Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

Solar vs. Utilities

This is a discussion on Solar vs. Utilities within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Another thread touched on the hostilities of utilities regarding consumer solar power generation. I've seen that in a few other

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Another thread touched on the hostilities of utilities regarding consumer solar power generation. I've seen that in a few other areas where the power companies are reluctant to embrace residential solar expansion and try to find it at the legislative level.

I don't get that. Generating and distributing power is expensive. Power plants are dinosaurs using outdated technology. Many of them were built 50 years ago or more. With the exception of hydro, the majority of older plants are polluters and hydro plants took a toll on surrounding lands when they were built.

So, why not embrace solar and wind at the utility level? Why not use the solar expansion at the residential level to generate power and distribute it to the homes that can't install their own solar for some reason? Utilities could install solar on commercial rooftops also and use those to generate and sell power instead of the cumbersome older plants.

It will take a while to replace the coal and NG capacity, but until they start ..... well, that date won't get any closer.

It's hard to install wind turbines in urban areas, but there is an awful lot of commercial roof top square footage that could be used for solar panels.

Far less costly to maintain than burner plants in the long run and if configured properly, less customers would be 'out' if something failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

The electric and NG provider where I live is owned by the city, thus by the tax payers. They offer some rather nice incentives to have solar arrays installed. Given the amount of sunlight we get it's really a no brainer.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

A lot of governments around the world see 'personal solar-power' as tax-free energy, they can't (yet) tax sunlight without getting lynched, or worse still voted out

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Many power companies are working on having a fee applied to people who go solar or wind, intended 'to offset the cost of maintenance on the distribution system'

I've always thought that commercial roof tops should be used for either solar power, or converted to 'green spaces' that ca be used as parks/playgrounds/community garden areas etc. The nearest city to me has a few square miles of roof top that could be used.

Edit : heck, while they're at it, roof over parking lots with solar cells. If I owned a building with a large parking lot, I'd be jumping on the chance to either lease it out for that purpose or do it myself.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendallt View Post
Many power companies are working on having a fee applied to people who go solar or wind, intended 'to offset the cost of maintenance on the distribution system'

My point is for them to work towards shutting down the fossil fuel generating plants or reduce capacity to only that necessary to augment what comes from solar. The cost savings could be used for grid maintenance.

Covering over parking lots could work also.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:01 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Waaay back in June this year, the UK set a new record for the amount of energy produced by wind and solar, over 50% of the UK's needs from renewable sources

That's without the individual 'private' solar panels and wind-turbines

BBC News link

Live, Laugh, Hope - If that don't work Load, Aim and Fire....
Old 10-12-2017, 05:33 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

The local utility monopoly (100% diesel generated @ $0.38/KWH!) has negotiated a legislated CAP on the percentage of privately rendered power allowed to be connected and fed back to the grid, plus they get to discount by 25% the rate reimbursed to the customer so connected!

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #8
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
Covering over parking lots could work also.
could work does work

Southwest Region Navy Compass | Naval Base San Diego Photovoltaic Projects
Old 10-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Gone | Not Forgotten

Production is cheap. batteries are not.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
Production is cheap. batteries are not.

BG
Batteries for a typical 2000 sf home runs about $12,000. Certainly not cheap but even at that price the cost of a new nuclear power plant would buy 500,000 of them. And prices will undoubtedly come down dramatically over the next few years (assuming no interference from the Trumpanista.) And, depending on where you live the payback may be 5-10 years.

The extraction industry has had it's day. The damage has been done. Time to move on. The conversion to solar and wind is inevitable.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
Gone | Not Forgotten

It ain't going to happen in my life time so I don't worry about it

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
It ain't going to happen in my life time so I don't worry about it

BG

I totally agree with you, -IF- it happens several hundred year's in the future.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
It ain't going to happen in my life time so I don't worry about itBG
I'm pretty much resigned to the same! Born to soon...

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Closed Thread