Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Stand Against the TPP

This is a discussion on Stand Against the TPP within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Both the United States and Canada are working together to destroy the Internet as we know it. The NSA and

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Both the United States and Canada are working together to destroy the Internet as we know it. The NSA and Canada's Bill C-51 have already done the legwork, now the TPP seeks to finish the job. We shouldn't permit our nations to become a virtual Fascist regime. We're going to vote against these efforts and I encourage Americans to do the same.

https://www.fightthetpp.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 07:42 AM   #2

There is nothing in your link that states all of the stuff in your picture, just an e-mail request form...
Old 10-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1369 View Post
There is nothing in your link that states all of the stuff in your picture, just an e-mail request form...
You had to scroll down.

https://openmedia.ca/topics/copyright/trans-pacific-partnership-tpp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

There is always someone out there trying to control or censor the internet...it's never ending.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warborg View Post
There is always someone out there trying to control or censor the internet...it's never ending.
All the more reason to continually fight against it and defend our rights and freedoms.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I've already signed several petitions against it, there's been some massive protests around Europe against it too.

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 10-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

In another we were discussing the fact that you are no longer legally allowed to adjust the carburetors on your own new equipment, even to tune it up to meet environmental emissions regulations. The auto industry and EPA are trying to extend this to everything about the engine, especially the computer system. It may not be too long when a "purchase" of a vehicle will only be a purchase of a license to operate it, you will not per se own it. Just one more lock on the cage where freedom is kept. If the 20th century taught the world anything it's that totalitarian control is not a viable means of government. The state feeds its populace diverse mollifying soporifics but eventually the people will always wake up.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Somehow I do not sense any loss of freedom if domain names are to be associated with a real name or address . .

Old 10-16-2015, 05:01 PM   #9
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Somehow I do not sense any loss of freedom if domain names are to be associated with a real name or address . .
While this may sound like a good thing to some, many people would be hesitant to search for information or seek advice on things like spousal abuse, certain medical conditions or psychiatric care, etc. were they not to remain anonymous. The same goes for those who strive to keep powerful organizations and the government in check and assure that they are working for the overall betterment rather than just for themselves.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Actually I think this is a good thing. Now we will get to see a name associated with all the domains that flood the internet with crap. Also, we'll get to see the name of the corporate officer of every company that has a domain....Oh wait, in all probably you and I will not have access to these data - only governments.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
While this may sound like a good thing to some, many people would be hesitant to search for information or seek advice on things like spousal abuse, certain medical conditions or psychiatric care, etc. were they not to remain anonymous. The same goes for those who strive to keep powerful organizations and the government in check and assure that they are working for the overall betterment rather than just for themselves.
You have to set up a domain name to search the internet???

Old 10-16-2015, 06:10 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

People just don't like being forced to do anything. And besides, while anonymising domain names doesn't protect much, it still prevents the general populace from discovering said information. Please don't get hooked up on one point you disagree with.

Ody
Old 10-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

Nothing in that list is forcing me to do anything . .

Old 10-16-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

Ok, let me give an example. Let's say that the fictional website terriblyabusedspouse.com is forced to list its physical address and the names of its owners. That would make it very easy for someone convicted of abuse to take out their frustrations on the people who they see as those responsible for their "punching bag" leaving them.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

https://act.demandprogress.org/sign/TPP3strikes/
Demand Progress | Tell our leaders: Don't sign the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Stop The Trap | OpenMedia International

Okay it might not force you to do or not do anything you wouldn't already be doing - or not doing - but this would be akin to claiming that you never utilise free speech in the first place so removing that constitutional right wouldn't matter.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:05 AM   #16
Vetustior Humo

HERE is the (supposed) text of the TPP regarding intellectual property. It's 60 pages; please direct us to the section(s) that so alarmed you. I read the first few pages and it's filled with a lot of weasel words such as: "The Parties will endeavor to..."

Plus, it's being touted that the TPP includes countries that together account for 40% of global GDP. But HERE ARE the actual numbers:

USA = 16%
Japan = 4%
Mexico = 2%
Canada = 1.5%
Australia = 1%
Malaysia = 0.7%
Chile = 0.4%
Singapore = 0.4%
Peru = 0.3%
Vietnam = 0.4%
New Zealand = 0.2
Brunei Darussalam = <0.1%

Total ~27%

When they start off with a lie it makes the rest of the argument less than trustworthy.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:30 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Let me give another example . . I see a domain named "Freedom Party". . It would be good to know that it is actually the Tea Party when they tell me about all the freedoms I have lost . . And that all they really stand for is hating our Black POTUS.

These days, when someone complains about loosing freedoms, I immediately assume they are actually wanting to cover up bad behavior

Old 10-17-2015, 07:35 AM   #18
MPR
TSF Enthusiast

I think that the main thing that people don't like so much is that such treaties remove a country's ability to act independently. WWI may not have escalated into what it did had not everyone been obligated to take one side or another because of a treaty.

Quote:
These days, when someone complains about loosing freedoms, I immediately assume they are actually wanting to cover up bad behavior.
Sounds sort of familiar...

"Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God's slaves."-- 1 Peter 2:16

Some balk at the idea of being slaves.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating contest of freedom...crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!" -- Samuel Adams
Old 10-17-2015, 10:16 AM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

So we really don't understand why we are against the treaty but we kinds, sorta somehow think that it will encourage wife beating . . start new wars . . and take away our as yet undefined freedoms??

And the side effect that it brings some regulation of international trade, which does not exist now, and opens new markets for US ( and Canadian ) manufacturing must be a bad thing??

Old 10-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #20

One thing people always seem to forget when they start talking about "jobs lost" in the US/Canada and now even more so, Mexico, when it comes to free trade is textile... yes, we outsourced our pants and shirts to Asia BUT, all those countries buy their cotten from US sources... OMG, the horror that people can't make shirts in the US or Canada anymore...

Most of the countries in TPP still dont have the industrial bases in manufacturing as the US... we make big expensive stuff, we sell 787 to Vietnam, while they send us T-shirts and to have tarriffs on that stuff we send can become too cost prohibitive...

All of the countries involved win with this deal
Closed Thread