Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Three senators to introduce historic bill to federally legalize medical marijuana

This is a discussion on Three senators to introduce historic bill to federally legalize medical marijuana within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The bill would also allow patients, doctors and business in the 23 states plus Washington, D.C. that legalize and regulate

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:03 AM   #1
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
The bill would also allow patients, doctors and business in the 23 states plus Washington, D.C. that legalize and regulate medicinal marijuana to do so without breaking federal law.
There really is no reason that a plant or its medicinal use should be deemed illegal. Ironically, considering how rabid the federal government is about prosecuting its use (unless it's in a state like Colorado that's friendly to the Democrat Administration's gun policies, in which case they look the other way), marijuana growing has at times been actively supported by the government. George Washington was a major producer of hemp. In WWII the federal laws against growing it were suspended so that it could be grown for rope, as the manila fibers were unavailable due to Japanese control of the South Pacific. There are counties in Kansas where it would be simply ludicrous to try to eradicate all the wild hemp left over from its production at that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 04:28 AM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

The pharmaceutical companies are probably the ones keeping the plant illegal. But....the ones wanting stronger meds will still provide profit to the industry. You can grow your own marijuana but would be hard pressed to 'grow' your own Oxycontin or whatever else is available in that genre of medicine.

**I have not consumed any marijuana since '78 and what was available back then doesn't compare to what is grown today from what I'm told. If it becomes legal in my state I'm not sure I would try any......I've got more fingers and toes than the times I've tried the stuff.......
Old 03-11-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Never did see much sense in smoking it, or anything else for that matter. It's sort of amazing that I didn't though, as I was a soldier in the 70's. I might have been the only one in the service at that time that didn't toke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 06:51 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
The pharmaceutical companies are probably the ones keeping the plant illegal. But....the ones wanting stronger meds will still provide profit to the industry. You can grow your own marijuana but would be hard pressed to 'grow' your own Oxycontin or whatever else is available in that genre of medicine.
One of the things I've been curious to see is if the government would try to make the act of growing pot illegal if it becomes legal for recreational use.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I think there are provisions for home grown marijuana in most of the bills passed on state level. The Feds may disallow growing your own.......pretty much like making distilled spirits where excise tax comes into play. Home brewed beer was not allowed on a federal level until 1978......Mississippi held out until 2013.