Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Three Cheers for EDYOUKAYSHUN!

This is a discussion on Three Cheers for EDYOUKAYSHUN! within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't know what's actually worse, that Al is pictured all dressed up, "Smart Guy" glasses on, studiously 'reading' an

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharpton_Bloviates!.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	301705

I don't know what's actually worse, that Al is pictured all dressed up, "Smart Guy" glasses on, studiously 'reading' an upside down book, (satisfying innumerable stereotypes), or that he did it deliberately to make somebody ELSE look bad (once again, satisfying [for him] well established stereotypes).

"The focus of our education system is the transfer of tax dollars between politicians and unions. Educating children is its waste product." - Frank Fleming

That will hopefully change with Betsy DeVos. I think the piggybank is what the Dems are actually the most worried about. They are scared of how DeVos being sworn in as Education Secretary is going to effect all of that Teachers Union campaign money. Or perhaps, it's that the elimination of "Common Core" will reduce the vast number of "low information voters" which they depend upon to fool to stay in power! I suppose only time will tell...

Thankfully when I was teaching in a High School setting it was in a "right-to-work" state, where the unions couldn't get their grubby hands into my pockets! I could concentrate fully on doing the best job I could for my students, without the distractions of union politics and all that wasted time (and $$$) that goes with it.

Education is NOT SPECIFICALLY mentioned in the US Constitution as being in the purview or the responsibility of the Federal government. Therefore it IS in the purview and should be the responsibility of the individual States. The Dept of Education is unconstitutional, and should be de-funded and totally eliminated. It has been more of a hindrance than a help, since being created by the Carter Administration.

How did we EVER survive and truly thrive as a nation without it (very well, I think!)? Make sure the students are properly nourished, learn in a safe and nurturing environment, preferably absent the liberal claptrap being espoused and inculcated in our public schools today. My niece is a classic example of how that goes horribly wrong in later life! She was arrested in the "inauguration protests" before the "women's march" in Washington DC last month! Pouring urine on a National Guardsman is not very bright or enlightened conduct if you ask me!

Unlike the vast majority of "netizens" I see and read on a daily basis, I can distinguish the difference between, and proper usage of such words as THERE and THEIR (or even worse THIER!) and THEY'RE, YOUR and YOU'RE, THAN and THEN, and other simple and common word usages any properly instructed third grader should easily have mastered. But then, I was educated in the early 60's and 70's, before the Department of "Edyoukayshun" muddied the waters and "dumbed down" the standards to suit the least common denominator.

Part of my advantage was due to home-schooling, from age 2-5 by a part-time K-3 substitute teacher, also known affectionately as MOM! When I started kindergarten, I could read an average newspaper! At the age of 7, I was building radios and repairing clocks, radios & televisions. I started working in a TV repair shop at the age of 9, and OWNED IT at age 12, complete with a credit card and checking account!

Yes, I was a bit precocious and proud of it, so sue me!

Children received a much better education prior to the inception of the DOE. The vast majority of today's college freshmen can't pass a 4th grade exam from 1915. The ignorance of history, geography, mathematics, civics, and basic social studies is absolutely stunning to say the least! We now see the evidence of this gross ignorance in our own government officials, from local right on up through to the Federal level.

The U.S. has STATISTICALLY fallen greatly over the past 75 years with regard to our standard of education, as compared with other first-world industrialized nations. This, even though we spend considerably more funds per child for that, at best mediocre education. Let's get back to the basics, as the fed has had their shot and has failed miserably. It's now time to give it back to the states, as they traditionally did a much better job. The unconstitutional nature of the Department of Education is the only issue we should be addressing. All other of education's problems and shortcomings stem directly from it. As a case in point, just take a look at how many of our "LAWMAKERS" blithely demonstrate and even advocate for LAWBREAKING!

OK, so now I rest my case.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Vetustior Humo

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater?

My kids were edgumacated in four different states. Based on this limited data set, I can say with no hesitation that the quality varied widely between them. I'd grade WA and IN = A, CT was a strong B+, TN = D. I have to add a qualifier to TN though, once my son got into a honors magnet school the grade rose to B. (BTW: the magnet school was formed to address systemic racial bias in the Knoxville school system.)

What's my point?

States too do not always have students best interest in mind. The Texas School Board is the poster child for politics being placed above kids. Then there's THIS ONE FROM FLORIDA.

The National Governor's Association developed Common Core to address this disparity. Not all states have adopted it and I can't help but wonder if they had introduced it one year earlier - during the Bush admin - if it would have received the same vehement opposition? Me thinks not.

Are our kids falling behind the rest of the developed world? Yeah probably. Why? I think it overly simplistic to lay the blame on teacher's unions, or on the DOED, or in fact on any one thing. There are serious issued no doubt. They warrant serious thoughtful analysis.

"For every complex problem there's an answer that's clear, simple and wrong." H.L. Menchens
Old 02-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

OK, so I was edgumacated in two different states.

K-10 in New Jersey (4 different school systems, overall grade A+). I was well versed in all of the critical areas where today's students haven't a clue. My Jr. High housed the first Educational Television station in the Garden State (WNJT), on which I was a camera crew member and also served as a media center (A/V equipment) student assistant.

Then grades 11-12 in North Carolina (I'd give a grade D-), as it was during Federal Court Ordered Desegregation and busing of students all over town to achieve "racial desegregation." It didn't achieve any real balance, but in reality only broke up certain racial cliques which had developed and been problematical in large groups. We suffered with riots, sit-ins and all manner of foolishness under that court order. There was more emphasis on developing "racial harmony" to the near total exclusion of the "Three R's." I can safely say that my entire 2 years in NC schools at that juncture was a total waste, and a review of 5th and 6th grades (in NJ) for the most part. Oh wait, I skipped 5th grade in NJ, due to my bi-annual achievement test scores, so that would be 4th and 6th grades!

All kidding aside, under today's extensive research and scientifically developed methods of teaching and learning, it could be very different and possibly more equal across the various states. There are standardized tests that can identify and assist those with "learning disabilities" to assure a more balanced education. All that needs to be done is to develop and publish a standardized catalog of important subject matter and assess progress on a long-term basis. Perhaps then "Johnny or Jane" won't get a High School Diploma without being able to read or balance a checkbook, and maybe even have a basic reference of historical events and Constitutional awareness.

I noted with horror the number of college age people who, when interviewed couldn't identify key tenets of the Constitution and Bill of Rights. Worse, they would willingly sign petitions to repeal key guarantees of "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" enshrined therein! The U.S. is currently a nation of people who have no concept of where they have come from, and worse yet where they are going or more importantly, the means to get there.

I was particularly fascinated that, when presented with one candidates platform (attributed as that of the other) they happily agreed to be in favor of it, simply because their candidate was named as the supporter of those ideas! In hundreds of interviews I read about and watched, it was astounding to me the lack of awareness of the true issues, but only the cult of personality and party dogma was meaningful!! In more than one interview session, the beliefs of Adolph Hitler and Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov (Lenin) were substituted and attributed to either candidate, and were by and large wholeheartedly embraced by the interviewee!! Can you say "low information voters?" I thought you could!

***/SMDH??

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Closed Thread

Tags
education, government, ignorance, standards, states