Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

What happens to Windows 7 on October 31, 2014?

This is a discussion on What happens to Windows 7 on October 31, 2014? within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Summary: Microsoft is approaching the next cut-off date in Windows 7's lifecycle next month. Here's what is and isn't happening

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
Summary: Microsoft is approaching the next cut-off date in Windows 7's lifecycle next month. Here's what is and isn't happening after October 31, 2014.

I've gotten a few questions from concerned readers about a fast-approaching deadline date for Windows 7.

After October 31, 2014 -- Microsoft will no longer provide its PC partners or systems builders with copies of Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium and/or Ultimate to preinstall on new PCs. This means that OEMs will be able to continue to sell their stock of PCs running these versions of Windows 7, but they won't be allowed to replenish their supply.

(Last year, on October 31, Microsoft ceased selling shrink-wrapped copies of Windows 7 at retail.)

That looming October 31, 2014 deadline does not apply to PCs preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional, however. Microsoft officials said again this week they still have not yet gone public with the end of sales cut-off date for PCs running Windows 7 Pro. That lack of a firm cut-off date is a good thing for business users who are still leery of Windows 8 and waiting to hear more about Windows Threshold/Windows 9 before committing to buying PCs with those versions of Windows preinstalled.
What happens to Windows 7 on October 31, 2014? | ZDNet

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

What I dislike so much - that Microsoft has so much Control.....
Old 09-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsbms29 View Post
What I dislike so much - that Microsoft has so much Control.....
then give linux a try :-) Microsoft is only in control if you give them control
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

good idea - even though I really do like Windows & Office.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Support Visiting Expert
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

No, Microsoft isn't killing Windows 7 on October 31st 2014

Quote:
Despite what many will have you believe, nothing bad is going to happen to your computer on October 31st. Your Windows 7 machine will boot just fine and continue to receive timely updates from Microsoft. So what exactly is this October 31st hoopla all about?
On October 31st, Microsoft will stop providing its hardware partners (HP, Dell, Samsung, Lenovo etc) copies of Windows 7 (all popular consumer editions). This isnít something you, as a consumer, should be concerned about. This concerns OEMs, who will have to ship their computers with either Windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 Update, or some other operating system.
No, Microsoft isn't killing Windows 7 on October 31st 2014

MVP January 2013 to end December 2016
Microsoft Community Contributor
Windows Insider MVP July 2016 to end June 2017

Old 10-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I am so glad my new laptop has Windows 7.......

But I may need to buy a Windows 7 Professional CD
Closed Thread