Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Supreme Court upholds key Obamacare insurance subsidies

This is a discussion on Supreme Court upholds key Obamacare insurance subsidies within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the nationwide availability of tax subsidies that are crucial to the implementation of

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the nationwide availability of tax subsidies that are crucial to the implementation of President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law, handing a major victory to the president.

The court ruled on a 6-3 vote that the 2010 Affordable Care Act, widely known as Obamacare, did not restrict the subsidies to states that establish their own online healthcare exchanges. It marked the second time in three years that the high court ruled against a major challenge to the law brought by conservatives seeking to gut it.

Chief Justice John Roberts was joined by fellow conservative Justice Anthony Kennedy and the courtís liberal members in the majority.

The decision means the subsidies will remain not just in the 13 states that have set up their own exchanges and the three states that have state-federal hybrid exchanges, but also in the 34 states that use the exchange run by the federal government.
. . next manufactured crisis . . .

Supreme Court upholds key Obamacare insurance subsidies | Reuters

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

It makes no difference what the courts rule........US health care is a joke. The subsidies go to insurance companies, and health care, for the most part, may be there but not available as the providers pick and choose what insurance they will accept. When you finally find a provider that will accept the insurance you are looking at a 3-4 month wait to be seen.......unless you want to go to the ER. At the ER you will be instructed to follow up with another doctor. My son was instructed to see a doctor asap........minimum wait was three months for the doctors that would accept his health insurance.

There seems to be no shortage of medical facilities.......I'm surrounded by them and new hospitals are being built in most small cities. Many doctors practice their trade in multiple locations and only see patients on certain days.......makes for a terrific tax write-off to maintain multiple locations.

End of rant.......
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

Not seeing that problem here, but it could be because Houston has such a huge Medical infrastructure . . For the most part, any Dr. accepting Medicare patients seem to be accepting ACA insurance. That and a fairly wide coverage by the major insurance companies could make it easier for Drs to join their group.

It does seem to be important that the buyer look closely at the network before joining.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 AM   #4
Vetustior Humo

I think I'll tune into FOXNEWS [sic] tonight just to see blond hair on fire.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

I've been watching Fox since the ruling came out . . Hair on fire . . craping on one hock and wiping it off on the other! !

Funny how support for "Rule of Law" depends on your politics!

Old 06-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Funny how support for "Rule of Law" depends on your politics!
Thats how it has always been... Look at how Obama was acting when they were deciding on this case
Old 06-25-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

How was that? . . Did he have little blonde ditzs running around with their hair on fire?

Old 06-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

This ruling was a life saver for the GOP Clown Show . . now they don't have to face the ire of 6-8 million voters who just lost Medical Insurance and pretend to have a better plan . . for 8 years now, they have claimed to have a better idea, but nothing every comes out in writing on it . .

Congress can pass another 50 or so repeals and waste millions more trying to pander to the fringe

Old 06-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

Contrary to the rediculous statements about ACA hurting the health care industry, their stocks went up after the ruling . . Some broken system!

With Obamacare Intact, Path to Health-Care Deals Gets Clearer - Bloomberg Business

Old 06-26-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Contrary to the rediculous statements about ACA hurting the health care industry, their stocks went up after the ruling . . Some broken system!

With Obamacare Intact, Path to Health-Care Deals Gets Clearer - Bloomberg Business
Yes - it's a program formulated by the insurance and pharma industries for the benefit of the insurance and pharma industry. The fact that a few million more folks get coverage was just an inconvenient necessity.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 AM   #11
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Oh Boy, another tax for Gov't Medical Care.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:09 AM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Why would confirming a law that has been in effect for 5 years cause a new tax? The medical care continues to be provided by tha same health care professionals that have been doing it for over a hundred years . . Paid by the Same Insurance Comoanies that have been covering folks for over 50 years . . How is that Government Medical Care?

Old 06-26-2015, 04:38 AM   #13
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

They aren't done yet.......

Quote:
Republicans in Congress are moving toward a plan to use a special budgetary process to repeal ObamaCare, after the Supreme Court ruled for a second time to uphold the controversial law.
Republicans plot strategy to repeal Obamacare
Old 06-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Never happen and they know it . . just blowing smoke and pandering to the fringe

Old 06-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #15
Vetustior Humo

I can't believe I'm actually watching the live blog at the SCOTUS
LINK

like I used to do for the NCAA basketball tourney
Old 06-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #16
Vetustior Humo

More hair on fire moments...SCOTUS just ruled:

Fourteenth Amendment requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex.

And to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when a marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out of state.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Neither decision surprised me . . seems like good ol' common sense ( a rarity in Washington these days )

Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Click image for larger version

Name:	healthcaRE.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	240714

Old 06-27-2015, 04:18 AM   #19
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Quote:
How is that Government Medical Care?
Federal Subsidies = Gov't Health Care = New tax coming to the American worker.

plain, and simple.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:27 AM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

After 5 years, what "new" tax?

The government is providing no health care . . Private Doctors do that.

Closed Thread