Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

This may be what it takes to bring some accountability

This is a discussion on This may be what it takes to bring some accountability within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Wisconsin gun shop ordered to pay nearly $6 million to injured police officers Jurors ordered a Wisconsin gun store to

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Wisconsin gun shop ordered to pay nearly $6 million to injured police officers

Quote:
Jurors ordered a Wisconsin gun store to pay nearly $6 million on Tuesday to two Milwaukee police officers who were shot and seriously wounded by a gun purchased at the store.

The ruling came in a negligence lawsuit filed by the officers against Badger Guns, a shop in suburban Milwaukee that authorities have linked to hundreds of firearms found at crime scenes. The lawsuit alleges the shop ignored several warning signs that the gun used to shoot the officers was being sold to a "straw buyer," or someone who was buying the gun for someone who couldn't legally do so.

Jurors sided with the officers, ruling that the store was negligent in selling the gun.

Officer Bryan Norberg and retired Officer Graham Kunisch were both shot in the face after they stopped Julius Burton for riding his bike on the sidewalk in the summer of 2009. Surveillance video shows that the officers scuffled with Burton and slammed him into a wall before he shot both officers.

Investigators said Burton got the weapon a month before the confrontation, after giving $40 to another man, Jacob Collins, to make the purchase at the store in West Milwaukee.
Wisconsin gun shop ordered to pay nearly $6 million to injured police officers | Fox News

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Vetustior Humo

Can a negligence suit against a home owner who "looses" a gun be far behind?

To steal one from the conservative's playbook - this may be the "market solution" to gun violence. Once the insurance companies decide that their backsides are exposed you can bet they'll insist on tighter controls. I mean, many insurance companies will not write homeowner's insurance if you own a pitbull or have a diving board on your swimming pool. I can see questions such as: Do you own any fire arms? How many? Fifteen!!! Nope sorry, shop somewhere else.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Sounds like the "straw buyer" may have been a regular patron. 500 guns used in crimes traced back to the same store?? Something's very wrong......depending on the volume of sales.

The comments, after the story, are pretty much typical........some people just don't want regulations on firearms no matter what. Maybe we should go back to the old West 1880's and allow anyone to carry a sidearm.
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Most cities here in what used to be the "wild west" have less stringent laws about carrying firearms now than they did in the late 1800s. For instance, in Dodge City and Wichita open carry of firearms was prohibited from the 1870s on.

Once, not too many years ago, police in Wichita, Kansas were called to disarm a man "dressed like a cowboy and carrying a six-gun." The older gentleman asked the cops if he could show them his ID and explain why he was carrying a gun but they wouldn't listen and instead cuffed him, threw him into the back of the police car an took him to the station. At the police station the chief of police asked these two idiots why they had arrested the sheriff of the adjacent county.

My State has passed a law that allows the concealed carry of both firearms and all knives without a permit, reiterates the legality of open carry and makes it clear that state law supersedes local law on the matter of weapons. The new law hasn't resulted in any more crime than we had before. What it has done, however, is to prevent local cops from padding their city's coffers by arresting people on bogus concealed weapons charges because someone tossed a shotgun behind the seat after going hunting to keep it away from prying eyes when they picked up some groceries on the way home.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #5

What that gun store did was wrong, amazingly wrong with one guy buying that many guns and to have that many guns linked back to the store that guy bought... even a yellow flag should throw up red flags when selling a gun.

the ATF even has a provision that you can refuse to sell a gun to anyone for any reason without worrying about discrimination "It just did not feel right to sell to that person"

This gun seller was negligent and I would have voted the same way with the Jury...

That being said, there needs to be careful consideration on how these lawsuits are brought up. If a first time buyer does a straw purchase and "looses" their gun, or sells it to someone they know would not pass a BC then to hold the company liable would not be right...

In WA we have a UBC, so they can peg people for selling to someone without the check. The UBC's (which I voted for) could actually protect gun sellers if that person sold to passes and commits a crime with it.
Old 10-14-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

The state next to me is the administration's baby where gun control is concerned. Using loopholes akin to those that their leader himself used when he got his opponents thrown off the state senatorial ballot in Chicago, they passed legislation over the protests of 89% of the elected law enforcement officials in the state. Realizing they had gone too far, they eventually backed off on some of the legislation. For instance, one section of the new law, before it was thrown out, would have made a felon of a grandpa for loaning his grandson a shotgun to go hunting with on his farm without first giving the gun to a FFL dealer and having a background check performed on the lad. The backlash from these laws resulted in the recall elections of two state senators and the loss of hundreds of jobs. As a reward, the administration "looks the other way" when enforcing federal marijuana law in the state, even though said permissiveness is causing troubles in adjacent states where the substance is illegal, so much so that the states have filed a lawsuit that is being looked at by the US Supreme Court.

Colorado Sheriffs Refuse To Enforce New Gun Control Laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colora...election,_2013
Supreme Court Seeks Obama Administration Comment on Marijuana Case - WSJ
Gun Companies Fleeing States In Face Of New Anti-Gun Laws | Off The Grid News
Old 10-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

The haters make me giggle . . when the Feds enforce a law at the expense of a conflicting state law, the haters dig up poor ol' Jefferson Davis's body, wrap the moldy bones in the Confederate Flag and proclaim that POTUS is a muslin terrier . . .

When the Feds allow local laws to supersede Federal Law, the haters whine about Chicago politics and proclaim that POTUS is a muslin terrier . .

Old 10-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Muslin terrier?

Closed Thread