Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Voter Fraud

This is a discussion on Voter Fraud within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. If there is any doubt why the requirement to show ID can intimidated minorities: Indiana family alleges excessive force at

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

If there is any doubt why the requirement to show ID can intimidated minorities:

Indiana family alleges excessive force at police stop - CNN.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

Refusing a lawful order from a police officer, he is lucky they did not use a Taser on him.

I got no problem showing an ID when voting, neither does my wife and she is part American Indian and she looks like it too.

Get over it.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

They did use the taser . . Demanded identification, they did that when he reached for it.

It ain't over

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Then there is this

SC Trooper Charged After Asking To See Man's Driver's License, Then Shooting Him As He Reached For It - Bearing Arms

Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

I have no problems with voter ID either. Besides it makes it faster getting in and out of the polling place. The person who has to look up your name don't have to ask for spelling or ask several times because you are not speaking clearly.

as far as the traffic stop, I believe there should be a mandatory drivers training course on dealing with police officers. There have been too many police officers shot lately because of simple traffic stops and they getting too jumpy.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

But do you live in a state where intimidation of minority voters is a rich tradition and the state pastime??

Hell . . not too long ago, we had some tightie whities complaining that the mere presence of four black men near the entrance to a voting placed was intimidating.

If prevention of voter fraud was the real reason, Texas ( Or any other state ) could easily add a photo to the voter registration card ( which you have to show two forms of ID to get ) . . but it is clear that id is not the intent

Old 10-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
But do you live in a state where intimidation of minority voters is a rich tradition and the state pastime??

Hell . . not too long ago, we had some tightie whities complaining that the mere presence of four black men near the entrance to a voting placed was intimidating.

If prevention of voter fraud was the real reason, Texas ( Or any other state ) could easily add a photo to the voter registration card ( which you have to show two forms of ID to get ) . . but it is clear that id is not the intent
tell the whole story...there have been several cases where members of the black panthers had men in uniform with clubs yelling racial slurs against the whites standing in front of polling entrances.

Voter fraud is there and it is bigger than what most people think. Most don't make the national news or even prosecuted. I know of several cases in my own area that never was even mentioned in my local paper.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

So yelling is more intimidating than shooting them??

Yelling at voters is part of the job description down here

Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #9
Vetustior Humo

My dear departed MiL would have been denied the right to vote because her license had expired and it was too much trouble to get her to the DMV at 90 y/o.

And as for the police stop - "driving while black" is not new. Back in the day, the father of an ex-gf was a cop in Beverly Hills. His attitude was "If you're black and you ain't Sammy Davis Jr. you got no right to be driving here." Me: "But Howard, don't you have to have probable cause to pull some over?" Him: "If I got a night stick - you got a broken tail light."
Old 10-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
It ain't over
Federal judge strikes down Texas law requiring voter ID at polls

Quote:
A federal judge on Thursday struck down a Texas law requiring voters to show identification at polls, saying it placed an unconstitutional burden on voters and discriminated against minorities.

In a ruling that follows a two-week trial in Corpus Christi of a lawsuit challenging the law, U.S. District Judge Nelva Gonzales Ramos also found that it amounted to an unconstitutional poll tax.

"The court holds that SB 14 creates an unconstitutional burden on the right to vote, has an impermissible discriminatory effect against Hispanics and African-Americans and was imposed with an unconstitutional discriminatory purpose," Ramos wrote in a 147-page ruling.
Federal judge strikes down Texas law requiring voter ID at polls | Reuters

U.S. Supreme Court blocks Wisconsin voter ID law

Quote:
The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday blocked a new voter identification law in Wisconsin from going into effect.

The nine-justice court, with three conservative members dissenting, granted a last-minute request by civil rights groups seeking to block an appeals court ruling that the law could be implemented.
U.S. Supreme Court blocks Wisconsin voter ID law | Reuters

Likely be more appeals and more rulings between now and November . .

