Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > Current Events

User Tag List

"Silk Road 2" Admin and Servers Seized

This is a discussion on "Silk Road 2" Admin and Servers Seized within the Current Events forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Krebs on Security > 06 Nov 12 > Feds Arrest Alleged ‘Silk Road 2′ Admin, Seize Servers Federal prosecutors in

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

KrebsonSecurity > 06 Nov 12 > Feds Arrest Alleged ‘Silk Road 2′ Admin, Seize Servers
Quote:
Federal prosecutors in New York today announced the arrest and charging of a San Francisco man they say ran the online drug bazaar and black market known as Silk Road 2.0. In conjunction with the arrest, U.S. and European authorities have jointly seized control over the servers that hosted Silk Road 2.0 marketplace.

[ ...continues...]

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silk_Road_2_Seized_01.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	203474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I wonder how long it will be before Silk Road 3 opens.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Don't know. According to the article, Silk Road 2.0 came online less than a month after federal agents shut down the original Silk Road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Silk Road 2.0: Global Sweep Shuts Down Hundreds More 'Dark Market' Sites
Old 11-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

BBC > Huge raid to shut down 400-plus dark net sites
Old 11-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
Automotive Team

They shut down Silk Road and Silk Road 2, but for some reason they can't touch the underweb as a whole
Old 11-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Silk Road 2.0 and 400 other sites believed to be selling illegal items including drugs and weapons have already been shut down.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

makes you wonder if there is a backdoor to tor in spite of all the recent press they cannot get access. seems to me tor is becoming a honey pot.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #9
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Could be, but of course they would never reveal it if they did.

Quote:
... the raid represented both a technological breakthrough - with police using new techniques to track down the physical location of dark net servers - as well as seeing an unprecedented level of international co-operation among law enforcement agencies.

"Today we have demonstrated that, together, we are able to efficiently remove vital criminal infrastructures that are supporting serious organised crime," said Troels Oerting, head of Europol's European cybercrime centre.

"And we are not 'just' removing these services from the open internet; this time we have also hit services on the dark net using Tor where, for a long time, criminals have considered themselves beyond reach," he added.
The so-called deep web - the anonymous part of the internet - is estimated to be anything up to 500 times the size of the surface web.

Within that experts refer to the dark net - the part of the network which Tor operates on. There are approximately three million Tor users but the number of sites may be smaller.

Prof Alan Woodward a security consultant from the University of Surrey who also advises Europol, said that the shutdown represents a new era in the fight against cybercrime.

"Tor has long been considered beyond the reach of law enforcement. This action proves that it is neither invisible nor untouchable," he said.
The cat and mouse games continue ...
Old 11-09-2014, 12:34 PM   #10
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Silk Road 2.0 and 400 other sites believed to be selling illegal items including drugs and weapons have already been shut down.
Yea only 400, want to know how many there really are?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post

you would know
Old 11-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Quote:

Quote:
The so-called deep web - the anonymous part of the internet - is estimated to be anything up to 500 times the size of the surface web.

Within that experts refer to the dark net - the part of the network which Tor operates on. There are approximately three million Tor users but the number of sites may be smaller.
"Tor has long been considered beyond the reach of law enforcement. This action proves that it is neither invisible nor untouchable,"...
Old 11-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

according to the following article, silk road 3 was in business Friday.

'Dark Web' drug site challenge law enforcement
Old 11-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

But of course. The fact that Blake was earning $4.8 million a year selling drugs is rather enticing. ;)
Old 11-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #15
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
you would know
And what makes you think I would know, It isn't because I can be a 7 year old girl with parents, school records, house, parents places of employment, and annual incomes, rent and everything else including a puppy love boyfriend in about 20 minutes is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeit View Post
according to the following article, silk road 3 was in business Friday.

'Dark Web' drug site challenge law enforcement
Yes silk 3 is working now :) Not that I'd know or anything.
I just surf and find info on the underweb, I don't partake anymore
Old 11-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Quote:
And what makes you think I would know, It isn't because I can be a 7 year old girl with parents, school records, house, parents places of employment, and annual incomes, rent and everything else including a puppy love boyfriend in about 20 minutes is it?
This is so much fun! I assisted local LEO's with these setups in a 'previous life,' and we scored dozens of arrests & convictions on the PEDO's behind it! One of the victims was a former student of mine who was abducted and exploited. This was the impetus that got me involved initially.

