US steel, despite Trump's order

This is a discussion on Why Keystone XL pipeline won't buy US steel, despite Trump's order within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. From the start of President Trump’s election campaign, two aspects of his political identity –*the businessman and the populist –*have

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
From the start of President Trump’s election campaign, two aspects of his political identity –*the businessman and the populist –*have dueled for dominance. At least in the case of the Keystone XL pipeline, the businessman appears to be winning out.

Speaking to reporters onboard Air Force One on Friday, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said that the pipeline, which has been in the works for a decade, will be exempt from an executive order Mr. Trump signed in January requiring new pipelines, repairs, or retrofits to use US steel “to the maximum extent possible.” The justification for that decision: The pipeline is already under construction, and so is not covered by the executive order.

“The Keystone XL Pipeline is currently in the process of being constructed, so it does not count as a new, retrofitted, repaired, or expanded pipeline,” Ms. Sanders said.
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...el-in-keystone

"When I said they would be required to use American Steel, I meant steel that was in America . . "

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I read that the other day. Don't know how much pipe they have stocked-piled but any new pipe, after stocks are depleted, should be US made. If not it's business as usual......and I'm sure our supreme leader will have an excuse.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
TransCanada Corp, Canada's No.2 pipeline operator, will make a final investment decision on its Keystone XL project by December, the company said on Friday as it reported a better-than-expected profit.

The December timeline is the first time the company has publicly set a deadline about making an investment decision for the project since U.S. President Donald Trump approved Keystone XL in March, reversing a decision by Barack Obama.

The investment decision will be based on shipper demand and a regulatory outcome from the U.S. state of Nebraska, through which the project passes, Paul Miller, executive vice president and president of liquid pipeline at TransCanada, said in a conference call after the release of quarterly results.

"Our assessment of these factors will really drive our investment decision when we get into that November-December time frame," he said.

While TransCanada has "good support" from existing shippers, including those who departed after Keystone XL's 2015 rejection, it is seeking new entrants and wants a "significant" level of commitment, Miller said, without specifying precise figures.

TransCanada launched an open season on Thursday for additional commitments for Keystone XL. The expansion increases the capacity of the current Keystone system from Canada's oil-producing Alberta province to the Gulf of Mexico.
TransCanada seeks additional commitments on Keystone pipeline system | Reuters

First Trump gives them an exemption to use foreign steel, now they might not follow thru . . seems the earth shaking project was something less than that!

Closed Thread