Old 10-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yustr View Post
My dear departed MiL would have been denied the right to vote because her license had expired and it was too much trouble to get her to the DMV at 90 y/o.
My Father, who was born at home and did not have a birth certificate, ( But did have three years in the Pacific with the Marine Corps ) would also have been denied the right to vote . .

Old 10-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

I find it amazing that people cannot get id's to vote but they have id's to get government checks and other assistance.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:26 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

If they get government checks and other assistance . . In my dad's case . . he did not have to have a birth certificate to receiver his SS . . or his Veterans benefits.

The idea is not to force them to get the ID . . most likely have one . . it is to intimidate them when it comes time to vote . . has been since the end of the Civil War down here . .

Case in point . . two years ago, after Rick W passed the first law requiring ID to vote and the SC tossed it out, clever Republicans were still putting sighs near voting places "reminding" voters that they needed a approved ID in order to vote . . which was not true, but they knew that it would intimidate some into not voting.

If it was about the sanctity of voting, simply putting the Photo on the Voter Registration card would be enough . . but where would the intimidation factor be in that??

Old 10-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Several years ago, I was doing some field research on a rancher's land in New Mexico. One morning he mentioned that he'd had to spend a half hour at a the Border Patrol checkpoint outside his ranch because one of his kids forgot their ID. This checkpoint was a hundred miles from the border. The problem was that they were a SUV full of people that looked "Mexican," whereas, being blond-haired and blue-eyed, I just got waved through that checkpoint. Not only was this rancher an Army veteran who had been born and raised in America, his family had owned the ranch since before America was even a country.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
If they get government checks and other assistance . . In my dad's case . . he did not have to have a birth certificate to receiver his SS . . or his Veterans benefits.

The idea is not to force them to get the ID . . most likely have one . . it is to intimidate them when it comes time to vote . . has been since the end of the Civil War down here . .

Case in point . . two years ago, after Rick W passed the first law requiring ID to vote and the SC tossed it out, clever Republicans were still putting sighs near voting places "reminding" voters that they needed a approved ID in order to vote . . which was not true, but they knew that it would intimidate some into not voting.

If it was about the sanctity of voting, simply putting the Photo on the Voter Registration card would be enough . . but where would the intimidation factor be in that??
dd214 is considered a valid id.

Only those who tend to vote illegally or those who tend to benefit from those who vote illegally are the ones who do not want id's - PERIOD.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
dd214 is considered a valid id.
Not here . . does not have his photo . . and it was not issued prior to 1950

Again . . if it was about preserving the sanctity of voting, simply putting the Photo on the Voter Registration card would be enough.

Quote:
Only those who tend to vote illegally or those who tend to benefit from those who vote illegally are the ones who do not want id's - PERIOD.
. . . or a conservative constitutionalists who has been on the negative end of a demand for "Papers! ! "

Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #17
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

In my state these are acceptable ID's:
  • A driver's license or nondriver's identification card
  • A concealed carry of handgun license
  • A United States passport
  • An employee badge or identification document issued by a municipal, county, state, or federal government office
  • A military identification document issued by the United States
  • A student identification card issued by an accredited postsecondary institution of education in the state
  • A public assistance identification card issued by a municipal, county, state or federal government office
  • An identification card issued by an Indian tribe
Anyone legally a resident of the state who doesn't have a driver's license can get a non-driver's ID. Remember that there is a federal law requiring picture IDs to fly on airplanes too.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

You can tell who they intended to help and who they aimed the intimidation at. .

Here, Concealed handgun permit counts . . ID issued by a college does not . .

Old 10-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #19
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Note the below:

Quote:
A military identification document issued by the United States
This would include a DD214 if it were not for the fact that it's not a photo ID.

When asked for ID I used to like to present an obscure DOD-issued one such as a DD1934 just to mess with their heads. Nobody civilian actually had any idea what it was but it looked "official."
Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

I like to show mu Russian drivers license . . or one from Dubai . . that one really throws them..

I probably had a DD214 but have no idea where it is now ( and do not care!)

Closed Thread