Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Stupid is as Stupid Does - Republican Senate Letter to Iran

This is a discussion on Stupid is as Stupid Does - Republican Senate Letter to Iran within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Daily Beast Add this to the "I hate Obama so much I can't think straight" file ... or to the

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #1
Vetustior Humo

Daily Beast

Add this to the "I hate Obama so much I can't think straight" file ...

or to the

"My constituents are rabid morons they'll love it and vote for me regardless" file.
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

Cotton and 46 Fellow Senators to Send Open Letter to the Leaders of the Islamic Republic of Iran | Senator Tom Cotton
Old 03-11-2015, 04:32 AM   #3
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I'm pretty well convinced that they can't think at all.

GOP Senators Probably Broke Law With Iran Letter
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #4
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABL View Post
I'm pretty well convinced that they can't think at all.

GOP Senators Probably Broke Law With Iran Letter
...and when they try they get it wrong.

Quote:
It appears from the letter that the Senators do not understand our constitutional system or the power to make binding agreements. Source
Old 03-11-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Looks like these guys have finally come to terms with coming in second place for a long time to come. Their response is to attempt to undermine the office of POTUS at every opportunity.

It would seem to me that a much better strategy would be to develop viable candidates who can compete on the national level. . . apparently not! They have clearly given up on that!

Old 03-11-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Asked about the open letter of 47 US Senators to Iranian leaders, the Iranian Foreign Minister, Dr. Javad Zarif, responded that “in our view, this letter has no legal value and is mostly a propaganda ploy. It is very interesting that while negotiations are still in progress and while no agreement has been reached, some political pressure groups are so afraid even of the prospect of an agreement that they resort to unconventional methods, unprecedented in diplomatic history. This indicates that like Netanyahu, who considers peace as an existential threat, some are opposed to any agreement, regardless of its content.”

Zarif expressed astonishment that some members of US Congress find it appropriate to write to leaders of another country against their own President and administration. He pointed out that from reading the open letter, it seems that the authors not only do not understand international law, but are not fully cognizant of the nuances of their own Constitution when it comes to presidential powers in the conduct of foreign policy.

Foreign Minister Zarif added that “I should bring one important point to the attention of the authors and that is, the world is not the United States, and the conduct of inter-state relations is governed by international law, and not by US domestic law. The authors may not fully understand that in international law, governments represent the entirety of their respective states, are responsible for the conduct of foreign affairs, are required to fulfil the obligations they undertake with other states and may not invoke their internal law as justification for failure to perform their international obligations.”
Tell me again which is the third world country???

Iran Calls GOP Letter 'Propaganda Ploy,' Offers To 'Enlighten' Authors : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 03-12-2015, 04:25 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Rumor has it that the North Koreans have indicated a willingness for the Republicans to help them avoid the sanctions that POTUS has emposed on them as well.

Can ISIL be far behind?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:39 AM   #8
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. The Conservatives have done so well at helping the American people.

Trying to keep the US as the only industrialized country to not have universal health care.

Denied raising the minimum wage to a decent level......but still inefficient with today's costs.

Still trying to use Reagan's Trickle Down economics by giving tax breaks to the wealthy to stimulate the economy.....

But.....they are upholding the Constitution and the freedom of our citizens......unless they are gay or pregnant.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:52 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

165,000+ Sign Petition to Prosecute GOP Senators for Treason

Quote:
A petition on whitehouse.gov calling for charges to be filed against the 47 senators who sent an open letter to the leaders of Iran, possibly in violation of the Logan Act, has collected more than 165,000 signatures in less than two days.

Because the petition exceeded 100,000 signatures within 30 days, the White House is required to respond.

The creator of this petition, known only by the initials C.H., alleges that the 47 senators “committed a treasonous offense when they decided to violate the Logan Act, a 1799 law which forbids unauthorized citizens from negotiating with foreign governments.”
Iran Letter: 165,000+ Sign Petition to Prosecute GOP Senators for Treason

Old 03-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
165,000+ Sign Petition to Prosecute GOP Senators for Treason

Iran Letter: 165,000+ Sign Petition to Prosecute GOP Senators for Treason
When did they try to overthrow the government to warrant treason charges.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:04 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
On another note, millions of Internet users got their law degre last week...
. . I was not one of them . . .

Closed Thread