Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Tomorrow is THE day.

This is a discussion on Tomorrow is THE day. within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. How will things go with the "Brexit" campaign?? Looks like it's too close to call at this point. Got no

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

How will things go with the "Brexit" campaign?? Looks like it's too close to call at this point. Got no horse in this race but I'd like to see the UK stand on their own. Plenty of good arguments on both sides but I'd like to see Britannia as a world power again.....on her own.

OK...we have our own "Trexit". No.....I haven't applied for a passport in case Trump takes the White House. That's getting a wee drastic......but, UK sounds like a nice place.
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If Brexit wins, look for a big stock market sell-off.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Futures seem to be betting on a "Bremain" vote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There's a lot of folks here who are getting extremely fed up with being dictated to by unelected bureaucrats in Brussels, along with a PM who's been proved to lie through his teeth time and time again.

For the first time in more years than I care to think about, I had to queue in my local Polling Station, there were that many folks who feel strongly about it. The majority of folks were very devout Brexit supporters, from the chatting outside.

I did overhear one very relevant comment though, which made me grin - 'Has anyone noticed that the larger the salary and bonuses people get, the louder they shout to remain in?....'

I also read earlier that Holland announced they intend to table a motion in their Parliament to have a referendum to leave the EU if Brexit wins, they intend to do this the very next day. The president of Holland has also stated that Denmark, France and Sweden are looking to follow...

One good thing that has come about from this referendum though, British patriotism is at an all-time high, especially from the older generations. They feel extremely betrayed having lost family in 2 wars for our freedom, only for our government to give it all away to Europe.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 06-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Google Predicts Landslide Win for Brexit Leave InvestmentWatch

And here's the voting tally

The All-Night Nailbiter: Global Markets Slide As Support For "Leave" Far Stronger Than Expected | Zero Hedge
Old 06-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Old 06-23-2016, 09:30 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

U.K. broadcasters: Britain votes to leave European Union
Old 06-23-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Well drat.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Well it was a good start to the daywhen I woke up, we're leaving the EU (Yaaaay!), D Cameron is quitting (triple YAAAAYYY!!!) and a bunch of MPs have tabled a motion for a call of 'No Confidence' in the Opposition Leader Jeremy Corbyn (Another YAAAAYY!).... Oh, and it's a lovely warm and sunny day.....

Definitely a day worth noting in my diary

Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

I definitely second all of those Yaaaaaay's.

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 06-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #11

Can someone explain the Pro's and Con's like I'm a 5 year old of all this?

I am so confused
Old 06-24-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

It's really too complicated to sum up here. Some of us have been following the issue for many months.

Old 06-24-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

I've been trying to...

I've seen the market downfalls... but I don't understand why the pound fell... was it tied to the Euro?
Old 06-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #14
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

All currencies are intertwined. The pound fell because investors believed it lost some value (stability?). Unless something drastic happens it will regain most of its lost value next week. Playing the currency market is only for the extremely sophisticated. Something like betting on the niners.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:23 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

The uncertainty as to what other members will do is driving a lot of the currency swings . . Unlike most EU members, the UK has it's own currency and Central Bank, but most of the others do not and their leaving would wreck Hell across the Financial sphere.

The change will definitely ding the UK GDP for a few years, and likely the EU as well as new treaties will have to be negotiated for trade and commerce. The impact on total world economy is now likely negative or at least in doubt, so that adds more uncertainty.

It does reduce the impact of the third largest economy in the world (EU) by one half to one third so it is nothing to sneeze at. Likely gives both the US and China a chance to take more of a bite than they had with a solidified EU in place, so those countries could actually gain with this.

The market hates uncertainty and there is plenty of that now!

The other poke in the eye is how much time the EU will give UK to leave . . It could take up to 4 years, but my guess is that the EU will want to get it behind them while the pain is still playing out to discourage other members from following suite. The quicker it happens, the more short term pain there will be for UK and its' citizens.