Quote:
Yes silk 3 is working now :) Not that I'd know or anything.
I just surf and find info on the underweb, I don't partake anymore
You don't "partake anymore?" What were you 'partaking' of before??

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 11-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #17
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post
This is so much fun! I assisted local LEO's with these setups in a 'previous life,' and we scored dozens of arrests & convictions on the PEDO's behind it! One of the victims was a former student of mine who was abducted and exploited. This was the impetus that got me involved initially.

You don't "partake anymore?" What were you 'partaking' of before??
Back in the Windows 95 thru Xp SP1 days I used to take windows apart and do stuff to it to make it better and enter bank security hacking contests, and I may or may not have made a certain child molesters life a little.....shall we say....uneasy, and there the whole changing my own password in the city's computer database thing. Nothing real major or hard core, but I do still read things and hope its true and not some underweb nut case that mad at uncle sam. But I've never dropped a web server or stolen people names and bank acct numbers, and I WISH I was as good as that kid I saw in a movie once that could hack into anything, Now I basically root Samsung and LG phones for people and install custom roms
as for Pedos, I don' bother assisting locals with them, I have 4 dogs, I know what to do with those type of people
Old 11-11-2014, 03:42 AM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Back in the Windows 95 thru Xp SP1 days I used to take windows apart and do stuff to it to make it better and enter bank security hacking contests, and I may or may not have made a certain child molesters life a little.....shall we say....uneasy, and there the whole changing my own password in the city's computer database thing. Nothing real major or hard core, but I do still read things and hope its true and not some underweb nut case that mad at uncle sam.
I did some VERY serious 'exploring' back in the days of C=64 and early PC/XT's that caught the attention of a local bank, who then hired me as a security consultant after I left network messages on their employee's systems. The bank was using VAX and dialup for their employees to tele-commute even back then. I did the same when I worked as a trainer/security consultant for a major electronics manufacturer in the 80's-90's.

The abducted kid who was my former HS student was rescued by local police after I back-traced his abductor's modem connects to a then well known PEDO BBS.

Quote:
But I've never dropped a web server or stolen people names and bank acct numbers, and I WISH I was as good as that kid I saw in a movie once that could hack into anything, Now I basically root Samsung and LG phones for people and install custom roms
as for Pedos, I don' bother assisting locals with them, I have 4 dogs, I know what to do with those type of people
Today I run a non-profit computer recycling program locally and teach kids ages 10-18 A+ and NET+ certification, while making discarded computer equipment useable again. It sure helps keep all that toxic waste out of the landfill for just a little while longer too!

I have had several 'script kiddies' that were sentenced to my program by the juvenile court for making most of the banks, law & accounting firms and the local police IT departments miserable for months. They left traceable 'bread crumbs' in many systems and ultimately got caught by using social media to brag about their exploits. Gotta be sure to take credit, ya know!

Two of them now work as certified IT techs for a local office supply company and have become model employees.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:23 AM   #19
Automotive Team

Yea social media is NOT the best place to brag about what you do LMAO
used to be able to make a cockroach crawl across somebody screen in the old modem 3.1.1 days all the way up to the 98SE days, but things now days change faster than I can keep up, and I prefer to be as simple as I can now days anyway.
Besides with a wood stove and a Garden I really don't have time to re learn everything anyway, thats why I stay with phones, mainly Samsung they are cheap, easy and a Dilbert can do it, AND I can STILL keep big brother out of my phone :) only thing is, now days they can trace me with my trash can according to the local news who reported this morning that they are placing sensors in your trash cans to see what you toss out LOL
Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
....they can trace me with my trash can according to the local news who reported this morning that they are placing sensors in your trash cans to see what you toss out LOL
BIG BROTHER is definitely watching us. Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you!

Better that than the highly specialized toilets in Japan that can actually analyze the 'output' and tell what you ate and drank the previous day, plus diagnose your blood sugar, cholesterol, body fat and many other critical parameters.....!

Japanese toilet analyzes stool, beams results to cell phones via personalized URLs | TechCrunch

It even beams the results to your cell phone or another authorized recipient!

Closed Thread