Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Virgina Train Crash.

This is a discussion on Virgina Train Crash. within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Boy this seems like a big mess BBC News - Fireball fills West Virginia sky after oil train crash

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Boy this seems like a big mess BBC News - Fireball fills West Virginia sky after oil train crash

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Trains are such a primitive way to transport oil . . tracks are poorly maintained and equipment is very outdated. Worked fine in 1886 . . but for crying out loud!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Trains are making a come back, thanks in part our tax dollars and the road use tax paid by the trucking industry....................but I digress CSX has a pretty good safety record.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

According to our news channels, it is because the pipeline is not keeping up with the production which included Fracking, not sure if that is an attempt here to put it in a bad light, since it has not been a popular choice if reports on it here are accurate,that method seems to be getting a bad name.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
tracks are poorly maintained and equipment is very outdated. Worked fine in 1886 . . but for crying out loud!
The local spur here went in somewhere around 1900 and has been worked on twice since then. The big names have long ago abandoned it and the local company has to limit speeds to about 10 mph. Semis are the "trains" of the area now but that brings up another maintenance point. State revenue has fallen and the deficit risen so the governor is taking money away from road construction and maintenance to pay for the shortfall. I oftentimes wonder what that trillion the government spent in Iraq would have done to help patch up the US's failing infrastructure.

Oh, and for our International members, West Virginia and Virginia are two separate states but I can forgive the confusion, I mean it's not like most Americans even know the difference between Northern Ireland and Ireland.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

If only there was a big long pipe line that carried oil so that this can be avoided.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Post 4 MC Keep in mind I 'am stating what was reported in that post, but it would appear the pipe is not yet long enough.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

That pipe line plan is stalled in red tape and with the current price of crude isn't financially feasible.
Old 02-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Unfortunately, pipelines running from the west to the east are very expensive due to the dense populations in the east coast area. The existing ones are also getting old and dangerous for high volumes. The larger and newer lines run south to North, accommodating historical producing areas to the east coast refineries,

Old 02-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

If you are talking about the Keystone PL . . it runs From north to south to supply the gulf coast refineries or be exported. The southern route ( Cushing to Gulf Coast ) is complete, the Northern route ( Canada to Cushing ) has evolved into a political football . . and as Wrench said, at todays Crude Prices, is probably not financeable it will not effect West to East shipments

Old 02-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #11

Quote:
If you are talking about the Keystone PL . . it runs From north to south to supply the gulf coast refineries or be exported. The southern route ( Cushing to Gulf Coast ) is complete, the Northern route ( Canada to Cushing ) has evolved into a political football . . and as Wrench said, at todays Crude Prices, is probably not financeable it will not effect West to East shipments
yeah from what I read the price of oil needs to be high for KX to be feasable... as well as any shale production at all...
Old 02-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
If only there was a big long pipe line that carried oil so that this can be avoided.
until the pipeline ruptures.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Debt just appears to be a number in this country, so at the finishing touches coming in at a approximately $7 billion it certainly is doable.

Even if fuel were to go back to $3 - $4 per gallon "they" would still throw the ball around in the football field.

Besides, the pipeline would be quite beneficial. You'd think that the environmentalist would be all for it as it would save the fuel and coal burned by transporting it via Train and Truck and consumers should enjoy the even lower ~$2 per gallon fuel prices. Plus think of the labor it would create to build the remainder.

I might be wrong, but I believe Canada only sells their oil to the US? I'm not sure of their export situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
until the pipeline ruptures.
I could say the same thing about the train. In fact, the train is actually more of a risk.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:40 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

The debt would be assumed by the consortium building and operating the pipeline system ( Canadian I believe ). . If cash flows are not robust enough, investors will not see it as a viable project.

I have not seen the economics behind the project, but Crude Oil at around 50 is not going to look good to most projects that large . . alternatives with lower costs ( higher returns ) could drive it out of the market. Tariffs high enough to pay for the pipeline and generate a decent return might be too high to be feasible to compete with other sources

Old 02-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #15
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Tariffs high enough to pay for the pipeline and generate a decent return might be too high to be feasible
I believe there are zero tariffs on oil imported into the US. Unless it has already been converted to fuel.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Pipeline tariffs . . what the pipeline charges to move the oil

Old 02-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #17
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post

Besides, the pipeline would be quite beneficial.

It would benefit the companies not the American people. At a Senate hearing the proponents were asked directly if they would agree to keep the oil here and they said no.

You'd think that the environmentalist would be all for it as it would save the fuel and coal burned by transporting it via Train and Truck

Environmentalists want to keep the oil in the ground.

and consumers should enjoy the even lower ~$2 per gallon fuel prices.

It will have zero impact on our gas prices. In fact, it may even raise them. Forbes

Plus think of the labor it would create to build the remainder.

A few hundred as the crews will probably be from one company and they will move with the sections. It will not be built all at once. And probably less than 50 permanent jobs doing inspection and maintenance.

I might be wrong, but I believe Canada only sells their oil to the US? I'm not sure of their export situations.

About 90% comes here.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:06 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The Senate failed to override Obama’s veto of the Keystone Pipeline.

The U.S. Senate failed on Wednesday to overturn President Barack Obama's veto of legislation approving the Keystone XL oil pipeline, leaving the contentious project to await an administration decision on whether to allow it.

The Republican-majority Senate mustered just 62 votes in favor of overturning Obama's veto, less than the two-thirds needed for an override. Thirty-seven senators voted to uphold Obama's veto.

Yet another "Fail" by the "new" Congress . . .

U.S. Senate fails to override Obama's veto of Keystone pipeline bill | Reuters

Old 03-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #19
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

I don't see a lot of bad from the pipeline. One of the "arguments" against it was that Canadian oil would go to the Gulf, where it would be sold overseas. However, much, if not most, of it probably would be refined there for use in North America. I would say that some powerful trucking unions might have had something to do with the veto, if not just Obama's obstinacy, as he tends to have a knee-jerk reaction to oppose anything that the Republicans favor.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

And the clowns are so intent on poking him in the eye that they cannot develop a viable plan . . why in the world would you pass the bill knowing you did not have the votes to override??? Sheer incompetence . . just like everything else they try to do to get even.

Bye the way. . most of the Canadian crude would be exported since the US is producing more than it can refine. The Canadians have no other way to export and cannot build a pipeline to a export facility for many of the same reasons it is fought here . . They just do not have the Koch Bros to buy a whole party for them.

I have no feelings about the pipeline one way or the other . . it's a great deal for the Canadians and does virtually nothing for the US other than some short term jobs ( which is not all bad ) . . It just gets my goat that these guys could not manage a whorehouse on a troopship and they want to be trusted with running the country

Closed Thread