It is hard to estimate how much the Pound drop is temporary and how much may now be structural as their economy adapts to the new world this creates and retreats.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:02 AM   #16
Team Manager - Networking

Quote:
but I don't understand why the pound fell... was it tied to the Euro?
one thought is it fell because had slowly been raising thinking we would stay in EU
and so its a correction
the is the same as in Feb 2016 - so just a market correct

at least thats one thought

so now instead of sorting the EU - we will get into the NON elected fight for a new leader and spend months listening to internal bickering rather than sorting out leaving the EU

I think people will be very disappointed in a couple of years when all the stats and false promises start to become a reality and will not change , as expected!!!
Emigration , NHS etc

Old 06-25-2016, 04:28 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Sounds like Boris is already walking back some of his statements . .

Old 06-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
Can someone explain the Pro's and Con's like I'm a 5 year old of all this?

I am so confused
The monetary aspect has been well explained above, so I won't confuse myself or others by re-iterating it all.

T'other reasons the 'Brexiteers' wanted out is that we're fed up to the back teeth of non-elected bureaucrats in Brussels issuing directives, rules and laws telling us what we can and can't do in our country, whether they contradict our own laws or not.

The UK pays approx. 190,000,000 (after rebates and grants back) per week, a lot of which is wasted by MEPs (Member of European Parliament) flying back and forth for things like meetings, the European Parliament also shifts it's base every so often, costing millions and for no solid reason (Think of the logistics of the White House 'moving' to Florida cos it's warmer in Winter )

We also want control over our borders too, screening folks coming in for any criminal records etc. Brussels has directed that we have to accept their quota of immigrants, without checking whether criminals or anything otherwise it's against 'Human Rights', which is how the terrorists got in to bomb France last year, along with other atrocities around Europe like the mass sexual assaults in Cologne, at their New Year festivities.

Basically we want to get our sovereignty back and have a real democracy, rather than the bureaucratic dictatorship we're presently under.

The whole issue is now getting very silly unfortunately, someone who didn't like the 'Leave' result has started an online petition to move the goal-posts for the voting, so they would have won instead! It's now reached 1,000,000 signatures so it will have to be debated in our parliament - I'm hoping the politicians will laugh it out the door, a lot of the 'Remainers' are behaving like children having tantrums and throwing their toys out of their prams, cos they couldn't have their own way.

Also, a large majority of the politicians are threatening to override democratic principles and vote to block all the 'leaving' changes, just to keep us in the EU (There's 80,000 pages of EU rules and directives to wade through, all of which have to be decided whether to keep, lose or amend)

This is now making a total mockery of democracy and holding elections and referendums, if those elected to serve ignore the electorate who put 'em there in the first place. OK we can vote them out at elections, but waiting 4 years is too long and the damage will be done by then.

I'll leave this now for the time being, as my fingers are now sore from all this typing....

Old 06-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

I'm reading with intense interest the rumblings in Texas regarding the potential for secession! They have been emboldened by the Brexit vote and have been circulating a petition for "Texit" for quite some time. It has gained considerable momentum recently, and will likely grow much more palatable and possible with the example of the Brexit vote . . . .

Now Texas is the best example of a state that could easily exit the US and be near totally self-sufficient with all its current resources and industries. The issue of protecting and SEALING the border with Mexico is a major contributor to the debate, as it well should be. I have many close and distant relatives there, and I'd be quite interested in acquiring a Texas passport if that were to come to fruition!!

"Don't mess with Texas" is becoming much more than just a simple slogan of late!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 06-25-2016, 07:58 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

All that might sound good to the Bubbas, but they ignore two issues!

1. This country settled the question of cecession almost 200 years ago, and whether the Bubbas like it or not, it's a non issue!

2. The Bubbas conveniently overlook the fact that like most of the Red states, Texas receives more money from the Federal Government than it pays to the Federal Government!

We do not come close to funding our own educational system!.

P.s. I have a Texas Passport!
Closed Thread