Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Under pressure from the right, House Speaker Boehner quits

This is a discussion on Under pressure from the right, House Speaker Boehner quits within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner will leave Congress at the end of October after struggling with repeated rebellions

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
U.S. House of Representatives Speaker John Boehner will leave Congress at the end of October after struggling with repeated rebellions by conservatives during a tumultuous five-year reign as the chamber's top Republican.

The 65-year-old Ohio lawmaker stunned Republican House members at a meeting on Friday morning with the announcement that he would leave the top job in the 435-seat chamber and resign his seat effective on Oct. 30.
Finally got tired of herding snakes I guess?? This pre4tty much leaves the sanatorium in the hands of the nut cases . .

Under pressure from the right, House Speaker Boehner quits | Reuters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

That may be the best single thing he has ever done as a law maker. It is a thankless job though and I bet only the "nutcases" want the job now anyway! Ok so that gets us past "The Continuing Resolution" now but what about it again in December and then worse yet the Debt Ceiling same time?

My question is how much longer can we survive without a "real President"? Someone who will make deals and get everyone to the table, something this guy clearly is incapable of? Much as I hate to say it, this one may have surpassed "W" as the poorest President in history. What they did to him wasn't fair but what he did back shows he clearly is incapable of having the position.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Anytime I hear about a resignation I always wonder what the real reason was. What you hear may not always be the truth.
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

In politics truth is seldom the end goal.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Well that sure is the truth Joe.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
That may be the best single thing he has ever done as a law maker. It is a thankless job though and I bet only the "nutcases" want the job now anyway! Ok so that gets us past "The Continuing Resolution" now but what about it again in December and then worse yet the Debt Ceiling same time?

My question is how much longer can we survive without a "real President"? Someone who will make deals and get everyone to the table, something this guy clearly is incapable of? Much as I hate to say it, this one may have surpassed "W" as the poorest President in history. What they did to him wasn't fair but what he did back shows he clearly is incapable of having the position.
No doubt that noone in DC has covered themselves with glory, but it's hardely fair to blame POTUS for the disfunction and chaios that exists in the GOP. That is entirely a self inflicted wound and a consequence of their snuggleing up to the Lunatic Fringe

If it was not so serious, it would make you laugh that the GOP whined for years that the Dems did not pass budgets but relied on CR's to keep government going and now they are doing the same thing!

Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Most prior Presidents have at one point in their careers faced governing with an opposition party, this one has paid lip service to trying to work with them and I'm afraid it shows Rich.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

No argument . . just not connected to the dysfunction within the GOP . . that one is entirely self inflicted

Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Oh absolutely. I can't help but wonder if we aren't beginning to witness the reverse of when the "Dixiecrats" in the Democratic Party became Republicans many years ago and that we are about to see an exodus of moderates from the Republican party.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

You have one here . . changed my registration to Independent this summer . . Was registered Republican for 50 years . .

When Lyndon Johnson was signing the Civil Rights act, he looked over to Sam Rayburn ( Speaker of the House ) and said " We will loose the South for a generation when I sign this" . . and sure 'nuf they did.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I was a registered Dem for 40 years and last summer finally registered Independent myself. Personally I can't take the conservatism in the Democratic Party anymore and with this last President I decided I can no longer be a Democrat. I want to vote for Bernie though so I just today re registered as a Dem so I can vote in the primary. It is a damn shame in Pa if you are not registered for the party you can't vote in primary and up until now I haven't cared as there has been no clear cut choice. In May I'll go back to Independent unless Bernie wins.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

The real reason is Boehner was trying to do his job while appeasing the loonies.......a person can only take so much. The tea people need to go and soon.........when they are all backed by the brothers Koch it means something's afoot and it won't benefit the people of this country.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Same goofyness here . . actually, I had to re-register and not declare. I can vote in whichever primary I choose, but once I vote in one, I am married to it. The primary voting rights was the only thing that kept me from switching earlier, but when I thought it thru, I really did not care to vote in the Dem primary so I'll continue to vote in the Rep primary . . not that my vote will count for much here in the heart of bubbahood and Tea nonsense.

O'l Bearnie is a little too far to the left for me, but I like him personally and love some of the things he says. I kinda think like the Arabs . . . my friend is the enemy of my enemy . . anything that keeps a Bush or a Clinton out of the WhiteHouse I am in favor of! Bush seems to be taken care of by the Tea folk . . now just have to worry about Clinton

Old 09-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #14
Vetustior Humo

All this talk of voting in primaries reminded me of this from that bastion of representative democracy - Chicago: "You can vote for anyone you like...as long as I get to do the nominating."

I kind of feel sorry from Boehner. He had a nearly impossible task and seemed to handle it as well as could be expected. When you're fighting your own as much as you're fighting the other side it's hard to find any firm ground. He tried to "govern", a concept that seems foreign to many today. That said, he (and his fellow Reps) allowed the TEA's to poke their noses into the tent so are forced to live with the conflagration they caused.

Said another way, I doubt LBJ or Tip O'Neal would have handled an similar insurgency with the kid gloves that Boehner used.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Congressional Republican leaders and the White House will launch negotiations soon on a two-year budget deal that would establish new limits for U.S. government spending in 2016 and 2017, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Tuesday.

Seeking to bring more fiscal stability to Washington, McConnell said he and House Speaker John Boehner had spoken with President Barack Obama, a Democrat, about the talks. Boehner has announced he will step down at the end of October.

After years of lurching from one fiscal crisis to the next, a two-year deal would set top spending levels and permit a more predictable process, McConnell said as lawmakers scrambled to prevent an imminent government shutdown this week.
In addition to allowing Boehner to give the Tea bunch a middle finger salute, this should let us see how the three can work together to come to a compromise that keeps the Tea folk from shutting down government over fabricated videos, the health plan for POTUS or any of dozens of manufactured crisis they might come up with.

Obama, Congress to kick off budget negotiations | Reuters

Old 10-08-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

McCarthy drops out of race for House speaker, election postponed

Quote:
Republican Kevin McCarthy has dropped out of the race to be the next speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, members of the chamber said on Thursday, and the election to choose the next top leader in the chamber has been postponed.

In a meeting with fellow Republicans, McCarthy, the current House majority leader, said that "I am not the one at this time," according to Republican Representative Peter King.

House Republican Conference spokesman Nate Hodson said the election for Republican speaker nominee was postponed until a later date.
Reps will find some way to blame POTUS and the media no doubt . . meanwhile, they will continue to circle the wagons and fire inside . .

https://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0S227G20151008

Old 10-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #17
Vetustior Humo

Who says we don't have a multiparty system? It sure seems that the next speaker needs to "form a coalition government" among his fellow teapublicans. LINK

What I find funny about Ryan is his laudable desire to not give up time with his children to be speaker...but yet he was willing to run for vice president. I guess he figured he had little chance of winning so why not?
Old 10-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

The understatement of the year:

From Paul Ryan today . . We have become the problem!

Old 10-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

The poor Republicans . . after 5 years of focusing like a laser on jobs . . they finally create one, and no one wants it!

Old 10-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Good one Rich!

Closed Thread