Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Trump knew for weeks that aide was misleading over Russia

This is a discussion on Trump knew for weeks that aide was misleading over Russia within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. U.S. President Donald Trump knew for weeks that national security adviser Michael Flynn had misled the White House about his

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
U.S. President Donald Trump knew for weeks that national security adviser Michael Flynn had misled the White House about his contacts with Russia but did not immediately force him out, an administration spokesman said on Tuesday.

Trump was informed in late January that Flynn had not told Vice President Mike Pence the whole truth about conversations he had with Russia's ambassador to the United States before Trump took office, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said.

Flynn quit on Monday after Trump lost trust in him and asked for his resignation, Spicer said. "The issue pure and simple came down to a matter of trust," Spicer told reporters.

The departure was another disruption for an administration already repeatedly distracted by miscues and internal dramas since the Republican businessman assumed the presidency on Jan. 20.

U.S. lawmakers, including some leading Republicans, called for a deeper inquiry into not just Flynn's actions but broader White House ties to Russia. Trump has long said that he would like improved relations with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

A timeline of events outlined by Spicer and a U.S. official showed that Trump knew for weeks about Flynn misleading the vice president.

The Justice Department warned the White House in late January that Flynn had misled Pence by denying to him that he had discussed U.S. sanctions on Russia with Ambassador Sergei Kislyak, a potentially illegal act, a U.S. official said.

Flynn did talk about sanctions with the diplomat, whose calls were recorded by U.S. intelligence officials, the official said. But Pence went on television in mid-January and denied that Flynn had discussed sanctions.

Spicer stressed that the administration believed there was no legal problem with Flynn's conversations with Kislyak, but rather an issue over the president's trust in his adviser.

He said the Justice Department sought to notify the White House counsel on Jan. 26. about the discrepancies in Flynn's accounts.
Trump knew for weeks that aide was misleading over Russia: White House | Reuters

The gang that can't shoot straight with the earliest misfire in history . . How dos this bode for the future?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

The only reason Flynn was asked to resign is the fact that he got caught. I think he was going to be Trump's 'ace in the hole' on Russian business relations.

This is shaping up to be the most inept and damaging administration in US history. Got the three B's going.......billionaires, bankers, and bigots. What more could you ask for??
Old 02-15-2017, 04:22 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Yawn! How patently partisan. I respectfully submit for your reading (dis)pleasure:

100 days.pdf

Let's compare apples to apples. Oh wait, it hasn't been 100 days yet this time around.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 AM   #4
Administrator
TSF Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post
Yawn! How patently partisan.
And CFWF is not partisan??

If this country is lucky there won't be 100 days of Trump.....
Old 02-15-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Ya gotta love how the Trumpettes get sleepy when he screws up . .

Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

NY Times says Trump campaign had repeated contact with Russian intelligence

Quote:
Phone records and intercepted calls show that members of Donald Trump's presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election, the New York Times reported on Tuesday, citing four current and former U.S. officials.

U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies intercepted the communications around the same time they were discovering evidence that Russia was trying to disrupt the presidential election by hacking into the Democratic National Committee, three of the officials said, according to the Times.

The intelligence agencies then sought to learn whether the Trump campaign was colluding with the Russians on the hacking or other efforts to influence the election, the newspaper said.

The officials interviewed in recent weeks said they had seen no evidence of such cooperation so far, it said.

However, the intercepts alarmed U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies, in part because of the amount of contact that was occurring while Trump was speaking glowingly about Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The intercepted calls are different from the wiretapped conversations last year between Michael Flynn, Trump's former national security adviser, and Sergei I. Kislyak, the Russian ambassador to the United States, the Times said.
NY Times says Trump campaign had repeated contact with Russian intelligence | Reuters

Looks like maybe just the tip of the iceberg . . .

Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
Administrator
TSF Manager

I don't think we'll see the rest of the iceberg......

For GOP, a dimmed zeal for investigations in Trump era
Old 02-15-2017, 07:04 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

"It's only bad it they do it!"

Old 02-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Senate Republicans push for answers on Trump team's Russia ties

Quote:
Senior Republicans issued their boldest challenge yet to U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday, promising to get to the bottom of the relationship between his aides and Russia, and calling for ousted national security adviser Michael Flynn to testify before Congress.

Senator Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and other senators in Trump's party pushed for more information as the White House becomes engulfed by questions about contacts between Trump's team and Russia.

The New York Times reported on Tuesday that phone call records and intercepted calls showed members of Trump's presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the Nov. 8 election in which Trump defeated Democrat Hillary Clinton.

Flynn was abruptly forced out as Trump's national security adviser on Monday after revelations that he had discussed U.S. sanctions on Russia with the Russian ambassador to the United States, before Trump took office, and that he had later misled Vice President Mike Pence about the conversations.
"Let's get everything out as quickly as possible on this Russia issue," Corker told MSNBC's "Morning Joe" program.

"I would want to make sure, with all of this suspicion, that everybody fully understood what has taken place. Otherwise, maybe there's a problem that obviously goes much deeper than what we now suspect," Corker added.
Senate Republicans push for answers on Trump team's Russia ties | Reuters

patently partisan indeed . . .

Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Trump blasts 'criminal' leaks by intelligence agencies, calls Flynn 'wonderful'

Quote:
U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday assailed what he said were illegal and "criminal" leaks from U.S. intelligence agencies in the controversy over contacts with Russian officials that forced his national security adviser Michael Flynn to resign.

Speaking at a joint news conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Trump called Flynn a "wonderful man" and added: "I think it's very, very unfair what's happened to General Flynn, the way he was treated, and the documents and papers that were illegally, I stress that, illegally leaked."
Trump blasts 'criminal' leaks by intelligence agencies, calls Flynn 'wonderful' | Reuters

Seems to me that the next question would be "Then why did you fire him???"

I'm starting to think this guy does not live on the same planet I do . .

Old 02-18-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Talking with ambassadors is not illegal. That's exactly what they are there for. Flynn was a citizen while talking with them, not a political figure. It's a bunch of made up stuff to sensationalize on liberal TV.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

So Trump fired him because the press made him do it? Trump must be a wussy?

Old 02-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hint: . . Trump is a wussy, but the thing that got Flynn fired was the topic of his discussions . . which had been recorded. . .

The subsequent lie would normally have been a plus in this new administration, but he got caught!

Now back to Bevis and Breitbart for another excuse . .

Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #14
Vetustior Humo

Mrs. yustr and I were watching a crime drama yesterday and the cop was interviewing a lawyer who might have been involved in the murder about some pictures that were found at the scene of the crime. She (the lawyer) was bright and said "I believe you already know the answer to your questions. So I can only gather that you're testing my truthfulness."

Same goes here. The NSA and FBI already knew what Flynn discussed with the Russians. They questioned him and he lied. They must have then gone to Trump and said basically, fire him or we bring felony charges.Why he waited three weeks is beyond me except he was worried about the optics. Then again, why did he hire him in the first place? The only logical conclusion is that lying to the FBI is OK with Trump but lying to the VP is a No-No.

I'm quickly running out of popcorn.