Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Things that make ya go Hmmmmm . .

This is a discussion on Things that make ya go Hmmmmm . . within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. GOP States Are The Most Dependent On Government If we learned nothing else during the 2012 election, it is that

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

GOP States Are The Most Dependent On Government

Quote:
If we learned nothing else during the 2012 election, it is that some of us are makers, hard-working folk solely responsible for America's prosperity, and others are takers, who want the federal government to pay for luxuries like food and health care.

What may come as some surprise is where these two warring tribes tend to live. The states with elected officials most likely to espouse anti-taker sentiments -- i.e., Republican-dominated states -- are the most dependent on federal spending, while returning the least to Washington in the way of tax dollars.

That's according to the consumer finance site Wallet Hub, which crunched federal tax and spending data and then ranked states from most to least dependent on Uncle Sam. In the map below, green states are the least dependent, while red states -- appropriately -- are the most dependent.

The "makingest" state, according to the analysis, is Delaware. Delawareans -- this is really what they call themselves -- pay $1 in taxes for every 50 cents they get back from the federal government. Delaware also has the lowest rate of federal contracts received, as a proportion of federal tax dollars paid. And the state has the highest gross domestic product per capita, at $72,642.

The "takingest" states, in a tie, are Mississippi and New Mexico, according to the analysis. Both states take about $3 in federal spending for every $1 contributed in taxes. Both states are highly dependent on federal funding as a percentage of state revenue. And New Mexico, especially, has lots of federal workers.
It does ring thru here in the Great of Texas ( all stand ) where every dollar received from the government is offset against higher welfare payments to political pals . .

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5035877.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2015, 04:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
GOP States Are The Most Dependent On Government

It does ring thru here in the Great of Texas ( all stand ) where every dollar received from the government is offset against higher welfare payments to political pals . .

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5035877.html
Lots of federal workers is a very key statement... Texas if I remember right has the largest population of military personal plus all the support and funding that goes with it...

Mississippi too...

But let's not discount good ole' click bait news
Old 03-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Federal and Military have some bearing, but Texas is not number one on the list . . I cannot speak to other states, but spending by the state here on Education is an embarrassment . . the LT crowd whines about efforts to get the state off the bottom of the list while handing out monies that would otherwise go the Education to political cronies. "Day um . . they try'n to teach Bubba Jr. how to think . . ain't no son of mine got any bidness think'n"

Regardless of the reasons . . it's just one of the things that make ya go Hmmmmmm.

Closed Thread